Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Z8_Crew Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:33 am
Hello,
I have a Z8 with a still-working IDE hard drive inside. I don't trust it too much and have been using a USB stick just fine via the front USB port.

This may be a dumb question but -
Will the sampler's OS still work if I simply unplug that noisy old IDE hard drive?

Thanks if you know the answer!
J
By NearTao Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:45 pm
No, this is just an enthusiast forum. Not affiliated with or supported by Akai in any way.

I'm pretty sure you don't need an internal IDE hard drive for the Z4/Z8, but mine is buried under some other hardware so I'm unlikely to pop it open to test it today.
By Z8_Crew Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:06 am
NearTao wrote:No, this is just an enthusiast forum. Not affiliated with or supported by Akai in any way.

I'm pretty sure you don't need an internal IDE hard drive for the Z4/Z8, but mine is buried under some other hardware so I'm unlikely to pop it open to test it today.

Thanks for the reply!

Just came back to say curiosity got to me, and I took it out of the rack and unplugged the power to the IDE drive tonight. Z8 loaded up fine with zero noise and reads off the USB stick.

It is really nuts how nice it is to not hear that drive.
By PeteCT Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:59 pm
wavejockey wrote:don't forget you can also park/shut down the drive from within the OS / menu DISK

Hi - how can you do this exactly? I'm not finding it in the manual or by poking around...