Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Fanu Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:51 pm
Just got good deal on an Akai s5000.
Very good condition, but the screen is fairly dim - especially compared to all my LED displays (on an Akai s3200XL for example).

Am I correct that there are no new modern LED displays for the s5000 – while there are for many other models (s3000 range, MPC 60 etc).
Just ordered a new backlight for my s5000, as I couldn't locate a new display.

I could swear I once saw some displays for s5000 on eBay, but at least currently I can't find any new/modern ones.
By NearTao Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:38 pm
:lol: well hopefully it works well... I think a lot of those larger displays are not being manufactured for some reason, but the ones in the 2500/1k/60/3000/etc... seem to be pretty standard.
By richie Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:03 pm
The best thing you can do is what you already did, order a new CCFL backlight.

Congrats on the S5000, that series is quite good and thankfully there are cheaper alternatives than to spend $200 on a USB card, such as the SCSI2SD.
By richie Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:23 am
Fanu wrote:
richie wrote: SCSI2SD.

Yes, got one on my s3200XL, and one on the way for the s5000 :)

If you have one in the S3200XL, You can actually daisy chain it to the S5000 via SCSI.

The S5000 will see all the SCSI ID's assigned to the S3200XL just fine. But of course, if you want to do write operations on the S5000, You would have to decide on which id to format. It's pretty cool that way.
By Fanu Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:44 pm
richie wrote:The S5000 will see all the SCSI ID's assigned to the S3200XL just fine. But of course, if you want to do write operations on the S5000, You would have to decide on which id to format. It's pretty cool that way.

Whoa, that's actually kinda wild!
I think I'll still operate them independently, but thanks for the tip :)
By Danoc Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:30 am
:shock: :shock: :shock: WTF gawd dammmmn bro! Yo how in the HELL are you running those 4 pieces together? I see the X too :shock: l have never seen a setup like this. I had the 950 4 like 4 months in like 94'. Then l jumped into the 2000 then 2000XL.

Are you going for the grit of those modules? Now l see why your drums sound the way they do :wink:

:worthy: Your rack.
Fanu wrote:Image

Decent backlight but doesnt compared to the LED ones
By Fanu Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:38 am
Danoc wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: WTF gawd dammmmn bro! Yo how in the HELL are you running those 4 pieces together? I see the X too :shock: l have never seen a setup like this. I had the 950 4 like 4 months in like 94'. Then l jumped into the 2000 then 2000XL.

Are you going for the grit of those modules? Now l see why your drums sound the way they do :wink:

Oi D

I usually do the sequencing of the rack stuff with Ableton Live and run their tracks into my Soundcraft from the 80s for extra beef.
I usually use the MPC X for standalone work…love that thing for that.
By Danoc Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:16 am
Damm soundcraft from the 80's l remember those. Much respect

Fanu wrote:I usually do the sequencing of the rack stuff with Ableton Live and run their tracks into my Soundcraft from the 80s for extra beef.
I usually use the MPC X for standalone work…love that thing for that.