Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By chino Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:20 pm
Cockdiesel wrote:Man... I haven’t dug deep into 707, but I’m thinking that roland is working toward a true successor to the MV. I couldn’t stand all that menu diving and editing on that small screen but I’m thinking if they pulled it off right they might have a monster that would really give Akai some competition. Might be a year or two out, but still.

I hope Roland is working on a true MV successor too! It certainly feels like it. I would need a larger screen and/or a HDMI output. The CPU would need to be fast with user upgradeable RAM & SSD storage.
By terry towelling Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:03 am
the fantom range is the successor to the mv. that's where roland's flagship samplers are.

the mv is perfect as it is. it already has a larger screen -- connect a computer monitor. and you can install an ssd storage.
any supposed successor would probably lose features, not gain any. i bet it wouldn't have a floppy drive and a cd drive. and you know it will not be as well built.
By Cockdiesel Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:12 am
well Look at the two price points of the 707 and the fantom. I think they could strip the fantom from the keybed. And put some pads on it....
Could sit real nice at a 2k price point.

Speaking of which I know the 707 just got a sampling straight, did the fantom get sampling finally?
By terry towelling Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:36 am
aahhh...the fantoms aren't full feautured samplers? i guess i just just assumed they were sampling workstations.

ok. i agree that roland needs to make a successor to the MV.

i want ensoniq style looping functions.
By chino Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:47 pm
[quote="terry towelling"]The mv is perfect as it is. it already has a larger screen -- connect a computer monitor. and you can install an ssd storage.
./quote]

I have a MV8800 connected to a large LED monitor with a SSD, maxed RAM, MV8-OP1 expansion, upgraded low noise fan BUT it is soooooo SLOW! I really like the direction Roland is headed with the MC-707. I just wish it had a larger screen or the ability to output to one- similar to the MV. My old eyes don't do well with tiny screens anymore! :lol: :lol:
By chino Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:56 pm
terry towelling wrote:
ok. i agree that roland needs to make a successor to the MV. I want ensoniq style looping functions.

+1! I believe the new SP-2400 will have a hybrid RC-505/Ensoniq style looping function!! :-D :nod:
Bymember04959388 Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:52 pm
I just ordered a 707 after a month experience with 101.
The 101 sits perfectly next to Mpc, they complete each other, the synths in it stand perfectly on a mix and it has the better electric pianos you can find on a groovebox. Also the effects are top class and if you load samples on it, you can pitchshift them in a way that Akai should really learn from.
I just miss the deep edit of sounds, something mc101 is capable only in a limited way.
That's why I ordered 707.
This boxes are really great, they sound just perfect.
By chino Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:48 pm
Frisbi wrote:I just ordered a 707 after a month experience with 101.
The 101 sits perfectly next to Mpc, they complete each other, the synths in it stand perfectly on a mix and it has the better electric pianos you can find on a groovebox. Also the effects are top class and if you load samples on it, you can pitchshift them in a way that Akai should really learn from.
I just miss the deep edit of sounds, something mc101 is capable only in a limited way.

Does the MC-707 have a 'real time time stretch' function? I've been going back & forth between buying a MC-707 or waiting for the Isla SP 2400.
Bymember04959388 Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:33 pm
chino wrote:
Frisbi wrote:I just ordered a 707 after a month experience with 101.

Does the MC-707 have a 'real time time stretch' function? I've been going back & forth between buying a MC-707 or waiting for the Isla SP 2400.

It has a pitchshifter which works great on any material, synth drums and imported samples.
It has also a slice for samples but I don't kow how it is because it's missing on 101 and I have to wait for 707 to come and test it.
The possibilities anyway are many, you can also program all scatter effects as you want, you have step filters and step phasers totally customable, you can slow down the master tempo without affecting the pitches.
When 707 comes, I tell you about the sample slice option.
By TheFunkNerd Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:34 pm
kb420ps wrote:I saw this video earlier today, and while this does seem interesting, I can't see why someone would pick this over a MPC Live.

Because the sounds/expansions are amazing. So good I got one. So, MPC Live II + MC 707.
By rtofvnt Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:10 pm
I finally bought MC707 to run along with my MPC Live.
2 weeks now and every evening I'm finding something new / interesting ... or bad about the MC707.
TL,DR version - those two machines complement each other. Sampling / chopping / editing / assigning - MPC rules / MC - sux.
However - once you have a sample as a source of the sound in Zen core synth engine - I think more can be done.
Quite often I noticed that people trying to use MC for hip hop style stuff and criticize it for the small memory etc.. That's why you buy MPC.
I bought MPC as a centrepiece for my techno stuff and I did struggle, because I grew on grooveboxes back in days. MPC does a lot of things, BUT in my hands it never turned into what MC gives us instantly. For around techno / electronic kind of music, it's way quicker to start.
Sound-wise ... it's always subjective. Somehow synth plugins for me on MPC just don't do at all. Never use it (I have couple of viruses tho).
By ace_of_dub Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:07 am
rtofvnt wrote:I finally bought MC707 to run along with my MPC Live.
2 weeks now and every evening I'm finding something new / interesting ... or bad about the MC707.
TL,DR version - those two machines complement each other. Sampling / chopping / editing / assigning - MPC rules / MC - sux.
However - once you have a sample as a source of the sound in Zen core synth engine - I think more can be done.
Quite often I noticed that people trying to use MC for hip hop style stuff and criticize it for the small memory etc.. That's why you buy MPC.
I bought MPC as a centrepiece for my techno stuff and I did struggle, because I grew on grooveboxes back in days. MPC does a lot of things, BUT in my hands it never turned into what MC gives us instantly. For around techno / electronic kind of music, it's way quicker to start.
Sound-wise ... it's always subjective. Somehow synth plugins for me on MPC just don't do at all. Never use it (I have couple of viruses tho).

Interesting, Did you manage to synchronize both sequencers and make them play together at the same time without any MIDI offset or latency between the 2 or MIDI jitter?