Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Xandre Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:58 pm
Hey fellas, wassup? Here's the deal. I have an E-mu SP 1200 I need repaired. It powers on, screen looks fine and everything seems normal except I can't get a sound out of it.

I live in Boston and don't wanna ship the SP to Bruce Forat in Los Angeles. Does anyone know of a reputable repair shop in New England or NYC that can fix an SP? I was thinking maybe ARMEN'S in NYC? Anybody have any experience with them? Any tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
By NearTao Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:21 pm
Was going to suggest Armen's... though not much experience with them. You should ask how much it would cost to ship vs a drive over to have them just take a look. I doubt they'll give you much of a deal without starting the meter, but if they'd take a look without charging you, you'd at least be able to find out what type of problem it might be and how much it might cost to fix. Seems like it might be worth a drive to me at least.

Personally, I'd take the top off, and check the cables, see if anything is disconnecting and reconnecting things might help. Depends on how much capacity you have for working on these things by yourself.
By peterpiper Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:51 pm
I've read some very negative posts about Armen's in the past (very expensive, unsympathetic, and repair fails like scratches) but hey, it's the internet.....
Still, I would be cautious, talk to him and (depending on how the call end up) drive over to him.

Did you test ALL outputs? what about the metronome?
peace
By fobedafied Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:03 am
yeah. flowers Armen. (just going off hearsay and not personal opinion).

checkout RogueMusic. I've got an old ASQ10 sitting here gathering dust that has been at one time been serviced by RogueMusic according to the sticker on the back panel that was there when i bought it used many moons ago. ive since taken it to VST in pasadena to get a backlight installed. never had any other problems with the ASQ10.

https://www.roguemusic.com/repairs.html

id hit Rogue up and talk to this Clark guy if i were you/.

but first id do as NearTao said. :wink: :-D

NearTao wrote:Personally, I'd take the top off, and check the cables, see if anything is disconnecting and reconnecting things might help. Depends on how much capacity you have for working on these things by yourself.