Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By LoopFlyRawker Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:50 am
Dave Rossum is releasing a new SP-1200 reissue.

This isn't the 35th Anniversary refurbished joint, it's a new SP-1200 reissue.

Dan The Automator has a beta version. https://www.instagram.com/p/CVoPPxMlARu/

Rashad Smith of Tumbling Dice has one too. https://www.instagram.com/p/CVoK3DsgeuA/

But why does it have the same color scheme as the Isla Instruments S2400 though?

The official Announcement and preorders will go live Wednesday at 10 AM PST.
By HanHuman Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:21 am
Can't wait to see the reviews on this. Probably will be pretty pricy though with small productions. 2K/3K+ maybe.
By v00d00ppl Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:06 am
I like it call it « MachineDrum Orange ». But hey it will stop the scalper prices for SPs now.
By LoopFlyRawker Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:32 pm
I'm going to take a hard pass on the Rossum SP-1200. They are using the exact same chips that the Isla Instruments S2400 and there are no new standout features like advanced filtering, MIDI sequencing, envelop editing, time stretching, and expansion boards like with the S2400. Nothing justifies purchasing a SP-1200 other than clout chasing.
By justineastwick Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:22 pm
LoopFlyRawker wrote:I'm going to take a hard pass on the Rossum SP-1200. They are using the exact same chips that the Isla Instruments S2400 and there are no new standout features like advanced filtering, MIDI sequencing, envelop editing, time stretching, and expansion boards like with the S2400. Nothing justifies purchasing a SP-1200 other than clout chasing.

When I heard about the chips they were using, I died laughing - it’s that’s true, that’s hilarious.
By LoopFlyRawker Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:13 am
justineastwick wrote:
LoopFlyRawker wrote:I'm going to take a hard pass on the Rossum SP-1200. They are using the exact same chips that the Isla Instruments S2400 and there are no new standout features like advanced filtering, MIDI sequencing, envelop editing, time stretching, and expansion boards like with the S2400. Nothing justifies purchasing a SP-1200 other than clout chasing.

When I heard about the chips they were using, I died laughing - it’s that’s true, that’s hilarious.

The original Emu SP-1200 was made using the SSM2044 Unobtainium chip, the new Rossum SP-1200 is using the Sound Semiconductors SSI2144 chip which is the exact same chip that the Isla Instruments S2400 is using. TO me the S2400 is the much better deal. It's about to be 2022 why would I want to use a SP-1200 that still has the sample features it did in 1992? I can buy 3 S2400's for the price of one Rossum SP-1200...
By Ill-Green Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:23 pm
For an old sampler, Rossum should've marketed these at $899.00. Cutting off ebay scalpers and Isla Instruments. But for $4000.00 for something thats novelty as the mini Commodore 64, I don't see these lasting long in any studio except as a dust collector on a table for bragging rights.

20 seconds sample time? Should've been 20 hours sample time.
By sinik Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:20 am
the isla s2400 is perfectly priced imo, you'll get like 90% of the sound from the original and a lot of modern features. this reissue is for the purists. if it wouldn't be so bloody expensive, i would have got me one. countless classics are made on this sampler. 20 sec is not a limit if u know to workaround. that talk about the filters is cheap, there is a lot more going on in this sampler that shapes it's sound... lot's of people don't even use those filters on the 1/2.
By peterpiper Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:17 pm
I really like that Dave didn't change much. 20 sec is great. You still have to think about what to sample and what not which is IMO important. SD Card is good too. Floppy Discs are nice but hey, it's 2021.
I don't understand what kind of benefit the extra outs give (fitered and unfiltered outputs). A stereo to 2 mono jack cable does the same without rising the price of the machine. Another thing that havn't really influenced the tracks made with the SP and could've been changed is the dynamic buttons sensor. People mostly used the multilevel option to program different levels of a sample. Buttons (or pads) with velocity (of course with the ability to disable) would've been nice.

Although I like the 2400 I think you can't compare because it's too far away from the SP1200. Not just because it has so many more features but also because the workflow is not the same. From a machine that want to act like the SP1200 I expect to give the same user experience than the original. That includes not to be able to trim a sample with a 1-sample-accuracy (SP1200 trims in 'sample-chunks' with.......?-sample-accuracy) and I guess the new 1200 act exactly like that.
The filter......who really cares about the filter? I wouldn't mind using one of the SP with the curtis filter chip and 99% of the people won't hear a difference. We're not talking about a synth were filters are essential and get modulated but simple fixed filters (ok. yes, I know out 1+2). BTW good to see Dave implemented adjustment of the filter cutoff and resonance. Thats an interesting bonus. But still. I doubt people would hear a difference between the old 2044 and the new one or most of other filter chips.
By MikeD916 Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:51 am
Speaking of the new chips their using.. is it possible to swap the new chips from an isla s2400 or the new reissue sp1200 with the original SSM2044 chips? I see the old chips are available online but didn’t know how hard or easy it might be, or even possible?
By Fre$hBreath Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:59 pm
From what I can hear on my professional nearfield monitors and Beyerdynamic DT-1990 headphones the new Rossum SP-1200 sound a lot more closer to the S2400 than it does to the original Emu SP-1200 which is a good thing…