Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By JDSY Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:45 pm
hI FOLKES

Just curious if this is a place where I can find opinions of these two gears.

I've owned the AKAI... a few times... What I like is it's fairly easy functionality where I can come back to this machine years after and still know how to do stuff.

I've also owned a YAMAHA A series. This one was way harder to use- making it feel less desirable of the two. The high point is the fact that it has more advanced FX. . . And all units have this FX block.

The AKAI has basic stuff, reverb, delay, distortion, chorus ECT. Just nice little treatments you can use instead of in the DAW or MIXER.

The YAM - maybe there's secrets to the machine I didn't take enough time to learn when I had one in 2012. . . I know can sample entire batches of samples and they will map them automatically, like, if you had a file with a row of drum it would basically do the sampling for you.

The AKAI - just the way the interface is - I know it's easy to use. It uses WAV files! I like the operation. I like it's work flow and visual appeal.

So-

have you used either? why do I want one? because it's fun- that's all.

JD
By JDSY Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:00 pm
https://www.musictech.net/reviews/vinta ... aha-a3000/
The small-resolution display made trimming very difficult and setting the start, end and loop points had to be done largely by ear. I looked like some sort of crazy safe cracker as I sat squinting into the middle distance with headphones on, twiddling the dials in the vain hope of hitting on the right setting.
By dryad-66 Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:40 pm
Been looking at both these models today lol.The 4000 is certainly an upgrade to the 3000.Probly find the 4000 has better filters (for sure more variety) and smooth sweeps with the knobs and all.And the FX are really amazing.Different sound of course.But more fiddly to use.I got lost quickly in my 3000.....and the fan annoyed me!!!!!
By richie Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:13 am
JDSY wrote:The AKAI has basic stuff, reverb, delay, distortion, chorus ECT. Just nice little treatments you can use instead of in the DAW or MIXER.

You will not have reverb, delay, distortion, chorus and so on without the efx card installed.

Stock, you do have access to a lot of different parametric pass, high pass, low pass, mid, and stuff like that.

I cannot fairly offer a comparison because I've never had an AW series unit but what I can say in regards to the S5000 and S6000 is that I do like how simple the interface is to use, it never crashes, upgrading it with a scsi2sd is cheap and effective, the S6000 has adat and clock, 16 analog outs, detachable face plate.

My complaint about the unit is that it has really sharp corners so if your unit isn't racked, put some tape on the corners if you don't want cut yourself.
By wavejockey Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:04 am
i control my A5000 with a template i made for a Novation ReMOTE (MIDI cc & sysex) so that makes the awkward OS a little more accesible

for the AKAI (S3000) i need to construct one (template for remote control) but AKAI's always gelled with me easy
By ace_of_dub Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:16 pm
Frankly, just go with a Z4 or Z8, they are pretty cheap these days and are still pretty modern. Anyway all rack samplers like that, unless you just load some sample libraries, demand a fair amount of work upfront not everybody is willing to put up with, especially in this day and age. I had A 5000, great device, but I'd never go through the hassle of using one today.
By ace_of_dub Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:52 am
ace_of_dub wrote:Frankly, just go with a Z4 or Z8, they are pretty cheap these days and are still pretty modern. Anyway all rack samplers like that, unless you just load some sample libraries, demand a fair amount of work upfront not everybody is willing to put up with, especially in this day and age. I had A 5000, great device, but I'd never go through the hassle of using one today.

Exactly, had a A5000 (paid really cheap with CDROM player and ZIP reader and all the samples CD). Fantastic on the paper, great effects but I did absolutely nothing with it because it was so painful to do anything with it...