Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By safarimotel Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:10 am
I got ahold of a european S1000 at a pretty decent price, however, I live in Canada - I was considering getting a step-up transformer, but I'm worried that might introduce a buzzing ground loop. Have any of you powered 220v gear in north america using one of these? if so, can you recommend a good one?

I've asked a couple techs in the area (we have very few that service music gear) to see if they could simply swap the PSU for a 120v but they declined as they weren't familiar with the S1000. I'm sure there's a tech in a bigger city that could do the job, but I'd like to avoid shipping if possible. Does anyone have experience doing this? Would this be a simple job for an electrician or should I find someone who's more familiar with music equipment?

Any info or recommendations would be helpful, keep in mind I know almost nothing about servicing electronics. Thank you!
By terry towelling Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:07 am
transformers isolate two circuits, yet allow current/signal to pass. they are sort of magical. transformers are what lie at the heart of DI boxes wth ground loop isolators and power conditioners. they also tend improve the quality of your power supply, not degrade it. so you should be fine with a step-up transformer. .

but, any electronics repair person can easily build you a power supply (they don't need to be music tech people, just the local semi-crazy, semi-recluse guy that repairs flat screen tvs). what they need is the output specs for the power supply. you just need to give them the schematics for the S1000 that shows the power supply.
By richie Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:04 pm
Listen to Terry,

While it is possible to swap out the PSU on an S1000 with a newer age switching power supply, unless you know what you're doing - just use the step down converter. It's fine, you won't get any hum or anything like that.

They cost about $35 to find one that is enough for the S1000.

I hope you didn't buy that S-1000 that someone in Toronto was selling recently on Kijiji, that was fried because dude decided to plug it in the standard outlet.