Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By joegrant413 Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:50 pm
So I can feel the itch to buy a hardware synth, but I want it to integrate well with the MPC.

What features should I look for? What should I stay away from?

I suppose MIDI is probably a must-have. But how far does it need to go to matter? At the least, you'd want MIDI to work with keys, pads, and clock. I suppose at one extreme you'd get MIDI for all the CC controls.

Any tips appreciated,
Joe
By Lampdog Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:09 pm
Be more specific with what you want. Several thousand “keyboards” out there. What ALL do you want it to do?

I have a few keyboards, some overlapping functions, and some functions unique to each.
By joegrant413 Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:25 pm
Mostly I want a real poly analog sound module. I see there is a Behringer Pro 800 coming up.

Since I have a Key 61, I don't need keys or sequencers. I want that poly analog sound, and with presets. The Pro 800 also says it has MIDI for all CCs, which sounds like it be good with the MPC. But I haven't spent any time with mapping the MPC with a piece of gear to know how big of deal that is.
By Lampdog Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:31 pm
Yeah!

That is way more specific and good choice. Not a Behringer fan, but, they’ve been putting in work. I was looking for dedicated sub but I didn’t see it on there. Looks to have more than enough power though.

Searching for midi info nd how it will be handled, can’t find any. The dip switches on back cause me to have midi theories that I don’t like.
By terry towelling Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:21 pm
midi cc allows you to record and automate parameter changes made on the synth, such as filter cut off etc.
so, it's a useful feature to have. but I don't think lack of cc should be considered a deal breaker. most analogue poly synths will give you plenty of movement in the sound anyway, using such things as LFOs and envelopes.
also, midi cc can generate a hell of a lot of midi data that can cause problems for sequencers.

so, any synth with basic midi will work well with any MPC.
you'll also want a pre amp of some kind for the synth, whether that be a sound card/audio interface, mixer or stand alone pre amp.

what's your budget? deckards dream would be my dream pick for an analogue poly synth module
By joegrant413 Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:18 pm
Terry,

Thanks for the info! Yeah, I definitely what to hear more about what features even matter in looking for a hardware synth that I'll use with the MPC. So your thoughts on MIDI cc are much appreciated.

Love loopop, and I'll check out the YouTube.
By Ultros Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:28 am
Multitimbreal, fx and modulation per timbre (per timbre paraphoney), stereo output (trs), the ability to be an everthing synth. (Monophony, Polyphony, Unison.) Or... uniqueness, does it make sounds I have never heard in any other synth. Also i hate the CEM3340 so basically any synth that uses it is off my list.
By hyena Mon May 01, 2023 3:21 pm
don't exclude a synth that intrigues you just because it lacks poliphony, remember you have an automatic multisampler in your mpc :) i create a lot of poly synth patches by autosampling my monophonic modular patches, of course is not the same thing as a real polyphonic synth at your fingertips, but they usually sound very good nonetheless!
in my case the priority is in sound design capabilities, so for example a very good synth might be the behringer 2600 semi modular, it's a ton of fun and a full on laboratory for classic and unconventional synth sounds. then you multisample it and voilà your poly analog sounds :)
By Avasopht Tue May 02, 2023 7:09 am
Get whatever inspires you the most.

Off the top of my head, I'd start with:
1. Behringer Deep Mind
2. Korg MS-20
3. Korg Radias
4. microKorg
5. Roland Juno
6. One of those fm-based Yamaha portasound keyboards with sliders

I wouldn't bother with MIDI. Just sample the audio, ... you'll probably get more out of it that way.
By Koekepan Tue May 02, 2023 9:55 pm
I'm the opposite. I say: absolutely go with MIDI. Some things you can copy with a keygroup, other things take more direct control. The kind of direct sonic modifications that you can do with a MIDI CC go way beyond what you could do with a keygroup.

Depending on the MPC, you could also get away with CV/Gate, but that won't get you far in polyphony. From that perspective, MIDI is the way to go.

I also think that you should keep an open mind on the whole analogue thing. Sure, they can sound lovely, but so can many digital synths. For example, the good old Blofeld can take you to many sonic worlds that the MPC plugins just can't. For the price, it's a steal and a half. There's also a fine case to be made for monosynths that you overdub. An Erebus can sound amazing.
By hyena Wed May 03, 2023 6:51 am
^agree.
also, on the digital side, you can sometimes find access virus ti1 or 2 desktop for a good price second hand, those are monster digital synths too, plenty of polyphony and multitimbral with separate outs, you can do an entire song with just one of those... they send midi cc on every parameter, so you can automate everything from the sequencer and\or record knob motions. every one of the 16 parts has its own effects too, and they sound amazing for an almost 20 years old synth...
By jpeg Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:18 am
all synths will have midi the main thing to look for is the sound; cos if ur using a lot of samples u will defo need to be mindful of how the synth sounds when paired with samples, if ur a good sound designer u can use any synth but if ur not then better to find a synth that has the right tone out the box so u dont have to do too much work to get the sythn to sound right with sample content