Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By aarb Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:53 am
So, a year ago I set out to pimp my s950 based off of this post: https://gearspace.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1262092-pimp-my-akai-s-950-thread-new-display-floppy-upgrade-etc.html.

And not having the electronic know how at the time I decided to follow through the guide only to wire my display connector on the reverse side (it was out of excitement), which up until today, I finally discovered the cure for. It turned out to be a burnt out 4A fuse.

That aside, when I power on the s950 I get all the lights and screen to work properly but I only get blocks appearing where the text should be. Here's what it shows: :hmmm:

In case the picture above doesn't work, here's a link: https://ibb.co/jWGF2fY

Is there anyone out there who experienced a similar event on their screen before, and if so, how did you go about fixing it? Already went through the process of making sure everything else is seated and properly connected, but my main concern is that maybe one of the onboard e/eeproms may have been damaged in the endeavor of pimpage. Also hounded forums and seems like a lot of old posts are not as accessible as they used to be for some reason which sucks (maybe it was the google purges).

Thanks for any help this baby has been collecting dust for far too long and would love to get back into using it with the 60.
By aarb Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:18 pm
Okay I may have answered my own question here, and I think that the display itself may be damaged somehow because my original display still works fine. Still scratching my head at what is causing the display messages not to be read by the screen. Hmm... :hmmm:
By Christov Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:08 pm
Not sure if this works, but if I remember correct, when your contrast knob is set on maximum contrast it makes all the characterplaces black. Have you tried playing around with the contrast knob?