Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:15 pm
dabmeister wrote:I will agree with the first part of your quote, but I have to disagree with second part pertaining to the ASR10. The buggy OS has a lot to do with the scenario of crashing. I will admit that the board does generate heat from the slightly heavy transformer it houses, but it can do some strange things way before a heat scenario takes place.

Had OS crashes and Heat generate crashes as well. Nevertheless it does work well for those who use it and choose to deal with the quirks. I really don't want to deal with the slow start up, saving and loading times. LAWD.... I don't know how you guys deal with it. :lol:
By dabmeister Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:23 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
dabmeister wrote:I will agree with the first part of your quote, but I have to disagree with second part pertaining to the ASR10. The buggy OS has a lot to do with the scenario of crashing. I will admit that the board does generate heat from the slightly heavy transformer it houses, but it can do some strange things way before a heat scenario takes place.

Had OS crashes and Heat generate crashes as well. Nevertheless it does work well for those who use it and choose to deal with the quirks. I really don't want to deal with the slow start up, saving and loading times. LAWD.... I don't know how you guys deal with it. :lol:

The one I have is the second of two I've owned. I will admit, it is slow loading and that's the reason I want to upgrade to the flash loader. Going this route should spare me moreso from the fragile floppies that are susceptible to magnetic interference, or bending, or whatever the case. But don't know if they made any changes between the units with LED or LCD, but I've had the LCD version since the late 90's. And yes, it is a pain dealing with the freezing/lock ups, that's why I'm looking for a better solution. :lol:
By Cockdiesel Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:34 pm
I don’t know I have the newer one with purple screen and scsi.... it’s been a bit but no issues with crashing, heat, and loading takes about as long as the MPC live off scsi.
By dabmeister Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:28 pm
Cockdiesel wrote:I don’t know I have the newer one with purple screen and scsi.... it’s been a bit but no issues with crashing, heat, and loading takes about as long as the MPC live off scsi.

Consider yourself blessed. When I think about it, I lack the scsi interface and attribute the functions as being all memory dependent. Only thing I can come up with is the quality of the ram installed. It's maxed at 16 megs but I can't remember if it was mixed, or all four simms are the same. I know I'll be rolling the dice trying to find quality ram that old these days. And if I do they'll probably want an arm and a leg for it. :lol:
By dabmeister Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:55 am
Cockdiesel wrote:Not too bad.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/16MB-MAX-RAM-M ... SwjVVVhKZD

Since it's a pain pulling mine out I wonder if your unit fits the serial number requirements. I have the purple lcd screen too and it looks as if this is for these late production units. If so, I'm going to snag a set before they run out. Thanks!
By Cockdiesel Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:34 pm
I don’t have mine right now, so I can’t confirm. I’d just shoot him a message just to be sure.