Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Fre$hBreath Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:15 pm
You wanna judge the Isla Instruments S2400 and the Rossum Electro SP-1200?

Then post all Isla Vs Rossum test videos here.

NO EMU SP-1200s, only Rossum.

Why?

Because Isla and Rossum share the exact same chips, Emu doesn't, that's why...

By peterpiper Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:35 am
I said it before and I say it again. Most videos of the SP1200 suck in audio quality.
I can't take a 'compare' video seriously when it's recorded with the camera mic.
People who bought the Rossum seem to go this route just like most of the Emu owners
By Fre$hBreath Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:45 am
peterpiper wrote:I said it before and I say it again. Most videos of the SP1200 suck in audio quality.
I can't take a 'compare' video seriously when it's recorded with the camera mic.
People who bought the Rossum seem to go this route just like most of the Emu owners

So you're ignoring the fact that the guy who spent $4k on the Rossum is telling you that his SP-1200 sounds exactly like his $$1k Isla S2400?

I don't think he has any reason to lie and maybe he's just a normal music guy and not one of those YouTubers who do reviews?

He said it himself that he only made the video because he was tired of seeing the hate by the Emu/Rossum fans.

I myself got attacked on Instagram when I posted videos of my S2400, I had to pull my posts down because of so many hateful assholes from the Emu/Rossum crowd.

This was during the week of Pete Rock dissing Isla. His stans are **** dicks...
By peterpiper Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:47 pm
I really don't care what people say. Pass me some well recorded audio (some drums, some pianos and if you're a nice person a sinesweep, white noise and a short pulse) and I'll use my ears and some audio tools to make my own subjective decision if device 1 sounds like device 2.
And even IF I think they sound identical I my prefer one device over the other because I like the workflow of it.

peace

BTW The 'hate' of the Emu/Rossum fans is nothing special. The world is getting more and more effed up and people are getting more and more devided either on the x-side or the y-side no matter the topic.
By Lampdog Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:12 pm
peterpiper wrote:I really don't care what people say.

Same.

I’m happy with my S2400 and that’s what matters to me. It works and sounds how I want it sound.
By peterpiper Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:09 pm
Lampdog wrote:
peterpiper wrote:I really don't care what people say.

It works and sounds how I want it sound.

only that counts

@Fre$h: Do you have a service manual of the Rossum or the Isla (cause you talk about same chips) ? I'm interested.

peace
By Fre$hBreath Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:44 am
peterpiper wrote:@Fre$h: Do you have a service manual of the Rossum or the Isla (cause you talk about same chips) ? I'm interested.

peace

No, I don't but I do know that they both use the SSM2044 analog filter chips which is what made me decide not to buy the Rossum after all...
By peterpiper Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:36 pm
Fre$hBreath wrote:
peterpiper wrote:@Fre$h: Do you have a service manual of the Rossum or the Isla (cause you talk about same chips) ? I'm interested.

peace

No, I don't but I do know that they both use the SSM2044 analog filter chips which is what made me decide not to buy the Rossum after all...

No, they don't.
I think they use SSI2144 (a relative new filterchip that is based on the SSM2044)
And tbh IMO the SSM2044 filter of the original SP1200 is one of the most overrated features.
Yes, because of its short envelope it is nice on a kickdrum but what else is it good for? Only output 1&2 have that filterchip. The other outputs are filtered with a much simpler filtercircuit.

I also think that 99% of the people (musicians and audio engineers included) can't hear the difference between a SSI2144 and SSM2044.

peace
By Lampdog Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:35 pm
By Fre$hBreath Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:23 am
peterpiper wrote:
No, they don't.
I think they use SSI2144 (a relative new filterchip that is based on the SSM2044)
And tbh IMO the SSM2044 filter of the original SP1200 is one of the most overrated features.
Yes, because of its short envelope it is nice on a kickdrum but what else is it good for? Only output 1&2 have that filterchip. The other outputs are filtered with a much simpler filtercircuit.

I also think that 99% of the people (musicians and audio engineers included) can't hear the difference between a SSI2144 and SSM2044.

peace

That's the chip I meant, the thing is I knew they both use the exact same chip...