Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By backhandslapr Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:00 pm
So I just received my Akai S950 which was advertised as having 1536 kwords and everything working, plus a usb emulator. Visually everythings fine. There is one issue though, involving the power cable. The machine I have is a japanese 100v, so I bought a step up/down japanese converter. Everything should be fine in that regard. The cable that came with it says 120v on the female part (that goes in the S950) and 125v on the part that goes in the wall (100v socket of my converter). The S950 turns on but it says 512kwords and not 1536 kwords. (I saw 1536 in the sellers pictures). Also, the whole left row of buttons under Arrow/Cursor dont work (ENT, UP, LEFT, SPACE). I know having the wrong power cable can cause machines to be faulty. Could this be the case?
I'd like your opinions so I can know if the seller is trying to scam me or if he just sent the wrong cable. Thanks :worthy:
By NearTao Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:47 pm
It is possible that the tact switches no longer work, you could try taking the front panel off and spraying some Deoxit into the switch... let it sit for 30 seconds, and then push it repeatedly. Let it air out for a few minutes and then plug it back it to try the switch.
By backhandslapr Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:58 pm
I guess I'll have to try that thanks! I just think it would be weird that a whole aligned row of buttons dont work and all the other buttons work perfectly..
By richie Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:24 am
You're in Canada. You don't need a step down converter for a Japanese unit.

If you're only seeing 512k instead of 1536k then that is likely due to 1) the seller showed a different unit than what was sent 2) they removed the extra ram cards.

You can open the bottom plate and see how many ram cards are installed. But again, this has nothing to do with the voltage. You can run any Japanese piece of equipment without a stepdown converter. The only time this will matter is if you're importing a 220/240v unit to North America, by which yeah then you'd need a stepdown converter.
By terry towelling Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:42 pm
power has two dimensions -- voltage and amps. if the amps are less than required by the unit, then it may act strangely.

what are the voltage and amp requirements printed on the back of the unit? what are the voltage and amp output of your power supply or step-down?
By backhandslapr Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:46 am
I brought it to a music store and they were able to get it fixed. No way of knowing what the issue was as they send it to a technician, who isnt on site. I got a converter because Id read online that it could cause issues in the long-term if the voltage coming in was 120v and the machine only needed 100v (I dont know much about electricity but I didnt want to take any chances). Also for the Extra ram card, I found it on the otherside of the mainboard, above the power supply (no clue how it could have got there). I doubt the shipping process could have made it move around that much!