Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By ArtyGZ Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:49 pm
Hi all,

first time posting here, I was wondering:

I saw these SCSI2SD adapter boards on Ebay from China -> https://www.ebay.fr/itm/NEW-SCSI2SD-3-5-includes-50-pin-SCSI-to-SD-Card-Adapter-50-Pin-SCSI-Hard-Disk/273511486087?hash=item3fae8e1287:g:YhwAAOSwHlRbxh3J

I don't remember seeing these until recently, other SCSI2SD adapters are ridiculously expensive IMO.

I currently have an Akai S3000 (non-XL) with the SCSI card that has the same internal port (https://imgur.com/a/U6D7CdL).

Could these work in my sampler? Have you guys tried these adapters on your gear?

I'm curious, this might be a cool upgrade in the future.
By richie Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:16 am
Please try to use the search button in the upper right hand corner. You'd have found there are many threads where people talk about using the SCSI2SD.

There's also a bunch of information on the web, including YouTube that answer your S3000 related question.

Lastly, don't buy that version from China - It's a copy and you can order direct from the actual people that make the SCSI2SD for cheaper and get actual support and a newer hardware revision.

They're on eBay or order direct from them: https://store.inertialcomputing.com/SCS ... -white.htm

The best part about using the SCSI2SD in the S3000 is that it can emulate 4 SCSI id's at the same time, so 4x540 of space. There are also newer revisions that can emulate up to 7 devices although I do not believe you'd be able to use all 7 on the S3000 due to the S3000 occupying one scsi id for itself.
By ArtyGZ Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:24 am
Thanks for the reply!

Indeed these clones seem sketchy, just wanted to know if anyone was actually using one.

Also yes I already looked around the forums for the last few days or so. I actually was considering getting the SCSI2SD v5.5 on the website you linked. Mainly the pocket version with the DB25 connector https://store.inertialcomputing.com/pro ... nt-1st.htm

This might be the type of device I need as I plan to use it with both my S3K and possibly my MPC2000 classic. As far as I know people seem to have no issues with those.

I will mainly use it as a bulk storage device for long samples or libraries that floppies can't hold easily.

Well, sorry if the post isn't as informative as others, but I'll update if/when I get the device and it works with the s3k/mpc2k at the very least.
By richie Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:02 am
The pocket version will work with your S3000 but you'll need an adapter as I do not believe your S3000 has a DB25 connector (mine doesn't) but a centronics 50 connector.

So depending where you are, you'd have to order a db25 female to centronics 50 male adapter to fit it in the back of your S3000. You could also use a SCSI cable that'll do this as well or if you happen to have a zip drive or external scsi cdrom, you can daisy chain it to that but keep in mind that the more devices you put on the chain, can limit the amount of device id's you have available.

I personally don't know of anyone using the external box one you linked with both an S3000 and MPC 2000 at the same time but I don't see how that would be an issue provided you have another device like I mentioned above to chain it with. If your plan is to use only the SCSI2SD with multiple devices, I'd suggest purchasing the internal 3.5" version with a bracket and putting it into an external SCSI enclosure, so that you'd have 2 separate SCSI connector ports to chain to the S3000 and the MPC 2000.

Then you could use the setup util for the SCSI2SD and have it set like, ID 0-1 MPC 2000 ID 2-3 for the S3000.

By the way, if you have a lot of Akai sample library cds. You can make an .iso image file of your favorite cds and actually use that .iso as one of the virtual scsi id images.
By ArtyGZ Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:51 am
Yep! Thanks for the information :-D

Although my setup is weird: I don't plan on using the external box with both samplers simultaneously, but rather plug it in the S3000 when at home, and take it with my mpc2k when I'm away (I work far from home during the week). This is so I can access some files that would take a while to load with floppies.

I'm fine for the adapter by the way. I used to have an external CD-rom drive that I sold but kept some cables that will connect to the S3000 fine.

The last thing I haven't really had any success in finding is if the DB25 port of the MPC2000 classic has bus power or not (so I can plug the SCSI2SD without a USB power cable). I have one video of a guys using an internal SCSI2SD board with an adapter and a usb chord on an MPC2000 but that's it.

The worst that could happen is I only use the drive with the s3000, which is fine to be honest.
I currently use a modded gotek drive (with flashfloppy) on my mpc2k right now, so I'm not in a hurry to upgrade anyway.
By richie Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:21 am
Interesting video :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5h-lLVX58w

I believe the MPC 2000 is bus powered as I've seen a similar external SCSI solution (The Japanese Raizinmonster, which unfortunately now uses the open source schematics and firmware from the SCSI2SD folks without giving them any credit whatsoever) working off of bus power on the MPC 2000 -but lets just say that for any reason there is an issue doing the same with , you could always just use a regular usb cell phone charger to power it which I do not think will pose any sort of issues in your life heh.

There's also been a bunch of other SCSI2SD videos pop up on YouTube where people are using them on various Synth and Samplers without the need of bus power but like I said, not a big deal to use a cell phone charger if anything.