Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By amenphetamine Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:31 pm
Anyone knows the exact number of samples S950 can store per disk/volume?
I remember that it was around 72 or 74 samples, then throwing error, but I'm not pretty sure no more..
Any input much appreciated.
By NearTao Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:31 pm
Generic Floppy Specs
http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2012/10/floppy-disk-useful-storage-space.html

Max storage
1.44MB Floppy - 80 tracks x 18 sectors x 2 sides x 512 bytes per sector = 1,474,560 bytes

Addressable Storage
1.44MB Floppy - 1,457,664 bytes or 98.854%

Number of files
So on a 1.44MB floppy, you could have 2,847 files on the disk, if each were no more than 512 bytes large. The cluster size is not intended to be changeable.

I'm assuming however that 512 bytes is not enough for your samples, so depending on sample size, program meta data, etc... you'll eat into the max number of files.
By amenphetamine Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:37 pm
Thanks for the answer, but that was not what I was looking for.
There is a limit in S950, how many samples (regardless their size) you can store on the floppy or SCSI volume.
If you go over this limit, the machine will go mad and lock itself, making loosing all your job.
And as I already said I have a guess that it was 72, 74 or 76 samples per disk/volume.
Does anyone knows what's the exact number please?

Similar limit is on number of SCSI volumes (partitions if you like) which can't go over 112, that's max limit.
But my question is about number of samples which can be safely saved onto disk/volume before machine will freeze out.

Peace