Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By [email protected] Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:21 am
I was wondering if there's a modern hardware equivalent to the s5000? I use mine to create complex pads and keyboard parts, (((I have an MPC for drum-type sampling))). Are there any new hardware samplers in the $300-$600 range that could replace my s5000?

I LOVE the workflow and functionality of my s5000, but it's proven itself to be unreliable for touring, and it's too damn big, bulky, and heavy.

ANY help would be MASSIVELY APPRECIATED!!!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!
By mr_debauch Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:54 am
do you also need it to be 19" rack mount? I guess while it is not new, it is still a bit more recent... the akai z4 or z8 (sort of similar differences that the s5000 and s6000 had to each other) but for some reason people charge a good chunk of change for those... often an mpc4000 can be had for the same price if not cheaper.

i wonder, do they still make rack samplers these days? Maybe not even.. now that i think about it.
By richie Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:37 am
I cannot foresee any logical reason for a manufacturer to come up with a modern equivalent of a rackmount sampler.

The cost of development alone would be pointless as the in thing right now is all modular synthesis and tiny toy boxes for granular sample editing.

It almost seems like you'd be better off buying any spare S5000 and S6000 units you can find. It's cool that you are still willing to lug them around to gigs as their size is the same as a pc tower.
By [email protected] Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:45 am
Doesn't have to be rackmount...anything with that can do what the s5000 can do...the Teenage Engineering OP-1 looks promising, but those go for $1000+!!!

I'm thinking maybe a Z4 would work. Just the sheer size and weight of the 5000 is a real drag, so a Z4/8 would help my lower-back.

I dragged my s5000 across the country on 2 separate tours. It got real old real quick. Ha
By richie Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:01 am
[email protected] wrote:I'm thinking maybe a Z4 would work. Just the sheer size and weight of the 5000 is a real drag, so a Z4/8 would help my lower-back.
I dragged my s5000 across the country on 2 separate tours. It got real old real quick. Ha

General rule of thumb, lift with your legs - not your back.

The size difference between the Z4 and Z8 is so minimal. Especially if you're carrying it in a mobile rack case for gigging.

My only stress with my S6000 is not to get cut on it when transporting it around, the f*cking rack arms are sharp.
By [email protected] Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:49 am
Oh yeah. I've cut myself numerous times, and thrashed a nice pair of boots from navigating the sharp rack-ear corners! By itself, the weight of the s5000 is fine, but when you have to load in a shit ton of other gear, it really gets to be a drag day-in/day-out on tour.

I was hoping there's be something more compact like an OP-1 or something from Elektron with equivalent functionality in the $600 range, but so far....nothing.

Something modern and more reliable would be nice. And I'd really prefer to not run software from a laptop, but if that's what I ultimately have to do, then so be it.