Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Ultros Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:19 am
terry towelling wrote:nice track!

microfreak v4 update. you can add your own wavetables.
it's great to see continued support and updates for the synth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwF_3t9ExLM

thanks man. wicked link thanks for the heads up on that. I still need to order me the vocoder mic! cant take advangate of any of the fun yet.
By Ultros Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:24 pm
I'm having a shit of a time finding out how to tune individual voices. The booklet isnt nearly as complete as the microkorg's booklet..

Do you know if you can select different oscillators for each voice? and if so where is the switch hidden?! All the stock patches sound very single-oscillator-ish other than a few that abuse high pass filter cut off.

*googles in the meanwhile*
By DokBrown Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:37 pm
When you figure it all out, you can write the microfreak bible & sell it for $$$$ ;-) & recoup hours spent turning knobs to see what exactly they do . . . . . .
By Ultros Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:26 am
Haha never. I'm way too lazy, the only thing to know is these few things.

It's got both analog and digital oscillators. 16 choices of osillator to choose from, however it can only use a single oscillator choice at a time. It's paraphonic or monophonic (all signal is routed through one sequence of wave shaping fx). The vocoder mic uses ttrs and sells seperately (the blue model) for $40-$50 and the vocoder has very limited choice osc shapes and some primitive options.

The actual design of the synth is nothing to go crazy about, they basically gave us a very primitive from of synthesis in terms of 2021, but with some of the more unique oscillators and some wiggling of the knobs it's clearly not just some old piece of paraphonic crap, its very worthy as a bass or lead synth. Shortening up the decay, and using air fx like reverb, delay and stereo width go a long way in taking it from a flat sounding mono output to something thats 3d.

I'm kent brockman and that's my two cents.
By Thoracius Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:37 pm
Ultros wrote:I'm having a shit of a time finding out how to tune individual voices. The booklet isnt nearly as complete as the microkorg's booklet..

Do you know if you can select different oscillators for each voice? and if so where is the switch hidden?! All the stock patches sound very single-oscillator-ish other than a few that abuse high pass filter cut off.

You can only use one "oscillator" model at a time and you cannot assign different "oscillators" to different voices. That said, depending on which osc model you are using you can basically have multiple oscillators, albeit with non-standard controls and some limitations.

For example, on the BasicWaves you basically have three oscillators. The first two are set to the same pitch and waveform (morphs between saw and sqr), but the only thing you can control/modulate is the relative phase between them (from 0 to 180deg). The third osc is a sub sine, one octave below.

On the V.Analog you have more control. You can fully detune one of two oscillators, and have some independent control over their waveforms as well.

I recorded a video that helps explain it, since it's really not intuitive:
By Ultros Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:47 pm
Thoracius wrote:
Ultros wrote:I'm having a shit of a time finding out how to tune individual voices. The booklet isnt nearly as complete as the microkorg's booklet..

You can only use one "oscillator" model at a time and you cannot assign different "oscillators" to different voices. That said, depending on which osc model you are using you can basically have multiple oscillators, albeit with non-standard controls and some limitations.

For example, on the BasicWaves you basically have three oscillators. The first two are set to the same pitch and waveform (morphs between saw and sqr), but the only thing you can control/modulate is the relative phase between them (from 0 to 180deg). The third osc is a sub sine, one octave below.

On the V.Analog you have more control. You can fully detune one of two oscillators, and have some independent control over their waveforms as well.

I recorded a video that helps explain it, since it's really not intuitive:

heh since this post was made i've taken time to mess with mine alot more. its probably one of the more inovative synths i've purchased. i'm pretty at home with it now after a couple months. my only real complaint is the vocoder doesnt shine as bright as i'd like but hey, cant win em all it has so much packed into a little unit i really cant complain.