Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By NearTao Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:31 pm
That's pretty slick and I get how they did it... though I'd be afraid with how fragile it is. Super cool idea though, and would love to see what they come up with in the next year or two with this kind of integration.
By The Ken Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:45 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:Use it to map and controls VI and Plug in your DAW.

Yeah, it's cool they got their tech to work. But it's mighty impractical to use to control a vst. They've yet to put out a video of someone actually using it for its intended purpose. Looks to be the very definition of tedious. I wish the company well with their future endeavors though.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:01 pm
The Ken wrote:Yeah, it's cool they got their tech to work. But it's mighty impractical to use to control a vst. They've yet to put out a video of someone actually using it for its intended purpose. Looks to be the very definition of tedious. I wish the company well with their future endeavors though.

They have a video showing how parameters are mapped and it's seems pretty easy. Click a learn button, drag the vst knob to mp midi knob and keep going. It really depends on how many parameter the vst has. The mapping is the long process, but after it seems pretty easy.

Go to 1:19 and they show it, I agree they need videos, that show how to do one thing. For me it's still a wait and see.

By The Ken Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:51 pm
I'll just go ahead and say it.

It's an Ergonomic nightmare

After 5 minutes you'd trade the encoders for a touch screen.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:12 pm
The Ken wrote:I'll just go ahead and say it.

It's an Ergonomic nightmare

After 5 minutes you'd trade the encoders for a touch screen.

It's no different than using any other control surfaces. I use the Softube Console 1 for my plug in now with no issues. So I'm sure the ergonomics should be fine.
By The Ken Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:12 pm
It's no different than using any other control surfaces.

Ergonomically?

:hmmm:

I use the Softube Console 1 for my plug in now with no issues. So I'm sure the ergonomics should be fine.

Go through those marketing videos. Count how many times the top row of encoders are touched.

To even begin to compare the ergonomics of those two controllers you'd have to:

More than double the size of the Console One.
Remove everything but the encoders.
Move the encoders to the margins.
Place the unit directly in front of you.

Got any other gear on your desk? Not anymore. Whatever else you were using (like a Console One for example) needs to go somewhere else.

On second thought, you could just plop it down in the center over the monitor. It doesn't really serve a purpose since the encoder parameters/values are labeled anyway. :-D
By CharlesRandolph Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:41 pm
The Ken wrote:Go through those marketing videos. Count how many times the top row of encoders are touched.

To even begin to compare the ergonomics of those two controllers you'd have to:

More than double the size of the Console One.
Remove everything but the encoders.
Move the encoders to the margins.
Place the unit directly in front of you.

Got any other gear on your desk? Not anymore. Whatever else you were using (like a Console One for example) needs to go somewhere else.

On second thought, you could just plop it down in the center over the monitor. It doesn't really serve a purpose since the encoder parameters/values are labeled anyway. :-D

I think it depends on size of the desk and also the setup. Mixing, Mastering, Productions rooms tend to be different. The MP MIDI seems great for a person who works in box or who loves to turn those Knobs. Like I said it's a wait and see thing but he concept is interesting.