Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By chino Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:49 pm
Roland has a new groove box coming soon...

Clip-based sequencing for production and performance
Like the most popular sequencing apps for your computer, the Roland MC-707 features clip-based sequencing that gives you a ton of creative potential. Eight tracks are available — use the built-in ZEN-Core sounds for pounding drums and vibrant synth sounds and effects. Or connect a microphone, turntables, or other sound source, and record audio clips for looping or one shots. Whatever you create, you can save your projects to SD card media (included).

Tons of built-in sounds to expand on:
The Roland MC-707 is loaded with over 3,000 sounds including pounding basses, vibrant leads, spacious pads, and much more — and that's in addition to over 80 preset drum kits. You'll quickly be able to start creating your own user samples and drum kits, with high-quality sample recording up to 24-bit/96kHz sound quality. And with 90 types of multi-effects processing plus mastering effects, you have endless options for re-sampling and processing your custom sounds.

Choose your workflow:
The MC-707 offers flexibility when it comes to workflow. It's a powerful music production center on its own, with over 3,000 built-in sounds to explore. You can sequence your other synths and sound generators via MIDI, capturing their sounds as audio clips (up to 16 clips per track) and saved right along with your project. You can also record your own loops and samples via mic input, or upload your own user samples via SD card directly.

Roland MC-707 Groovebox Features:
Modern groove production center with 3,000 built-in sounds and 80 drum kits
8 tracks of sequencing or audio playback, up to 64 sequence steps
16 expressive pads for playing bass lines, grooves, and melodies
Clip-based sequencing with up to 16 clips per track (128 total)
Capture your own samples and loops via audio input (mic/line level)
Save your custom sounds and projects to SD card media (included)
Record high-quality audio up to 32-bit/96kHz
Built-in multi-effects include 90 types of track effects and mastering effects
Looper supports time stretch and pitch shift
Combines sequencing, groove production, and sampling in a single package
Equally suited for making music on its own, as a master sequencer for external synths, or as a groove station locked to a master sequencer

This is DEFINITELY :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: my next studio addition unless Roland releases a MC-909 before Christmas...
By JUKE 179r Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:30 pm
What? No MV-9000?????
By chino Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:44 pm
JUKE 179r wrote:What? No MV-9000?????

:lol: :lol: I think they are just "getting their feet wet" to determine demand. IMHO, there will probably be a MC-909 release(if the MC-707 is successful) before a MV-9000 is ever released!!
By chino Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:27 pm
Link to a really good review below:

Im looking at the MC-707 as a replacement to my MV8800. I would need slicing added because as of now, there is no Sample slicing function. Mutiple people have mentioned that this machine is DEEP so there is alot of MENU diving & the SHIFT button gets used heavy. The reviewer also mentioned that the MC-707 is laggy & unresponsive at times. Im hoping Roland fixes/improves this.

The sheer amount of features, efx & functionality is VERY IMPRESSIVE!! Im sure Roland will iron out the OS to make it a more user friendly experience & add MUCH NEEDED features (Sample slicing) down the road!!
By chino Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:42 pm
Im also considering the SP-2400. Build quality DEF goes to Isla. Info on software functionality, features etc is pretty limited.

I know what to expect with the Roland MC-707. I'm just NOT a fan of MENU diving or the SHIFT button!!!

Im sure Isla will provide more software/feature info once its ready...
By kb420ps Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:36 pm
I saw this video earlier today, and while this does seem interesting, I can't see why someone would pick this over a MPC Live.
By Cockdiesel Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:30 pm
I don’t think this would be a very good replacement for a Mv. This seems more along the lines of the pioneer products with a groove box twist.

Looking at the specs on the new phantom I think it’s going to be awhile before you a replacement for the mv. They basically are using the 404 as the sampling section of it.

You’d be way better off using a Mpc live as a replacement for the mv at this point. Might not be the perfect replacement but there really isn’t much out there. Plus updating the tech is such a breath of fresh air.
By chino Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:24 pm
Yea, I'll prob be retired before the release of a new updated MV8800!!! :lol: :lol:
By Lampdog Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:02 am
Cockdiesel wrote:They basically are using the 404 as the sampling section of it.

I feel like they did this same thing on Fa-06. It’s not what I wanted in a Triton Extreme replacement and so I passed on it years ago.

Say NO to phrase samplers people.
By peterpiper Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:22 pm
too small display for such an instrument
multiFX only on master??? Why??
looks and sound (when he move the fader) like cheap plastic
synth sounds not that great IMO
this and more = this is not for me

peace
By distortedtekno Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:09 am
Lampdog wrote:
Cockdiesel wrote:They basically are using the 404 as the sampling section of it.

I feel like they did this same thing on Fa-06. It’s not what I wanted in a Triton Extreme replacement and so I passed on it years ago.

Say NO to phrase samplers people.

Yeah I remember when the FA-06 came out and that was the first thing I noticed. Same as the 404sx. I don’t miss the 404sx that I sold. Very limited sampler. But the effects weren’t bad.

Now with the MC-707, I spent a few hours yesterday catching up with all the videos and up on Roland’s website. Someone one on of those videos said that if you’re a TR-8S owner, you’re gonna want the MC-707. Someone mentioned that it’s better than the TR-8S. Then there was someone else saying that the MC-707 is what the TR-8S should’ve been. After looking at all the specs, I couldn’t agree with any of those opinions. I think it’s a nice piece of gear. But comparing it with the TR-8S is like comparing apples and oranges. One is a dedicated drum machine and the other is a groovebox/workstation. Just because it shares the same style panel and knobs, people wanna lump ‘em together. Some of these dudes that make these videos really lack a lot of knowledge between all the different models in the TR and MC series. I get put off by a lot of misinformation in these videos lately. But I’ll save that rant for another time.

The bottom line is that I definitely wouldn’t sell my TR-8S for the MC-707. The MC-707 has the 808, 909, 707, and whatever TR series sounds built in, as mentioned by these cats. BUT they’re not ACB models. They’re samples. So there’s my first reason for keeping the TR-8S. The synths are not ACB models. They’re from another synth engine and offer nothing comparable to all the synths I already have. Working with clips ain’t for me. I’m more into the x0x style sequencing and performance. I use more ACB modeling than I do samples. So I don’t need more than what the TR-8S offers for samples. There’s a hell of a lot more menu diving in the MC-707 than the TR-8S.

If the TR-8S never existed, I probably would buy the MC-707. But as it stands, I really couldn’t justify buying it when I got everything I need. I’ll most likely buy the JU-06A when I can. I got just enough room to squeeze it in to my desktop setup.
By mr_debauch Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:08 am
i agree, but at the same time i am glad they continued the MC line and started baking groove boxes again. It doesn't appear to have groovebox written on it this time... and where is the D-beam? otherwise it's a cool piece.
By distortedtekno Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:36 am
mr_debauch wrote:i agree, but at the same time i am glad they continued the MC line and started baking groove boxes again. It doesn't appear to have groovebox written on it this time... and where is the D-beam? otherwise it's a cool piece.

No D Beam. But Groovebox is labeled on the top right corner.