Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By drmyers Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:03 pm
I agree, NI minced their words in there advertising online for the MK3, I STUPIDLY purchased it a few months back, thinking it was similar to the MPC X I have...and IT wasn't!!!...Do I sell my MK3 for this and get conned again... I think not, I'm used to the MPC workflow now, plus for £50 less you can get the Live 2, which has a battery and speakers.... yes this looks nicer but so was my ex girlfriend until she went schitzo on me...!! :evil:
By EnochLight Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:05 pm
NearTao wrote:It will be interesting to see what they have operating under the hood... if it's an intel system... I'd imagine a lot more people would be looking to hack in VSTs and other synths. On the other hand, if it's closed like the Akai MPC system, well... we'll see how it works out..

The CPU is an Intel Atom quad-core with 4 Gigs of RAM. The OS is customized Linux that NI is running their Maschine software on top of.
By Danoc Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:37 pm
Man, that price is 1,399!!! But the Ram is more than the MPC and they have a have
Quad processor? :shock: It's built good too, Aluminum. I gotta say it's a dam good looking machine!
By kaydigi Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:47 pm
Day one for me.

i've always used a combo of the following since Maschine 1.6 and MPC 1.4. It just depends on the PC I am using.

MPC Renaissance and Maschine MK1,
MPC Live, Maschine MK2, Maschine Jam
MPC Live, Maschine MK3, and Kontrol M32.

I just love maschine's browser and being able to fly through preset (and adjust them) quickly. Only two things I am iffy about are the lack of M2/SSD support, i'll have to buy a 512 SD Card card. And the fact you have to wait for Native Instruments themselves to convert kontakt libraries to Maschine plus, you can't just use the ones you have already.

I'm hyped, just have to decide if i'm going to keep the Akai force or sell it.
By Certified Beatz Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:57 pm
Bezo wrote:
Certified Beatz wrote:4gb of ram this is where akai dropped the ball.. also im sure u can use a USB keyboard like on live or X &one.

They just priced themselves out of the market with this

Someone mention unlimited audio, indicating there might be streaming. If so, 4GB might be plenty. Still wish they went with 8GB, assuming how many standalone instruments should be coming. RAM is very cheap nowadays.

I'm curious how their own KK boards are integrated standalone.

Yeah, the price may ultimately keep me away. Too many shortcuts to justify the price. The I/O is a bit short of the One, for example.

I'll stick with my X , I bought and sold my NI gear then bought the mikro and a25 just so I can use it occasionally..
By NearTao Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:18 am
I dropped out of the NI ecosystem after Komplete 5... and I just haven't been excited to get back in. Will keep an open eye on this space... but the Live is good enough for me. Honestly, I'd be way more interested in the NI 37 key standalone keyboard... but that's probably a ways off.
By Lampdog Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:28 am
Certified Beatz wrote:..also im sure u can use a USB keyboard like on live or X &one.

I use a small bluetooth keyboard when I need it.
By mr_debauch Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:01 am
I wont be buying this because i am not an maschine guy.... but as an akai person, i love that someone else is back in this product category. it is great for the consumer (hopefully) ... and the entire time pioneer has been making stuff it didn't make a dent. this is obviously viable enough for NI to have a go, hopefully roland breaks the 40 year trend and gets off their asses.
By antic604 Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:40 am
drmyers wrote:I agree, NI minced their words in there advertising online for the MK3, I STUPIDLY purchased it a few months back, thinking it was similar to the MPC X I have...and IT wasn't!!!...Do I sell my MK3 for this and get conned again... I think not, I'm used to the MPC workflow now, plus for £50 less you can get the Live 2, which has a battery and speakers.... yes this looks nicer but so was my ex girlfriend until she went schitzo on me...!! :evil:

You can't be serious. You bought MK3 without even looking at countless video reviews for it? Or reading countless press reviews? How could you even for a second thought it's similar to X?? :hmmm:

Also, Why would you now get Live if you already have X? It's exactly the same thing, but with different workflow. Try returning / selling the Mk3 and get Maschine+ or some other synth / sequencer.
By Danoc Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:19 pm
Tabletop wrote:Its got double the memory than the MPC line, that should leave some headroom for future updates, no?!

Maybe headroom for the future. But I have to say they did it right! But if I was head of the team I would of went 8Gb ram, and able to to add 32Gb :wink: But it wouldn't be enough for me to buy. If they would of put HDMI on it, I WOULD OF BEEN ALL OVER THAT! Being I got rid of my MPC Live, and my PC is my MPC blown out LOL I don't see me buying a drum machine. My head is not even in that game anymore, Akai blew that. But lets see what Behringer comes out with, they suppose come with one also. I am just looking at the competition. Not at all interested in buying anything.
By Bezo Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:33 pm
Danoc wrote:Maybe headroom for the future. But I have to say they did it right! But if I was head of the team I would of went 8Gb ram, and able to to add 32Gb :wink: But it wouldn't be enough for me to buy. If they would of put HDMI on it, I WOULD OF BEEN ALL OVER THAT! Being I got rid of my MPC Live, and my PC is my MPC blown out LOL I don't see me buying a drum machine. My head is not even in that game anymore, Akai blew that. But lets see what Behringer comes out with, they suppose come with one also. I am just looking at the competition. Not at all interested in buying anything.

Yeah, as cheap as RAM is, why not 8GB with a 16GB or 32Gb option? Maybe they'll step it up with the Studio version?

I use a lot of NI/NKS VIs, so something like this always has a chance with me. This one is just way under spec-ed. If they do one with at least 16GB RAM, SSD slot and another set or 2 of MIDI outs, I'm on it... assuming it streams and can run VIs in standalone efficiently.

I do most of my work on the computer in Studio One, but still try to maximize my Live. I enjoy the tactile control. While creating at least, I can do about 90% of what I need on my Komplete Kontrol S61 and Live, no mouse. But the Live's use is diminishing. A better version of the + would be welcomed and would replace my Live, quickly. A proper mix controller would complete the set up.

I didn't know you got rid of your Live. I get it though. I doubt I'd miss mine all that much aside from playing drums & percussion. I hate doing that on keyboard controllers.
By Danoc Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:45 pm
You better preach!!!! :worthy: I don't know why companies hold back. They did just enough over the MPC's ram. If they made it optional Oh boy that's sweet! Yeah I have S1v4.6 about to go to 5.

Yeah I got rid of the Live, because I wasn't using it. Akai is not where I am headed, so I got a full blown PC and everything from HDMI, to 64GB ram. My 40 inch came today :-D So I am about to hook up my stoo again. I'd rather be in one spot making music with power.

Bezo wrote:
Yeah, as cheap as RAM is, why not 8GB with a 16GB or 32Gb option? Maybe they'll step it up with the Studio version?

I use a lot of NI/NKS VIs, so something like this always has a chance with me. This one is just way under spec-ed. If they do one with at least 16GB RAM, SSD slot and another set or 2 of MIDI outs, I'm on it... assuming it streams and can run VIs in standalone efficiently.

I do most of my work on the computer in Studio One, but still try to maximize my Live. I enjoy the tactile control. While creating at least, I can do about 90% of what I need on my Komplete Kontrol S61 and Live, no mouse. But the Live's use is diminishing. A better version of the + would be welcomed and would replace my Live, quickly. A proper mix controller would complete the set up.

I didn't know you got rid of your Live. I get it though. I doubt I'd miss mine all that much aside from playing drums & percussion. I hate doing that on keyboard controllers.