Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By CharlesRandolph Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:34 pm
The goal is not to bring it back, because it never left. The goal is compose good music. :smoker:

Fre$hBreath wrote:That was me you mocked, but I don't think it will be the old heads that will bring the boom-bap back, it will be the young heads and they will listen to and study the old ways and figure out how to make it fresh and new...
By CharlesRandolph Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:23 pm
What musician is not excited about making music? That's why music chose us, it's not something we can just turn off. Well... it's not something, I can just turn off. My everyday starts and ends with music, I take every possible chances to talk about it, compose it, listen to it. or study it.
By Lampdog Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:41 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:The goal is not to bring it back, because it never left. The goal is compose good music. :smoker:

:nod:

richie wrote:All I know is that anything that can get people excited about making music is a win.

:nod:
By CharlesRandolph Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:59 pm
Maybe its just me, but listening to the SP1200 12 bit crunch using a completey digital chain vs having the D/A conversion and transferred to analog format is not as enjoyable. Analog tape or vinyl has natural high frequency roll off, which tames the high end.

However 12 bit crunch over good monitor, sounds like bad Youtube compression, even when it's not on YouTube. It's like a higher quality digital system, really highlights the noise floor and digital distortion.

I feel the same way, when playing a NES on 4k television. Even when the system has been modded.
By Lampdog Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:13 pm
I've only played with an SP1200 once and can't remember enough about it to judge.
I do know that I've always wanted one and I jumped in, just playing the waiting game. I'll end up with the IOS app also.

Maybe Behringer could have cloned it. BSP-1200?!?
By Fre$hBreath Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:30 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:The goal is not to bring it back, because it never left. The goal is compose good music. :smoker:

Fre$hBreath wrote:That was me you mocked, but I don't think it will be the old heads that will bring the boom-bap back, it will be the young heads and they will listen to and study the old ways and figure out how to make it fresh and new...

If that was true we'd be hearing Boom Bap everywhere we go like movie theaters, restaurants, shopping malls, the sneaker store, the gym, and clubs instead of Trap. No disrespect to anyone here but what was done in the '90s isn't considered hot, it's "old School" or "classic' or "Dad Rap" The new Boom Bap has to be considered fun, exciting, fresh and new to dominate the culture.

I think once some young heads study the '90s and look at what's hot today they will figure out how to bring it back. Maybe some open-minded old head will figure it out, but with this SP-1200 resurgence, there's a very strong possibility of this happening.

I think the ESPI-1200 will be the most used tool to make it happen...
By CharlesRandolph Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:54 pm
Fre$hBreath wrote:If that was true we'd be hearing Boom Bap everywhere we go like movie theaters, restaurants, shopping malls, the sneaker store, the gym, and clubs instead of Trap. No disrespect to anyone here but what was done in the '90s isn't considered hot, it's "old School" or "classic' or "Dad Rap" The new Boom Bap has to be considered fun, exciting, fresh and new to dominate the culture.

You hear TRAP because that's what the corporation chooses to promote: Drug, Violence, Misogyny.

Nevertheless, 90's hiphop or whatever you choose to call it, is all over the place. Everywhere from video game to uber commercials and that's just US. If you travel and tour other countries, you'll hear it even more.

Why do you think Breaking/BBOY is being considered for the OLYMPIC sport? Why is the most sort after Art, hiphop street art?

Fre$hBreath wrote:I think once some young heads study the '90s and look at what's hot today they will figure out how to bring it back. Maybe some open-minded old head will figure it out, but with this SP-1200 resurgence, there's a very strong possibility of this happening.

I think the ESPI-1200 will be the most used tool to make it happen...

But like I said, it never went anywhere, it's global. African Hiphop. Gully Rap in India. Why do you think China is trying to BAN IT? Look at what is going in Russia. Hiphop in Japan has never been bigger. You have to open your eyes to the world.
Last edited by CharlesRandolph on Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Cockdiesel Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:57 pm
Go to YouTube and type in Lofi beats and look how many are streaming new “boom nap” 24/7 for a few years now... it’s all mainly made on ableton but it’s been popular quite sometime.

As for hearing it everywhere, I don’t think that’s gonna happen as most music has to follow a pop framework. No matter the genre.
By CharlesRandolph Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:02 pm
Cockdiesel wrote:Go to YouTube and type in Lofi beats and look how many are streaming new “boom nap” 24/7 for a few years now... it’s all mainly made on ableton but it’s been popular quite sometime.

+10000 It's like people who talk about vinyl making a come back. Sorry to tell them, but it never went anywhere. The world wide market for Vinyl is only growing. Also in most countires, they have a longer history than the US. So they recognize art and culture and don't throw it away, like we do here.

Cockdiesel wrote:As for hearing it everywhere, I don’t think that’s gonna happen as most music has to follow a pop framework. No matter the genre.

Radio will play whatever makes money. If people are talking about club, money, woman, clothes, drugs. It's easier to get Club Ad's, Credit cards, Makeup Ads, etc. Also radio is in transition, due to streaming services. So they have to change, that's why they're pushing PODCAST aka Talk Radio so hard again. :lol:
By Cockdiesel Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:13 pm
Yea they weaponized music to some extent to complement the drug/ gangster culture that some people thought was a good idea to promote.

I do enjoy some, don’t get me wrong but there is a world of difference from the tribe called quest or pharcyde I was into as a kid and the keep their heads ringing East vs west gang culture they marketed on a whole different level that seemed to kill all that off.

Not sure why but trash sells. Around that time they were really pumping jerry springer/ Maury type entertainment.

I don’t think we recovered from it and it’s reflected in our polarized society.
By CharlesRandolph Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:14 pm
Lampdog wrote:I've only played with an SP1200 once and can't remember enough about it to judge. I do know that I've always wanted one and I jumped in, just playing the waiting game. I'll end up with the IOS app also.

Maybe Behringer could have cloned it. BSP-1200?!?

The thing with the older SP1200, is that you really can hear the noise floor of the machines, when connected to new gear. As you know the gear now, produces less heat and less noise, with a smaller footprint.
Last edited by CharlesRandolph on Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.