Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By DokBrown Fri May 21, 2021 11:28 pm
ARTURIA & korg brought the “affordable analog” wave.
They lost with me with overpriced matrixbrute but ARTURIA restored my confidence in their synths with this TOY ????

I don’t actually own 1 b/c I don’t believe in collecting instruments but IF I WAS RICH this would be definitely be a part of my collection. I WILL let the article speak on the rest.

https://www.attackmagazine.com/features ... nstrument/

the only thing I don’t dig is MIDI mini-ports; call me old school ;-)
By Koekepan Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:12 pm
Little synths like this one are, to me, mostly useful when externally controlled, sequenced or sampled. Their keyboard isn't a bad idea, but might have been better released separately, in a larger format.

As for pioneering, I think that Arturia blazed more of a trail with the mini- and microbrutes.
By Straker Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:23 pm
It's a great idea from Arturia but they made it too limited.
It would make sense if it was stereo and had some fx from arturia legacy.
I don't understand why they didn't do that.
Anyway, I bought it, autosampled it on Mpc, resold it.
Maybe Arturia will come out with a Macrofreak?
Let's see.
By Ultros Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:12 pm
I've been hovering over the microfreak but just havent pulled the trigger on it. I'm not happy with its pricing for what it is. The keybed, mono output and TS jacks for midi are the biggest turn offs for me. It has the makings of a neat synth, but in the wrong form.
By iofflight Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:44 pm
I think I picked mine up second hand for $275. I was really hesitant to get it because what I really don't need is another small toyish synth crowding up my space. I've sold off a bunch of desktop stuff and only kept a few things around like the Micromonsta and Shruthi. If you do any kind of techno or like 90s dirt on your synths I do recommend this. I was fairly impressed with the sound (not the package). If it gets a makeover with a better chassis and more features I'm on it. They really aren't the same but it's replaced my emu orbit v2 on a lot of tracks. The only other synth out there that is modern that I would consider over it for the specific way I use it is the opsix.
By collargrip_cristian Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:28 am
iofflight wrote:I think I picked mine up second hand for $275. I was really hesitant to get it because what I really don't need is another small toyish synth crowding up my space. I've sold off a bunch of desktop stuff and only kept a few things around like the Micromonsta and Shruthi. If you do any kind of techno or like 90s dirt on your synths I do recommend this. I was fairly impressed with the sound (not the package). If it gets a makeover with a better chassis and more features I'm on it. They really aren't the same but it's replaced my emu orbit v2 on a lot of tracks. The only other synth out there that is modern that I would consider over it for the specific way I use it is the opsix.

Thoughts on the opsix?
By DokBrown Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:31 pm
I find with synths, especially analog. You can watch 100 utube reviews with HD headphones & still have no idea how much it will work for you until you actually try it. A lot of the synth experience is turning the knobs & moving thru menus, to make that sound in your head a reality. When u find a machine that does this for you in minutes, it is priceless.

Thus I’ve tried 6-8 synths but only kept 2-3 around. Sweetwater has a sweet return deal. Buy OPSIX & if you don’t like it, send it back.
By Ultros Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:30 am
I just ordered one for myself. I'm not overly impressed with the mono output or the tiny 1/4 jacks for midi in but judging by the demos its a synth i think i will enioy.

When it comes to buying a hardware synth, it really has to be special. Analog synthesis is great, but its pretty limited because they dont put any effort into making unique oscillators.

For example i was looking at a deep mind, and though it has oscillators galore the shapes are primitive and really only give you more layers of the same oscillator shapes.

I currently only own one synth -the microkorg. I swear by the microkorg, In my opinion it is the best option imho for korg synthesis under $500 usd.

The microkorg can give you fat basslines, beautiful poly leads, has a shitload of oscillator wav forms, exellent poly or mono synth. it's not a paraphonic pos synth either which is pretty effing cool, each timber has its own effects chain.

If you dont own one of them GET ONE. it doesn't matter that its 21 years old at all, it still does what a monolog and minilogue can do (for the most part).

Anyways long winded rant asside, i finally found a synth that actually interests me with its offereings and the microfreak was it. Set me back $508 cad though.. bastids...
By Ultros Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:36 am
**lazy double post**

There's nothing wrong with digital sythesis, and i think that in the future we will see alot more of it. I just wish we could see it in a harware package attached to analog fx chains. What we all really want is multiple wave-table polyphony!! with user customizable oscillators, or give us a scope and a way to save the wave table oscillator patches we manually tune..

(so off topic lol)
By DokBrown Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:57 pm
Ultros wrote:I just ordered one for myself. I'm not overly impressed with the mono output or the tiny 1/4 jacks for midi in but judging by the demos its a synth i think i will enioy.

When it comes to buying a hardware synth, it really has to be special. Analog synthesis is great, but its pretty limited because they dont put any effort into making unique oscillators.

For example i was looking at a deep mind, and though it has oscillators galore the shapes are primitive and really only give you more layers of the same oscillator shapes.

I currently only own one synth -the microkorg. I swear by the microkorg, In my opinion it is the best option imho for korg synthesis under $500 usd.

The microkorg can give you fat basslines, beautiful poly leads, has a **** of oscillator wav forms, exellent poly or mono synth. it's not a paraphonic pos synth either which is pretty effing cool, each timber has its own effects chain.

If you dont own one of them GET ONE. it doesn't matter that its 21 years old at all, it still does what a monolog and minilogue can do (for the most part).

Anyways long winded rant asside, i finally found a synth that actually interests me with its offereings and the microfreak was it. Set me back $508 cad though.. bastids...

The micrOkorg is a legend.
The NEPTUNES cemented that.

I personally favor the NOVATION ultranova over it tho’
By DokBrown Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:25 pm
Give us an update in 6-12 months on whether this unit found a place in your permanent arsenal OR IF you sold it.

With “OBERHEIM SEM” filter at the end of the audio chain, this bad boy is crying for some AIRFX and a full-sized MIDI keyboard ;-)

IF YOU KEEP IT, Post some demo tracks in music & beats.
I find many manufacturers never make good demo tracks, so people’s idea of a machine sound & capabilities are off. i was sleeping on the korg electribe line until MISTABISHI blessed us on youtube. The MPC LINE has always been defined by its deep userbase & not some corny OEM demo.
By Ultros Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:48 pm
The preloaded presets arent bad. Theres alot of junk sequences but there are also alot of detuned bell sounds i really like. Day one, so far so good.

Ba-BAM! looks good in my mess!