Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By workwear1 Sat May 16, 2020 4:28 am
Whats up everyone. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Just picked up a 950 and out of the box the recording level has been absolutely peaking. No matter what volume the record knob is at, its maxed out. Even if I have nothing plugged into the input line, still peaking. When I turn the left and right channels up there is an incredibly loud buzzing going on. When they are all the way down, sounds from my turntable play through nicely.

When I try to record and play it back, I can hear the sounds I sampled but its obviously incredibly distorted and muddy. I have taken it all apart multiple times trying to diagnose a bad connection, but did not notice anything. There is always potential I overlooked something.

I have seen a post about this, but the only solution is to send it back. I feel like there has to be some solution. Could be wrong. Let me know your thoughts. I appreciate it yall.
By workwear1 Sat May 16, 2020 5:11 pm
NearTao wrote:Describe the audio chain from your turn table to s950

thanks for the reply. whether its turntable -> 950 or turntable -> mixer -> s950 it happens. even if nothing is plugged in and i try to record its still peaking
By peterpiper Sat May 16, 2020 8:44 pm
What happen when you plug into the mic input and turn down the rec gain to almost zero?

After you tested this unplug the source and tell us if there is anything you can see when turning the rec gain. Does the meter on the display wiggle or is it full on all the time?

My first guess is the recgain poti but it could also be the input preamp.

peace
By workwear1 Sun May 17, 2020 1:40 am
peterpiper wrote:What happen when you plug into the mic input and turn down the rec gain to almost zero?

After you tested this unplug the source and tell us if there is anything you can see when turning the rec gain. Does the meter on the display wiggle or is it full on all the time?

My first guess is the recgain poti but it could also be the input preamp.

peace

The display does the same thing. I have absolutely nothing plugged into either inputs right now and my record level is peaked
By Stadtrand Kollektiv Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:10 pm
I am not sure, but I think I have a similar problem.

I own a MPC Touch and the signal chain is:
Turntable -> Behringer MicroPhono PP400 -> MPC touch -> Computer

I thought there is something wrong with the Line-In because the signal was peaking very easily. It looked like this: https://ibb.co/sFLTWZt

Thanks to peterpiper I found out it was just the Rec Vol. Still the left Channel receives a higher signal (even if the needle is not touching the record) than the right one.
It still looks like this:
https://ibb.co/0DVZmRD
You can see the left signal is higher than the right one.

Can anyone tell me whats the source of the issue and how to get rid of the unbalanced signal?

Thanks a lot,

all the best from Germany
N
By peterpiper Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:19 pm
Stadtrand Kollektiv wrote:I am not sure, but I think I have a similar problem.

I own a MPC Touch and the signal chain is:
Turntable -> Behringer MicroPhono PP400 -> MPC touch -> Computer

I thought there is something wrong with the Line-In because the signal was peaking very easily. It looked like this: https://ibb.co/sFLTWZt

Thanks to peterpiper I found out it was just the Rec Vol. Still the left Channel receives a higher signal (even if the needle is not touching the record) than the right one.
It still looks like this:
https://ibb.co/0DVZmRD
You can see the left signal is higher than the right one.

Can anyone tell me whats the source of the issue and how to get rid of the unbalanced signal?

Thanks a lot,

all the best from Germany
N

Stadtrand von welcher Stadt?

Also das Problem kann viele Ursachen haben. Ich würde jede Komponente im Signalweg der Reihe nach untersuchen. (NearTao hat da ja schon eine guten Tip gegeben mit dem vertauschen der Kabel).

Um genauer zu schreiben wie ich vorgehen würde wäre es gut zu wissen ob und was du noch so an Equipment hast. Hast du noch andere Audioabel oder Adapter (welche)? Andere Audioquellen (Smartphone hast du ja warscheinlich schon aber gibts noch andere Kabelgebundene Geräte)? Welche Audiosoftware hast du (ausser der AKAI software)? Welchen Plattenspieler mit welcher Nadel?

peace

To the non-german-speaking-people: Please excuse this. There is not really information of interest in this post. Just questions. If there will be a more interesting post from me in this thread I'll write in english (and german :))
Last edited by peterpiper on Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By peterpiper Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:03 pm
NearTao wrote:
I think that the MPC just doesn't have fully balanced channels... but I usually don't notice it because I typically sample in as mono... obviously YMMV.

I wonder how well the vinly industry (creating the Lacquer & different pressing plants) is done and what the tolerances are when it comes to channel accuracy. My audio interface has rec level for each input so I need to set both channels to the exact same 'correct balanced' level. This is annoying sometimes but I use the following procedure to help:
1. In my DAW (Reaper) I create 2 tracks. 1 for the left and one for the right channel
2. Switch the polarity of one channel in the DAW mixer and pan both channels to the mid position.
3. Boost the bass on the DJ mixer.
4. increase/decrease the reclevel knob of ONE channel on the audioinerface to find a position where I can barly hear any bass.

We all know :) that bass is mixed (most of the time) in the middle of the stereofield (voice often too but....reverb, delay etc = stereo). So the channels are balanced correct when I don't hear any bass (IF the bass is mixed to be in the middle :))

After adjusting the rec level knob, I record the audio to a simple stereotrack in my DAW.

This is not hijackin the thread. Just some thoghts I had by reading here and providing a method to balance vinyl recording in a DAW. :)

peace
By Stadtrand Kollektiv Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:42 pm
Hello Peter and NearTao,
thanks for your immediate help! I will answer more detailed the next days after I tried out what your advices.
To answer Peters question I'll switch over to german, too, if you are interested in what i am writing you can use google translate, but it wont be that exciting ;) Der Name war mal eine Anspielung an eine alte WG-Wohnadresse in Oldenburg, jetzt wohne ich aber am Bremer Stadtrand, passt also auch ganz gut :)

Cheers, have a nice evening
N
By NearTao Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:07 am
L/R might have a physical problem, but maybe your inner knob is panned hard left or right? Have you tried using your Mix out instead to see if the problem is how you have your knobs positioned?

Check your Panning knob position! :D

From my image here the panning is currently set to neutral... but that notch can be turned to change the panning on your S950.
By peterpiper Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:57 am
^^ Isn't this a dual output knob instead of a volume&pan knob. I never used the L/R outputs so I don't know :) but to me it seem that that the inner knob is LEFT level and the outer knob(ring) is RIGHT level.

peace