Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:34 am
NearTao wrote:Funny how all of this stuff is so cycle in nature. It seems like just 20 years ago we were having a mad rush to software lol!

I wouldn't count Akai out here... they've been heavy collaborators with Ableton for sure... and didn't they manufacture the Push/Push 2? I'm not sure it'd get Akai off of the Force update hook, but I'd be willing to bet that Akai would be fine working the hardware with Ableton if they were asked.

On the other hand though... I'm not sure Akai has the expertise in the x86 market, and I'd be curious to see how much Ableton has gained experience in the hardware market to be ready to pull this off on their own. A box that gives you Simpler/Sampler and clips could be a monster... then start throwing in all the other instruments, plugins, and effects... yikes. Max4Live would probably seal the deal for me.

Damn you Danoc for predicting the inevitable... now to wait and see how Akai responds.

Most of these leaks or releases are to maintain their customer base. With the release of a new controller and standalone sampler/sequence, it shows the software is being updated. Everyone is looking for the new growth market, which happens to be the guitars, pedal and amp market. :nod:

A couple of independent Guitar Luthiers I know can't keep things in stock. Sales, Repairs, and Mod sales are way up and let's not forget strings. I had to buy in bulk because the stock is so low. :lol: I also agree, don't count Akai Pro out, they had a pretty good 3 year run before, COVID 19.
By terry towelling Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:58 am
yeah...all these standalone "releases" do look like marketting hype.

from watching videos, albeton live looks to have a nice interface that allows quick, intuitive music making. it'll be interesting to see if they capture that in a standalone unit.
i still don't feel i have come anywhere near exhausting the potential of my EPS classic, let alone my asr10, Mv8000 and OP1. so don't see myself as a potential customer..but, that's also what i thought before seeing an OP1, so who knows.

what i do know is that this current golden age of hardware music machines shows no sign of stopping. long may it continue.
By DokBrown Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:15 pm

If ableton gets in the hardware game a lot of people could get crushed.
Few things have changed the game like the ableton + PUSH combo. I actually like ableton more than I like maschine when it comes to software & computers. something tells me ABLETON will stay in their lane & leave hardware to companies like AKAI & ELEKTRON & PIOneer.

http://stoneyroads.com/2018/09/why-elec ... ive-shows/

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/78je ... bert-henke

https://novationmusic.com/en/padculture

By Unreallystic Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:51 am
I use to want a standalone push ssssoooooooo bad.

Not so much anymore. My expectations for it are pretty low - I just don't think they would deliver what I want - at any price point, and I frankly don't love the Push *in general* as a standalone device. when I used it in my studio setup, I found that it never or rarely sped things up, and the features that I lusted for in the original Push were tied to my ignorance in music theory, piano skills and Ableton. Frankly I just imagine the Force with a different workflow, and I'm not imagine the best sounds packed in or access to some killer suite of VSTs.

I'll leave it to Ableton to do my polishing, and will continue to let FL & MPC do the creative lifting.
- Unreall