Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By richie Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:04 am
If you don't like Chrome for security reasons, then install Brave browser.

Brave based on the Chromium open source, with all of Google's Telemetry code removed.
By wilzyk Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:31 am
Very interesting, thanks for the tip, I’ll check it out. Do you think it would run the eSPi app then since they’re both based on chromium? Sounds possible to me but I don’t know to much about these kind of things..

richie wrote:If you don't like Chrome for security reasons, then install Brave browser.

Brave based on the Chromium open source, with all of Google's Telemetry code removed.
By Fre$hBreath Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:14 pm
After taking some time away and then coming back to the eSPi I explored the app to see how much of the workflow is reminiscent of the original SP-1200 and despite the latency and drag and drop I found it quite familiar to me.

Keep in mind, I haven't owned a SP-1200 in 18 years so it kinda made me smile that I remembered how to navigate my way around it so quickly. This is a big deal for me because I use my MPC X on a daily basis and I struggle to remember my way around Maschine and my ASR-X-Pro at times, but the eSPi app is almost like 2nd nature to me. I felt like I was back in my apartment in Brooklyn again.

The artifacts and aliasing feel very familiar and Low Hiss definitely captured the sharp crude dryness of the SP-1200 when pitched up or down which is something the emulations in my Maschine and MPC X hasn't managed to do.

I think once he fixes the latency and adds other features this is going to be a standard production tool. The problem is he should have never released this beta so soon and put a lot more work into it because the expectations were pretty high and he missed the mark on that important factor.

This is dope and I look forward to watching this grow...
By CharlesRandolph Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:23 pm
Lampdog wrote:It’s a beta. Meaning not finished. Give espi1200 some reasonable slack here.

Agreed.

I think the issue is.... he attached producers names to it, showed beats being made on it. Using Android, iPAD, iPhone, Mac, and Windows devices. The way it was being pushed, was like it's finished and ready to go. That's false advertising and customer manipulation, to obtain pre sales, which is a big no no.

So now people over hype things and it failed to meet up, to what was being marketed at them. He should've just said, Version 1 is going to be a beta Web App and go from there. He has to be really careful, with what he promotes and market.

This is why it caught the attention of Rossum, too much noise. :nod: I want him to succeed, I just think he has to calm down on the marketing and promotions. Get all the features implemented and running stable and latency free. I'll support once, it's at a point that 100% usable as a serious productions tool.
By inflict3 Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:30 pm
:WTF: you know what this reminds me of?? Man, I was so excited for this to come out for so long. Then the little things here and there start coming up, mobile later, paid beta..
This reminds me of when the beat kangz we’re working on the beat thang and they dropped the software version. Shit was hella hyped but cats here still supported them in hopes of a dope ass hardware sampler... I say cut the guy some slack, but I also say don’t ever get your hopes up, cause the let down can be ruff :cry:
By Lampdog Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:33 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
he attached producers names to it, showed beats being made on it. The way it was being pushed, was like it's finished and ready to go. That's false advertising and customer manipulation, to obtain pre sales, which is a big no no.

So now people over hype things and it failed to meet up, to what was being marketed at them.

Like Beat Thang
By CharlesRandolph Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:15 pm
Lampdog wrote:Like Beat Thang

I was at NAMM when the Beat Kangz first introduced the hardware Beat Thang. They shared a small booth, with another company. The sound caught my eye, because they had it midi up, to an electric drum set, if I remember correctly. They were at NAMM pushing the machine, like rappers selling CD's hand to hand on the street. The whole grillz, spinners, and over the top video promo of them kicking over trash cans was not a good look.

This was before Dallas got involved, but by that time it was to late. At NAMM, I told them that I know how hard it is, to get a machine out. But they need to come with more specs and calm down street hiphop, over the top marketing. I said, just make sure you come with a solid machine with no bugs. Because people want you to fail.

They were doing light up pads, pitch knob, and mobile companion app before anyone. I remember on the message boards people were talking about the glow in the dark, predator, asr x mini clone machine and how terrible the marketing was. Well the machine was released and it was buggy. :Sigh:

You know what happened after that. Funny thing is, all these beat machine and controller have light up pads and there are many beat making apps out now. Just like the Beat Kangz were pushing at that time. :lol: In hindsight they should've called it BEATS, made a clean design, talk about how to use the machine, calm down the hype and combative message board post, and release a solid bug free machine.

Later Dallas got involved and cleaned up the marketing. But by that time it was too late. The pubic reputations of the Beat Thangz was damaged. They had the export your stems feature and internal battery, ultra portable, make beats on the go gimmick as well. (Sounds familiar) :lol: Nevertheless, Low Hiss is new and this is his first product. It needs to be solid with no unneeded bugs. Just like the Beat Kangz, I want him to WIN!
By CharlesRandolph Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:55 pm
Fre$hBreath wrote:Beat Thang was a joke that didn't know it was a joke...

Beat Thang: The hardware was good, the software needed work, marketing became better and price was too high.

Low Hiss: The idea and price is good, the software is not at this current state. All he can do now is improve it and keep improving it. I'll wait to see what happens, I won't pay to beta test something.
By Fre$hBreath Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:05 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Fre$hBreath wrote:Beat Thang was a joke that didn't know it was a joke...

Low Hiss: The idea and price is good, the software is not at this current state. All he can do now is improve it and keep improving it.

Low Hiss squandered a perfect opportunity to build a strong confidence for his hardware clone.

The victor here is clearly Isla Instruments.

I’m disappointed because I really wanted to see him do very good, I already preordered my SP-2400, and donated to Low Hiss despite my disappointment so I’ll be okay either way...
By Cockdiesel Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:37 am
I wouldnt consider it a binary thing. yea, he flopped his launch, but this isnt behringer, akai, elektron, rtc. It's some app developer from france I think. He's really no different that alot of folks here. day job, makes music when they can, and a stronger passion about the equipment than 99.9% of us, for all we know he took out personal loans, risked his employment, etc just to deliver what we see. Give him that credit at least, I've seen the consumerist group think dominate everything music equipment related thats its almost getting as bad as politics.

2017: akai flopped, elektron killed the game....
2018: elektron hype fading, akai starting to warm up updates
2019: akai is the truth delivering updates, elektron hype gone, behringer is crap clones
2020: akai is a let down, updates not quick enough, behringer is gods gift to musicians, low hiss is a shame to society, ISLA still killing it yet no release...
By CharlesRandolph Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:55 am
Cockdiesel wrote:I wouldnt consider it a binary thing. yea, he flopped his launch, but this isnt behringer, akai, elektron, rtc. It's some app developer from france I think. He's really no different that alot of folks here. day job, makes music when they can, and a stronger passion about the equipment than 99.9% of us, for all we know he took out personal loans, risked his employment, etc just to deliver what we see. Give him that credit at least, I've seen the consumerist group think dominate everything music equipment related thats its almost getting as bad as politics.

2017: akai flopped, elektron killed the game....
2018: elektron hype fading, akai starting to warm up updates
2019: akai is the truth delivering updates, elektron hype gone, behringer is **** clones
2020: akai is a let down, updates not quick enough, behringer is gods gift to musicians, low hiss is a shame to society, ISLA still killing it yet no release...

That's just how some people are, especially when entering into the commercial realm. Only way to avoid it, is to keep it a passion project. The moment someone pays or are being asked to pay for something. That's when the EXPECTATIONS change. That's when the creator, has to be on their A+++ game. At this point, Low Hiss, needs to lower his head, listen to the gripes, improve it, keep people up to date, and keep improving it. :nod: