Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Bezo Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:46 pm
At least this shows quality VIs can run in standalone. Likely way too soon for a Live MK3, but one with sufficient speed and memory running the AIR suite of VIs looks very possible right now.
By antic604 Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:29 pm
bees80 wrote:Nobody is forcing you guys to work with an mpc. If you are missing so much options and akai doesn't deliver, just go back to a daw. That akai has some issues, we know. No need to keep repeating that over and over.

i've done it too. for now.

I'm not writing this to ****, moan and complain. I'm rather expressing my concern that for people that care about standalone synths there's now a very viable option. I got my MPC One 6 weeks ago and I love it, but had I known + was coming I'd probably wait, even though it costs 2x the money, because I don't care about lazy chop or other such things typical for MPC workflow, but having FM8, Massive, Monark, Reaktor & Kontakt in standalone is HUGE! But right now I'm not gonna sell it to get +. I just want Akai to step up their game, because we know they have Hype, some FM synth(s), Drum Synth, etc. so it's about time to release them!

For one I'm excited about how they're gonna react! :popcorn:
By Danoc Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:58 pm
:worthy:
If this could get the Spitfire Joints... OMG! I might consider just for that!

I like this vid.
He killed it! Dope!

antic604 wrote:I've spent few hours with FM8 & Massive VSTs and damn, they're WAY above anything we have in MPC, even if they're "old" and "outdated" by modern standards.

Akai needs to step up their game!
By terry towelling Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:25 am
I don't get what's so good about this box or any sampler running VST synths...if you've got a good sampler you can sample waveforms from any and every synth ever made and they will sound great. plus, like most people on here, I've already got a few synths, don't need anymore.
By antic604 Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:12 am
terry towelling wrote:I don't get what's so good about this box or any sampler running VST synths...if you've got a good sampler you can sample waveforms from any and every synth ever made and they will sound great. plus, like most people on here, I've already got a few synths, don't need anymore.

1) WIth sampled synths you've got like 5% of control over the sound, which - for many genres - is crucial

2) The idea of standalone device is to NOT having to use "few synths" along with it, at least for me :)
By terry towelling Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:22 am
yeah...some synths certainly loose dynamics when sampled. I never seem to sample analogue synths to my satisfaction.
but some of my digital synths -- kawaii k1 and Roland d5 seem to sound better when sampled.

how does the the song structuring/sequencing look on the m+?
By antic604 Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:53 am
terry towelling wrote:yeah...some synths certainly loose dynamics when sampled. I never seem to sample analogue synths to my satisfaction.
but some of my digital synths -- kawaii k1 and Roland d5 seem to sound better when sampled.

I'm not talking about the sound itself only, but all the parameters as well. Sampling only takes into account pitch & velocity, but not e.g. aftertouch or release velocity, not to mention numerous CC like filter cutoff, etc. Sure you can slap a filter afterwards in MPC, but that's not nearly the same - for example try to sample a Roland 303 :)

terry towelling wrote:how does the the song structuring/sequencing look on the m+?

M+ is "just" a Maschine without a computer, so it's exactly the same as it's always been. Comparing to MPC, it's more similar - AFAIK - to how Ableton's session or AKAI Force work, i.e. you prepare clips and build "scenes" from them. Whereas in MPC main building block for song is Sequence, i.e. a vertical slice of the song, in Maschine it's a clip, i.e. MIDI notes + program. So, translating to MPC world, say you have a drum groove in Sequence 1, you can re-use that data (track & program) in other Sequences and chaging it in one place will carry over the changes elsewhere (obviously this can be disabled, to introduce variation). The upcoming Maschine software update is supposed to also add longer clips that span several scenes, i.e. something like audio tracks in MPC, but for MIDI.
By Unreallystic Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:17 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
I think there are still lots of choices depending on what people want.

S2400 <---- This is going yield lots of attention because it's a straight forward organic movement.
MASCHINE+
Roland MC-707
Polyend Tracker Tabletop
1010music Blackbox Studio

Are there alternatives - sure, Akai isn't the only company in the market, but lets keep it a bean here - Maschine is the only one with the name and intangibles to actually shake up the MPC line. No one I know *personally* - cares about the S2400. The MC-707 is closer to the Force than a MPC. Isn't the Pollyend just a MIDI controller like the the Pioneer Squid I think it was called *Yes*? And while the Blackbox has most of the functionality, it doesn't have the market presence to matter *or performance pads - looking more like an over zealous FX box.*.

When it comes to beat making and production in general - NI is one of the true major players - especially for that range of beat makers and producers like myself who aren't professional or teetering on it, and may not have true secret sauce plug-ins - they are the best of the "well known" - if that makes sense - and we spend good money. So if NI caused tidal waves with this, then it would force Akai's hand
- Unreall
By Unreallystic Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:30 pm
terry towelling wrote:I don't get what's so good about this box or any sampler running VST synths...if you've got a good sampler you can sample waveforms from any and every synth ever made and they will sound great. plus, like most people on here, I've already got a few synths, don't need anymore.

So I'll raise my hand on this.

Everyone who wanted a MPC, wasn't looking to sample everything, especially in stand alone. I rarely sample, it just doesn't make sense time wise to me *traditional* - having to sit down and listen to someone else's music in hopes of finding something I like, then altering it enough to not feel as though I'm just stealing someone else's work, and then there is worrying about the legal aspects. In 1/3 of the time I can get results playing things out myself and not have to worry about anything (and please that is not shade to sampling - I do do it periodically). And then sampling other instruments - honestly that is fine in the studio, but I wanted the MPC so I could work on music *anywhere* - I get more time during lunch to work on music than I do at home.

Can I fit an iPad in a bag and take it to lunch to sample - yes. I've brought things like my System-1 to work, once I even brought my System-8 into work (that was HILARIOUS, everyone has laptop bags, and I have this huge keyboard bag hehe), but its a hassle. Being able to make a song soup to nuts in a sinlge device is AWESOME. Can you use a laptop instead then - yes, but then you need to bring controllers to get some level of being able to play things out naturally - whether that be a pad controller or some kind of keyboard controller. You also introduce possible distractions and issues.

I can go to work, yank the MPC out the bag, plug in my Launchpad, and get a few tracks down with focus. Its not necessary for everyone, but I love it. for me, the Maschine could be even better with higher quality plug-ins, better size, and working with Komplete, allowing me to sound design at home and *assuming* possibly transfer to the device and screw with at work.
- Unreall
By bees80 Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:48 pm
BBB wrote:
bees80 wrote:Nobody is forcing you guys to work with an mpc. If you are missing so much options and akai doesn't deliver, just go back to a daw. That akai has some issues, we know. No need to keep repeating that over and over.

Have a look which subforum you're in. It's totally appropriate for us to discuss other grooveboxes here

It's not us vs them. It's always good to look at all the options in the market and then decide what is best for you :)

Thank you for pointing that out. It's also appropriate for me to say whatever i want in any forum, regardless. But that's just my inner-diva.
By bees80 Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:50 pm
antic604 wrote:

I'm not writing this to ****, moan and complain. I'm rather expressing my concern that for people that care about standalone synths there's now a very viable option. I got my MPC One 6 weeks ago and I love it, but had I known + was coming I'd probably wait, even though it costs 2x the money, because I don't care about lazy chop or other such things typical for MPC workflow, but having FM8, Massive, Monark, Reaktor & Kontakt in standalone is HUGE! But right now I'm not gonna sell it to get +. I just want Akai to step up their game, because we know they have Hype, some FM synth(s), Drum Synth, etc. so it's about time to release them!

For one I'm excited about how they're gonna react! :popcorn:

''it's about time to release them''.

Sure, as a customer you would always say and want that, i guess.

But if they release it too fast and it's full of bugs, everyone would be crying all over the forums for half a year.

Just seeing things in perspective...
By CharlesRandolph Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:51 pm
Unreallystic wrote:Are there alternatives - sure, Akai isn't the only company in the market, but lets keep it a bean here - Maschine is the only one with the name and intangibles to actually shake up the MPC line. No one I know *personally* - cares about the S2400. The MC-707 is closer to the Force than a MPC. Isn't the Pollyend just a MIDI controller like the the Pioneer Squid I think it was called *Yes*? And while the Blackbox has most of the functionality, it doesn't have the market presence to matter *or performance pads - looking more like an over zealous FX box.*.

When it comes to beat making and production in general - NI is one of the true major players - especially for that range of beat makers and producers like myself who aren't professional or teetering on it, and may not have true secret sauce plug-ins - they are the best of the "well known" - if that makes sense - and we spend good money. So if NI caused tidal waves with this, then it would force Akai's hand
- Unreall

In the sampler/drum machine market, if the S2400 sells 2000+ units that's good enough to shake things up. Remember they only have one machine and a smaller more focused team that can turn around updates very fast. So Organically, it will always takes time for the message to get down the grapevine.

The S2400 doesn't have the marketing, distributions, or manufacturing budget. But he's getting the machine into the hands of the right people. All the companies making drum machines are following it! 100% It's all about timing of the release and they're spot on.

Look at how much the SP 1200, MPC 3000, MPC 2000XL are going for on the used market. Nostalgia is powerful and many people in my circle pre-ordered one. It's a good time for the Sampler/Drum Machine world for sure. The Maschine+ is a fine piece that many of the NI userbase have been waiting for. Just have to see how it pans out, maybe they have more down the pipeline. :nod:

As far as the Polyend Tracker, it is a standalone sampler as well.
By Unreallystic Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:31 pm
Ah cool, I didn't know it could sample also. I remember being curious about it from the initial clips, but it seemed to be more about "how" you put music together and arrangement - than anything sonicly.

I guess my thing is competition helps us all, the more of it the better, and NI has the name and market to bring new blood to the standalone market, but public perception & price seems to have pushed most people away. I'd love ot get my hands on it for maybe an hour or so to see how it feels, but no parts of me want to buy more equipment.
- Unreall
- Unreall
By CharlesRandolph Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:36 pm
Unreallystic wrote:Ah cool, I didn't know it could sample also. I remember being curious about it from the initial clips, but it seemed to be more about "how" you put music together and arrangement - than anything sonicly.

I guess my thing is competition helps us all, the more of it the better, and NI has the name and market to bring new blood to the standalone market, but public perception & price seems to have pushed most people away. I'd love ot get my hands on it for maybe an hour or so to see how it feels, but no parts of me want to buy more equipment.
- Unreall

I agree with that. If you've used the Maschine controller, it's the same workflow and experience. The main difference is that it's a drastic step down from using a Laptop or Desktop.
By EnochLight Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:52 pm
Unreallystic wrote:I've brought things like my System-1 to work, once I even brought my System-8 into work (that was HILARIOUS, everyone has laptop bags, and I have this huge keyboard bag hehe), but its a hassle. ..
I can go to work, yank the MPC out the bag, plug in my Launchpad, and get a few tracks down with focus. Its not necessary for everyone, but I love it.

I don't mean to digress, but I just wanted to say: can we change jobs? :lol: I have a private office with essentially no one over me, however; if my Board of Directors happened to stop by and see my System 8 and Live setup, I wouldn't even know where to begin explaining.. :lol: :lol: :lol: