Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By mikehende Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:28 pm
Hey guys, I am using this midi controller to control [trigger] effects plugins in Reaper when listening to live music. Problem I am having is with the rotary knobs. I would like when I turn it that the line on the knob is in the same position as the line on the knob in Reaper plugin. Right now, if I want to go from 7-5 o'clock in one swoop I can't, I will need to turn that Akai knob a few times to get to 5 o'clock.

Since I control only the 'time' and 'feedback' rotary controls in the fx plugins and don't have a preset point, I always need to turn the knob to whichever point I will like.

I have been trying to understand the Relative vs Absolute concept. I was thinking that the absolute setting is what I will need but was told on the Reaper forum:

You can use absolute mode for that, yes. But it comes with the mentioned disadvantages (potential parameter jumps, no way to configure the resolution/sensitivity).

Relative mode works as well but doesn't have those disadvantages. If you have endless encoders, you are much better off using them in relative mode!

and this from Akai Support yesterday:

Within the editor the knobs can only be set between 0 - 127 which means that these are Absolute when in CC type.
With regards to what you are doing if you change the Type to Increment/Decrement 1 or 2 within the editor then If Inc/Dec1 is the selected Type, this
determines the value sent by an Increment (CC #96) or Decrement (CC #97) message.

This should be what you are looking for.

Some MIDI controllers can send ”value increment” and ”value decrement” messages instead of absolute values. These controls prevent parameter jumps when the state of a control in Live and the corresponding control on the hardware MIDI controller differ. For example, imagine that you have assigned the pan knob on your control surface to the pan parameter of a track in Live.

Trying to understanding the technical stuff best as I can but need help. So can anyone of you guys help me get over this hurdle please. Should I go with absolute or relative please?