Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Ill-Green Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:37 pm
Well someone has to start this thread. I don't have any info except that it was leaked a month ago and now the news making its way viral.

By NearTao Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:01 pm
Saw a few posts that seem to hav been taken down... had seen two other pics (one with the back)... it looks like it's got 1/8" TRS midi input and output jacks.

Read it has 16gb of internal storage, but still works with SD. Looks like it's got an OLED screen so you don't need the MFX patch list on the side, instead you'll likely hold MFX and see program names change on the screen. I believe it is velocity sensitive, or at least there is speculation as such...

Not remembering much else off hand, though the store listing I saw did have some more details. You can get a good idea of the types of new features just looking at what the face plate seems to have.

Think MSRP was $499, so... maybe a bit less street?
By NearTao Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:02 pm
Check this... https://www.elektronauts.com/t/roland-sp-404-mk2/161021

Looks like no more Phono/RCA jacks... proper 1/4" as well... oh and it's 6xAA battery powered...

Off topic:
Full Details from Sam Ash in case this is a leak that gets swiftly pulled by the Roland suits
Bigger, better, faster, stronger.

The SP-404MKII has everything people love about its predecessor—with some serious upgrades like 17 ultra-expressive pads and updated knobs for smooth, hands-on control. And beatmaking is even quicker with speedy boot time, swift project loading and sample import, and easy project access via 16 GB of internal storage. Longtime users and new beatmakers alike will feel right at home with the intuitive layout and classic SP effects, plus a revamped sampling and sequencing workflow, Skip Back Sampling for quick performance capture, DJ mode to mix beats live, and more.

Guerilla beatmaking.

People who make music with SP samplers love the rapid workflow, portability, and tactile approach they offer. The SP-404MKII takes this experience even further, retaining the lightweight-yet-rugged design while adding features that make it even easier to create in any scenario. Bang out beats anywhere with AA or mobile battery power, capture audio from or stream direct to your mobile device via USB, or collaborate with a partner using the dual headphones outputs and mic/guitar input.

A sampler with soul.

With the SP404MKII’s vivid OLED screen and zoomable waveform view, sample editing is smooth like butter. Chop up samples by tapping out edit points in real time, or use auto chop to slice samples automatically. Then finesse them with envelope and pitch shift, and use the new resampling workflow to re-record patterns and effects layers for detailed sound design. And with Skip Back Sampling, you can instantly grab those golden moments by capturing up to 25 seconds of audio from your last performance.

All about effects.

Process, flip, and twist your sounds with legendary SP effects and a selection of new classics. SP staples like Vinyl Simulator and DJFX Looper are now joined with powerful additions that include Lo-fi, Cassette Simulator, and Resonator. Layer and route multiple simultaneous bus effects for intricate sound textures, or plug into the mic/guitar input and jam with ready-to-go Vocoder, Auto Pitch, and Guitar Amp Simulator effects.

Performance-tuned sequencing.

The SP-404MKII gives you the flexibility to create patterns with unique feel and energy. There’s adjustable input quantize and shuffle for custom swing, Pad Link for firing off multiple samples with a single tap, a Roll button for variable note repeat, and BPM-per-bank for instant tempo changes. It’s also possible to organize patterns for different sets and chain them together to automate playback. With your hands freed up, you can stretch out on the SP effects controls or let rip on your favorite synth.

Sound stash.

Dive into beatmaking with the pre-loaded sounds in the SP-404MKII’s blazing-fast 16 GB of internal memory. There’s a huge collection of curated samples to choose from and plenty of room to augment them with your private sound stash. And you can now load even more sounds at once, with 160 samples across each project for expanded performance and beatmaking combinations.

Break beats. Not banks.

You shouldn’t need to take out a bank loan to make beats or produce tracks. The SP-404MKII is more powerful and more affordable than ever, making it easy to add its rapid workflow and characteristic sound to your existing setup. And with all it can do, the SP-404MKII may be the only piece you need for production and performance.

Customize it.

You work hard to be a unique artist—so why play on cookie-cutter gear that looks like everyone else’s? Personalize your SP-404MKII with your own style or branding for a look that’s as distinctive as your sound. Grab the faceplate template to create custom overlays, style your startup screen with personalized logos, or select a screensaver that matches your vibe.

By Ill-Green Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:18 pm
Yeah that Elektronauts thread is being pulled even though its been up a few hours. This thread may get taken down but a lot of retailers are getting the first scoop by now.

Truthfully, by the specs and the new features, THIS could be the SP I always wanted!!

One thing to note is its black and grey form. In that form, this box is really an experiment and if it takes off in a positive direction, we'll see more things added and possibly a bigger flagship SP. Trust me, MS-1 was a grey box, the Monotribe was a black but charcoal matte box and we all know how they evolutionized into SPs and Volcas :popcorn:

Good one NearTao!!! :smoker: :smoker:
By NearTao Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:42 pm
Yeah, this new 404 definitely has me interested to see more details about it. Not going to replace my MPC, but could be a really good compliment.
By NearTao Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:43 pm
Ill-Green wrote:Wow, just noticed you can sample through its USB and from mobile phones? Thats dope.

Yeah, it looks like it will operate as a class compliant USB device, so could probably use it on the MPC, phone, computer, etc...
By Ill-Green Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:03 am
I feel kinda :shock: at the price considering the price of the 404A right now.

Perhaps the 404A will have PS3 legendary status in the future. Might have some kind of tech never to be sold publicly again :P

I am happy they have finally implemented pitch/speed. Notice timestretch and lofi buttons are totally removed. You can do both with that new feature and with control of the knobs.

Its looking great to tell you the truth. And if you are a new buyer of the 404A, I really wouldn't be mad especially at $499, I would grab one before they go up to $549 :nod:
By aes-one Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:22 am
this is everything i ever wanted in a 404! def wont replace the mpc, but i love these for its quick workflow and immediacy.
By fooddude Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:20 pm
Interesting (even though I've never used a 404 before).

Cool that is has a midi-out this time! (first time ever?)
I wonder if it'll also have a proper midi-sequencer in it, to control external synths/drum-machines and control them with a hooked-up midi-keyboard-controller. (like an MPC)
By DokBrown Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:03 pm
I always favored the roland MV over the SP series.
Screw what I think, the MV series is all but dead & the SP is a classic.

LEIMERT PARK / SOUTH LA LEGEND – DIBIASE
I luv the fact that his music slaps straight “out the box.”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cKtLsdSJPM