Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Fre$hBreath Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:24 am
Danoc wrote:Fresh YOU are banned from all Behringer products effective immediately! Lmao :lol:

You aint no jollke when it comes to Behr! Are you in the dam warehouse? Lol :lol:

2600 and 800 look sick. A lot of spaghetti though :smoker:

I believe the 2600, MonoPoloy, and RD-9 will be my last buys from Behringer I'm out of physical space and going to put some of my gear like my Roland TR-8 & System-1, my Casio CZ-5000 and my Ensoniq Mirage in storage so I can have room for the 2600, RD-9, and Monopoly. I want the P800, but I can see any space for it.
By Monotremata Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:03 am
bees80 wrote:That's fair. I'm interested in the blofeld but it looks like heaps of menu diving. Already have an analog four for that :D

You won't want a Micro Q then, its basically older code of the same architecture as the Blofeld without the wavetable engine. Its the same menu style, just like the original Microwaves and the Pulse. And its broken in spots, some of the Mod Matrix routings don't work among other little things. The MicroQ wasn't anything special nowadays. Just a really good sounding VA, but older. When it dropped, the competition wasn't so great so it was a hit, but then Waldorf went bankrupt, etc, etc.. I dug it but it just wasn't anything special over anything else I have. Replaced it with a sampler last year hah.

The Blofeld editing is actually better cause of the screen, but inside its a totally different beast though. The MicroQ was the little brother of the Q. Its all virtual analog, made for the dance floor, fat sounding and heavy Waldorf style 'regular' kind of synth. It had two little teaser wavetables in it like the Q. The Blofeld is like the MicroQ and the Microwave smoked a bunch of pcp and had a baby. Does everything the MicroQ could do, plus it has the wavetable engine from the Microwave series in it, along with all the wavetables from the original PPG Wave too. It does the 'virtual analog' like a Q, the saw/square/sine/triangle/whatever are the oscillators from the Q. In the Microwave, the analog waveforms are all just tacked onto the last three slots of every wavetable, so its a pain to do VA synth stuff with it and it **** up regular wavetable sweeps if you use 100% modulation. I bought the sample option for it when Waldorf had it on sale for $20 a few months ago and it RULES. It cant replace my Microwave XT, but its never leaving my setup either.
By Danoc Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:25 am
Wow :shock: so you are getting the 2600. I was right you're no joke when it comes to synths.

Fre$hBreath wrote:I believe the 2600, MonoPoloy, and RD-9 will be my last buys from Behringer I'm out of physical space and going to put some of my gear like my Roland TR-8 & System-1, my Casio CZ-5000 and my Ensoniq Mirage in storage so I can have room for the 2600, RD-9, and Monopoly. I want the P800, but I can see any space for it.
By bees80 Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:29 am
Monotremata wrote:
bees80 wrote:That's fair. I'm interested in the blofeld but it looks like heaps of menu diving. Already have an analog four for that :D

You won't want a Micro Q then, its basically older code of the same architecture as the Blofeld without the wavetable engine. Its the same menu style, just like the original Microwaves and the Pulse. And its broken in spots, some of the Mod Matrix routings don't work among other little things. The MicroQ wasn't anything special nowadays. Just a really good sounding VA, but older. When it dropped, the competition wasn't so great so it was a hit, but then Waldorf went bankrupt, etc, etc.. I dug it but it just wasn't anything special over anything else I have. Replaced it with a sampler last year hah.

The Blofeld editing is actually better cause of the screen, but inside its a totally different beast though. The MicroQ was the little brother of the Q. Its all virtual analog, made for the dance floor, fat sounding and heavy Waldorf style 'regular' kind of synth. It had two little teaser wavetables in it like the Q. The Blofeld is like the MicroQ and the Microwave smoked a bunch of pcp and had a baby. Does everything the MicroQ could do, plus it has the wavetable engine from the Microwave series in it, along with all the wavetables from the original PPG Wave too. It does the 'virtual analog' like a Q, the saw/square/sine/triangle/whatever are the oscillators from the Q. In the Microwave, the analog waveforms are all just tacked onto the last three slots of every wavetable, so its a pain to do VA synth stuff with it and it **** up regular wavetable sweeps if you use 100% modulation. I bought the sample option for it when Waldorf had it on sale for $20 a few months ago and it RULES. It cant replace my Microwave XT, but its never leaving my setup either.

Thanks for this very complete explanation, appreciated! Maybe i should get a blofeld, because i'd really like a wavetable synth. This really got me interested: ''The Blofeld is like the MicroQ and the Microwave smoked a bunch of pcp and had a baby" :D

But how would you rate the menu diving for programming your own sounds on the blofeld? I had a microkorg for over 15 years and I never felt like too much programming in it, because it is just so cumbersome.. But i guess with the blofeld it's pretty different since you have a screen?
By CharlesRandolph Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:49 am
bees80 wrote:Thanks for this very complete explanation, appreciated! Maybe i should get a blofeld, because i'd really like a wavetable synth. This really got me interested: ''The Blofeld is like the MicroQ and the Microwave smoked a bunch of pcp and had a baby" :D

But how would you rate the menu diving for programming your own sounds on the blofeld? I had a microkorg for over 15 years and I never felt like too much programming in it, because it is just so cumbersome.. But i guess with the blofeld it's pretty different since you have a screen?

Have you played around with the Waldorf Kyra? That's like the blofeld, microkorg, microq, breeded with Andre the Giant and Shaq, spliced the genes and mixed it with Godzilla. :hmmm: I should get one and then I can stop window shopping. :lol:
By Monotremata Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:56 pm
Would the Kyra top the Quantum or Iridium now though? Waldorf has been on FIRE the last few years as usual, I gotta sell a kidney to get a Quantum though.

@bees80 - Its not as bad as it seems, it takes some getting used to but its actually not that bad. Id bet that the majority of stuff people want to tweak are available on the front panel 4 knob menu, but there IS alot of stuff that you have to use the internal menus for. The front panel knobs will cover most of the 'generic' settings, the same stuff you would see on any old analog synth. Stuff like effects, routing, mixing, modulation matrix, etc is all on the screen though. The screen was a nice upgrade from the MicroQ too. Its got room for graphics so you can see your oscillator routing on that page, on the filter pages you can see the frequency range/filter graphics now instead of just a simple 'Cutoff' parameter number, the envelopes actually show you the envelopes, etc. The mod matrix is kinda clunky but its alot better than the one in the Microwave/MicroQ because you can see I think 4 of the slots on screen at once, instead of just one at a time. The architecture isn't much different than a Microwave or a Q so if you're familiar with either of those it won't be too bad to jump in. For the price, what you get cant be beat when it comes to the Blofeld really. Takes some work but man is it worth every bit of it.

The two things its missing are an audio input (every other Waldorf has one to run stuff through it), and there's a couple of filters from the Microwave series that no longer exist. One of them is the awesome as hell Sin(x)->LP filter. Im guessing this was part of the casualty of losing the dev environment and code for the Microwaves about 20 years ago. It was written on some ancient platform that died on them right after it was released. Back in 2002 Wolfram Franke himself told me there was no way they could ever fix the remaining bugs in it because the machine it was written on was dead and gone along with the source code, and there just weren't any around to replace it with.
By CharlesRandolph Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:04 am
Kyra is a different kind of monster, it's missing an audio inputs, it also needs software editor. Other than that's it has enough sounds and features for the rest of our life. No matter which way go, Waldorf Iridium, Quantum, or Kyra they're all fantastic. Maybe Behringer will have an answer for them.
By bees80 Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:29 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:
bees80 wrote:Thanks for this very complete explanation, appreciated! Maybe i should get a blofeld, because i'd really like a wavetable synth. This really got me interested: ''The Blofeld is like the MicroQ and the Microwave smoked a bunch of pcp and had a baby" :D

Have you played around with the Waldorf Kyra? That's like the blofeld, microkorg, microq, breeded with Andre the Giant and Shaq, spliced the genes and mixed it with Godzilla. :hmmm: I should get one and then I can stop window shopping. :lol:

I haven't! It looks super dope indeed, but, it's a bit too expensive for me. The Blofeld is a bit more price friendly for me :)
By bees80 Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:38 am
Monotremata wrote:Would the Kyra top the Quantum or Iridium now though? Waldorf has been on FIRE the last few years as usual, I gotta sell a kidney to get a Quantum though.

@bees80 - Its not as bad as it seems, it takes some getting used to but its actually not that bad. Id bet that the majority of stuff people want to tweak are available on the front panel 4 knob menu, but there IS alot of stuff that you have to use the internal menus for. The front panel knobs will cover most of the 'generic' settings, the same stuff you would see on any old analog synth. Stuff like effects, routing, mixing, modulation matrix, etc is all on the screen though. The screen was a nice upgrade from the MicroQ too. Its got room for graphics so you can see your oscillator routing on that page, on the filter pages you can see the frequency range/filter graphics now instead of just a simple 'Cutoff' parameter number, the envelopes actually show you the envelopes, etc. The mod matrix is kinda clunky but its alot better than the one in the Microwave/MicroQ because you can see I think 4 of the slots on screen at once, instead of just one at a time. The architecture isn't much different than a Microwave or a Q so if you're familiar with either of those it won't be too bad to jump in. For the price, what you get cant be beat when it comes to the Blofeld really. Takes some work but man is it worth every bit of it.

The two things its missing are an audio input (every other Waldorf has one to run stuff through it), and there's a couple of filters from the Microwave series that no longer exist. One of them is the awesome as hell Sin(x)->LP filter. Im guessing this was part of the casualty of losing the dev environment and code for the Microwaves about 20 years ago. It was written on some ancient platform that died on them right after it was released. Back in 2002 Wolfram Franke himself told me there was no way they could ever fix the remaining bugs in it because the machine it was written on was dead and gone along with the source code, and there just weren't any around to replace it with.

Thanks again. I wouldn't need an audio input perse, and for the price i can really understand. 2nd hand they are around 300 euro.. Maybe i should take the leap. Gonna check some more youtubes :) Thanks!!
By Fre$hBreath Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:51 pm
BARP 2600 >>>>> KARP 2600

Korg got sonned again by Behringer on the 2600. OMG! Wait until you get to the filter test.

Yasss LAWD!!!

Damn, first they murdered Korg with the Odyssey then killed them at their own MS-20.

Now I'm more than amped up for the MonoPoly!
By Fre$hBreath Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:43 pm
Danoc wrote:Lmao lol :lol: It's good to see you happy. You remind me of myself.

I think I'm exhibiting what most Behringer believers feel; vindication... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
By Danoc Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:47 pm
Fre$hBreath wrote:
Danoc wrote:Lmao lol :lol: It's good to see you happy. You remind me of myself.

I think I'm exhibiting what most Behringer believers feel; vindication... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:worthy: Exactly!
If l was into hardware l would get a few pieces from Behringer.
Question, do they have any software emulations?