Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By 40Beatz Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:34 pm
I think Akai Has had several good Firmware Updates. In my opinion, Akai/Inmusic is workin with Minimal Staff, that Does not have much Legacy Experience. Younger guys with Software knowledge, but its challenging to Upgrade features on an Old Linux Platform. Akai's Software Division is somewhat in its Toddler Stages when compared to Other DAWs.

Covid probably really put Akai in another Headlock too. We Put the Knife in Akai's Getsatisfaction Support, by Complaining Heavily(poor Eliza). Akai Said "Maaannnn F these customers", they shut down and hopefully they restructured their support...Quietly.

Akai is Thriving a lil bit by Spreading out the Hardware Line into different Levels. MPC One Sales are thru the Roof. Its all About the Dollars....Unfortunately.

Now InMusic/Akai can re-invest that newly found revenue into Software Development and New Hardware Models
By Lampdog Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:37 pm
40Beatz wrote:I think.........

I agree with that assessment of the situation.
By Ill-Green Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:21 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:Aww man, Pioneer DJ has already done it. :lol: This is what ILL GREEN has.

Nah. :cry: sadly, its gone; to a good home though. Nowadays its two VolcaSamples v.1 and a microphone :lol:

When I saw this thread, thats what I thought. And for those that want to know, yes, the DJS-1000's timestretch is superior to the MPC Live/X/One. Pioneerdj been perfecting timestretch for years with CDJs.
By Elpimpo Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:10 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:
NearTao wrote:Hasn't software been crushing the MPC and other hardware in most areas for over 20 years?
I mean sure, you can make a line by line list... show Total Cost of Ownership... all that... but people are still buying MPCs for a reason... even if they are inferior by software standards.

I would say, Habit and Nostalgia.

Charles, I respect and agree with this sentiment, but will offer that what we do is turn technology into art. That 'technology' need not be current. There are a lot of professionals that are still using old Moogs, theremins, DX7's, Juno 60/106s, MPC 60/3000 and Jupiter 80's and seek to use the originals vice emulations/samples. So while it might be nostalgia and habit, there's nothing wrong with it.

In fact come to think of it, EVERY music "world" does this; Recording studios live and die by what 'vintage' their drums are in the live room, How "original" their telecasters/Les pauls are or which classical 'requinto' is available and from what part of Spain or Mexico it came. This goes for Brass and ESPECIALLY orchestral instruments.

Totally agree with you.
By CharlesRandolph Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:36 am
Elpimpo wrote:
Charles, I respect and agree with this sentiment, but will offer that what we do is turn technology into art. That 'technology' need not be current. There are a lot of professionals that are still using old Moogs, theremins, DX7's, Juno 60/106s, MPC 60/3000 and Jupiter 80's and seek to use the originals vice emulations/samples. So while it might be nostalgia and habit, there's nothing wrong with it.

In fact come to think of it, EVERY music "world" does this; Recording studios live and die by what 'vintage' their drums are in the live room, How "original" their telecasters/Les pauls are or which classical 'requinto' is available and from what part of Spain or Mexico it came. This goes for Brass and ESPECIALLY orchestral instruments.

Totally agree with you.

+100%, we all do or have done that for sure.

I find that the gear that's connected and in an arm's reach is what we actually use. The instrument and or gear that's the furthest away from us, we use less or never turn it on. :lol:

For HIPHOP the MPC holds a special place in our heart and in our musical heritage. Many people still to this day, even on here try to belittle what we do and they assume that because we sample. We can't play other instruments, aren't well versed in notations, or we accept the cheapest quality gear. Because they assume we can only "SAMPLE".

What people don't understand is that, Beat-makers are actually sophisticated considering that we have to learn to program a machine, in order to make music on it. You can't just sit down and start playing, you have to learn how to program, play, edit, record, compress, eq, and so many other skill sets.

That's why I really hope the next MPC brings that High Level Professional Quality that can keep up with our skills sets.
By CharlesRandolph Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:39 am
Ill-Green wrote:Nah. :cry: sadly, its gone; to a good home though. Nowadays its two VolcaSamples v.1 and a microphone :lol:

When I saw this thread, thats what I thought. And for those that want to know, yes, the DJS-1000's timestretch is superior to the MPC Live/X/One. Pioneerdj been perfecting timestretch for years with CDJs.

What made you decide to move to the VolcaSamples?
By Lampdog Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:52 pm
Elpimpo wrote:...CPU that allows you to run what you want.

This can't happen in standalone. Because people will overload it quickly.

Give people an inch and they take a mile, every time.
By NearTao Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:26 pm
Lampdog wrote:Give people an inch and they take a mile, every time.

Give people a mile and they complain about how far they have to walk, and only for them it is up hill, both ways.
By Ill-Green Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:40 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:

What made you decide to move to the VolcaSamples?

I like to work small and limited to create something great. Always been my workflow. I started way back in 1988 with two double-cassette decks to make beats. I am grateful for the digital age (chopping and aligning tapes by hand and razor is no easy task).

Besides, I build and play electric guitars. I feel its time to sample myself and leave sampling vinyl/CD alone. I also built an electric-cajon which I use to fingerdrum patterns to sample, its no drum machine but does bang out beats :smoker:
By CharlesRandolph Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:53 pm
Ill-Green wrote:I like to work small and limited to create something great. Always been my workflow. I started way back in 1988 with two double-cassette decks to make beats. I am grateful for the digital age (chopping and aligning tapes by hand and razor is no easy task).

Besides, I build and play electric guitars. I feel its time to sample myself and leave sampling vinyl/CD alone. I also built an electric-cajon which I use to fingerdrum patterns to sample, its no drum machine but does bang out beats :smoker:

The minimalist approach and I understand the sampling yourself part. I digitized and sold off most of my vinyl because I no longer had the need for it. How the guitar business going due to the Ash wood shortage. A couple of Luthiers friends here in LA are struggling to produce more inventory and keep them in stock.

So when is your next MPC purchase or have you kicked the habit? :-D
By terry towelling Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:03 am
maybe chasing the DAW is the wrong way to go.
the OP1 took a different approach and has been wildly popular. although, I have no idea what that would mean for an MPC. it's wouldn't just be a matter of stripping the MPC back to the basics, like making a new mpc300 with a USB port and card rider.
By Ill-Green Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:38 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Ill-Green wrote:I like to work small and limited to create something great. Always been my workflow. I started way back in 1988 with two double-cassette decks to make beats. I am grateful for the digital age (chopping and aligning tapes by hand and razor is no easy task).

The minimalist approach and I understand the sampling yourself part. I digitized and sold off most of my vinyl because I no longer had the need for it. How the guitar business going due to the Ash wood shortage. A couple of Luthiers friends here in LA are struggling to produce more inventory and keep them in stock.

So when is your next MPC purchase or have you kicked the habit? :-D

:) I definitely kicked the MPC habit mr. Charles. . . Thats until they come out with the MPC-.5 which is a miniature MPC 3000 6"×4" box (160mmx200mm).

I get my wood from abandoned buildings and hidden trails, mostly poplar and birch. Poplar is very good, hard like maple and feather weight. After the hurricane, its a little free for all for wood.

I hear LA been a nightmare especially since the fires. :x
By CharlesRandolph Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:57 am
Ill-Green wrote: :) I definitely kicked the MPC habit mr. Charles. . . Thats until they come out with the MPC-.5 which is a miniature MPC 3000 6"×4" box (160mmx200mm).

I get my wood from abandoned buildings and hidden trails, mostly poplar and birch. Poplar is very good, hard like maple and feather weight. After the hurricane, its a little free for all for wood.

I hear LA been a nightmare especially since the fires. :x

With the way the Akai Pro has been release machine, you may be right about that. They may drop a sub $400 machine. Yes, the fires over the last couple of years have not helped. You heard about Wayne Charvel home and workshop burned down I think in 2018 or 2019. Plus lumber prices are up 50% and the import of lumber is down due to the Covid.