Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Fre$hBreath Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:25 pm
Neurone wrote:I've had a few Behringers, all cool, good build, nice voicing/timbre, control systems are great. They seem to be on a roll at the moment, right price too.
Remember, they ALL make noises, and what you like, is what you like. Doesn't mean one is better than another.
Peace.

And there you have it...
By TheDoctor Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:43 pm
Fre$hBreath wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:The problem with Behringer unit is not the components itself. The circuitry is almost identical, it's the calibration and quality control that make a big difference. Sure they can make similar sound or perhaps sound identical but a synth is not something static, the sound itself comes by playing with those pots. I couldn't get pleasant results with Behringer synth, it's possible just uncomfortable. Sometimes you find your Attack change a lot from 0 to 2 and almost nothing 3 to 10. Some weird choice on making VCA linear instead of exponential. Weird waveform gainstage. I mean these people don't even know that they should lower the square because it's the hottest,you can't switch waveform without crazy change in volume.
Yeah you go a synth that sounds like iconic synth but you can't play as the original unit but even worse you can't play it like another synth. Korg for example has nice calibration for their pots. Behringer just put heavy pots to give you the professional feeling.

Dude, I’ve never experienced any of the things you’ve described. All of my Behringer synths are very playable.

In fact, I was introduced to Behringer synths by working with legendary Seattle keyboardist Joe Doria who showed me during a studio session for a band I produce called the 7s that his Model D sounds just like his Minimoog.

Joe has a massive collection of classic synths and keyboards and he takes his Behringer synths out on the road with him.

Noel Brass Jr. of Afrocop which is another band I’m producing is also using Behringer synths at his live shows and Noel was mad skeptical at first because he used work at Guitar Center but he loves his Behringer synths. Probably more than I love mine.

I work with my Behringer synths every day in my home studio and never had any sort of problems with them, they just work as they should.

When I create a patch, I log it in my blank PDF file, print it out and insert it in my patch binder.

But hey, Moot Bootle who’s a very dope musician as you can see and hear is using the Behringer Odyssey and Poly D is having no issues jamming with his Behringer synths.

Luke Neptune, another dope musician shows you how dope the Model D is using a Moog as a MIDI controller...

JD73 who’s a seriously nice keyboardist is jamming out on the Behringer Odyssey.

Snolan1990 is doing a lead with the Behringer Model D

You just mentioned the Model D and Odissey. Do you ever see how much Model D drift? On gearslutz a guy post how much the tune drift in 30 minutes, I never saw a synfh drift so much.
I'm not saying they sound bad, they simply don't give you the feeling of a well calibrated synth.
Like with the Attenuator on Crave/Neutron I can do vibrato but it's a nightmare set the attenuator pot where you want it, with other synth you have much more fine control. Like I love to play with the decay of a filter envelope, Behringer synth are the only one who I can't have a natural approach I always have to limit myself in the range imposed by them, which is fine if it wasn't completely weird.
It doesn't matter who use what, people make awesome things on a 303. Speaking of the 303 I don't like the autoping filter, you might say that's its behaviour, I say I ping my filter when I want no when the synth decide. We're using synth to make sound no to accept any noise the synth make as the other guy said. Why use a synth if it doesn't what you want? At this point why not a VST with tons of presents if you accept any noise coming from your synth?
By TheDoctor Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:52 pm
Scrawny wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:I strongly recommend to avoid Behringer. I owned 2 of their synths, they're half baked. The circuitry is there but the calibration and attention to details make you frustrated, if you know what you're doing. Unreliable pulse width, unstable pitch(it's not because is analog, they drift a lot in 30 mins), weird gainstage, just a mess.

If you want a nice cheap analog bass synth go for Korg Monologue, the keys are not super small, nice sequencer(you can step sequence parameters), slide, nice and stable sounding osc, the filter is amazing, subtle overdrive, battery powered. It's a monster! It'll shake your room watch the Andertons comparison on YouTube with a Moog.
I like the sound of Neutron and Crave, after all the CEM3340 is insane but I end up having more fun with my simpler Monologue because it just works and you're not looking for weird behaviour or get frustrated because the attenuator are calibrated poorly, my DIY module works better.
Monologue can make nice sound, I'm having fun create pad style sound, auto sample in the MPC and play it polyphonically. If you got a Live you have a powerful portable set up.
I got mine second hand for £130!!!

Yeah I looked at the Monologue. That's why I asked if I even needed it to be polyphonic. Anyway. How is it at bass?

It's a monster! But expect aggressive Korg style bass. I can have smooth bass with the triangle but it won't sound like a Moog, it will always be a bit more aggressive. What the Monologue miss compare to Moog is the rumble in the low end and the VCA. I don't know how Moog does but their synth have a nice rumble on the sub, I didn't hear any synth do the same. People think it's the filter that make a Moog when it's the Envelope and VCA to give that sound. Make Noise with the 0-Coast bring Envelope and VCA for the east coast side of the synth and I can see why.
Anyway if you get a Monologue you'll love it, the switch are endless fun, sometimes it change completely the sound sometimes they become part of the sound design because you can step sequence the switch. Overall is a really fun, fast, fat and unique synth, it sounds like a Monologue and that's it
By Fre$hBreath Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:04 pm
TheDoctor wrote:You just mentioned the Model D and Odissey. Do you ever see how much Model D drift? On gearslutz a guy post how much the tune drift in 30 minutes, I never saw a synfh drift so much.
I'm not saying they sound bad, they simply don't give you the feeling of a well calibrated synth.
Like with the Attenuator on Crave/Neutron I can do vibrato but it's a nightmare set the attenuator pot where you want it, with other synth you have much more fine control. Like I love to play with the decay of a filter envelope, Behringer synth are the only one who I can't have a natural approach I always have to limit myself in the range imposed by them, which is fine if it wasn't completely weird.
It doesn't matter who use what, people make awesome things on a 303. Speaking of the 303 I don't like the autoping filter, you might say that's its behaviour, I say I ping my filter when I want no when the synth decide. We're using synth to make sound no to accept any noise the synth make as the other guy said. Why use a synth if it doesn't what you want? At this point why not a VST with tons of presents if you accept any noise coming from your synth?

Dude, when that guy mentioned noise he meant all analog synths generate noise be it white noise or pink noise, if they didn't then the synths would sound sterile and boring. Even analog-modeled virtual synths by developers like Arturia has noise generators to give their plugins realism.

As for the Model D, maybe the guy who made that post on Gearslutz did something to his Model D because mine stays in tune and I keep my synths on mostly all the time, and none of my friends, who are all professional musicians, complain about their Behringer synths.

Whenever Behringer synths are brought up in our conversations, we discuss them in excitement, Everyone wants Behringer's CAT, ARP 2600, CS-80, and Ob8 to drop. Behringer synths just work as they should.