Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By NearTao Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:33 pm
Just saw Ave Mcree's video... looks decent... like the sound of it... probably going to pass though

EDIT: He's got a livestream going right now here...

By NearTao Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:04 pm
Watching the live video... damn... looks like a good sound box... but def not something I want to be sampling with. Wasted an hour watching Ave try and chop a single sample... :lol:
By Lampdog Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:00 am
Hard Pass.
By NearTao Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:31 am
Yeah... no GAS for this... seems lame to name it in the MV line... *shrug*... always liked the Roland sounds... but this is not a rompler I'd go for...
By Cockdiesel Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:54 am
I played around with the zen beats app. Haven’t dove into what it can do with the Jupiter xm. But I guess you can swap across all the new hardware line up. I haven’t even scratched the surface but I’d be interested to see if I can port over some of the patches from the FM synth on the new 303 or 101, forget which one. Haven’t even checked if they dropped new models in an update. LOL.

you know they are prolly working on the full fledged MV. Would any of y’all jump at the new fantom in a “drum machine” format.
A lot of this stuff seems unappealing to me personally, especially since they seemed to just give the 404 sampling engine with a GUI and a few enhancements. I mean that’s like 20 year old technology at its core. Same with the 707.
By mr_debauch Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:18 am
in the marketing they mention how this is for completing entire songs all in the box. this detail stood out... roland is making an effort to make that known. the reason i think is because they know they have been making one trick pony pieces for dawless jammers over the past few years. look at the aira series and return of the MC series. This is not an MV for users with our background... this is an MV for dawless jammers so they can finally complete a song after buying the tr8s, and the mc-101 as well as the digitakt and the 1010 black box..

As it stands, the newest MV isn't up to the specs of the first MV... but keeping it VERY simple and easy to use is probably a bigger priority for their new audience.

didn't watch anything on the new product yet, these are my thoughts after reading a bit on the roland website.
By Elpimpo Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:30 am
NearTao wrote:Just saw Ave Mcree's video... looks decent... like the sound of it... probably going to pass though

Soon as the video starts, he "feels up" the unit and 'never gonna dance again' plays, I spit some beer out.LMFAO
By 64hz Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:31 am
I use my mv88 for more then a decade now and it still has points to it that the new mpcs can't get near but this seems.like a toy marketed for all those super dope YouTube digging cats.
By NearTao Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:51 am
queue all the ‘why this will never leave my desk’ YouTube reviews... Ave gave it a good try to actually ise it live... for good and bad... will be interesting to see if how the marketing machine manages this... I suspect Roland won’t be sending him gear again.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:16 pm
When it comes to any of these videos that are released. They're nothing more than and first impression overview. Most things I learn about reading the manual. But music gears needs to be used for a period a time, in a real world production situation to actually learn the quirks that are bad and the quirks or flaws that actually gives the machine character.

Things I would have questions about.

How hard can I drive the input?
How is the timing of the sequencer?
How does it handle tempo and time signature changes?
Can I load my own multi sampled instruments?
Do they have news sound or are they just the same recycled ones?
Can the machine be used in standalone and controller mode at the same time?
How easy is it to find and replace parts when something does go wrong?

When it come to gear, I'm looking for what it does to my music, that no other gear can. What can I make actually make the machine do and how hard can I push it until it crashes and gives up.