Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Quentin Falzon Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:33 am
Hey everybody, novice S2800i user over here.

Over the past few days I've become best friends with the S2800 manual I printed and spiral bound. I'm reading through the part on saving to disk and came across this text:

"Be careful if you are using samples which have been slightly modified between programs; give them different names to avoid overwriting what may represent hours of work, unless of course you specifically want to."

Firstly, can someone break down what this means exactly? I'm a bit confused by "samples which have been slightly modified between programs". Does this mean two identical samples (that are in two different programs) but each have different parameters like tuning or sample rate?

I'm using the ZuluSCSI RP2040 Mini to save/load my work, no floppy disks. I've just started to experiment with loading .iso images, making my own programs, sampling some things and trimming them etc. Now I've created my own basic drum program I intend use as a foundation for track X. The snare sample is named "SNARE1". I save the program and its samples to disk, selecting (CURSOR PROG + SAMPLES).

Bearing the quoted paragraph in mind, suppose later I start working on a different track Y and I create its own drum program with its own "SNARE1" sample. If I try to save the program the same way and in the same place where track X's SNARE1 is located, would track X's SNARE1 get overwritten by track Y's SNARE1, even though they belong to 2 separate programs?

Given the 12-character limitation on names I think it's difficult to give every sample a unique name that's also meaningful. Should I be using a new volume/partition/SCSI ID/SD card to store the programs/samples etc. of each new track? Guide me a little here, what are the best practices in this case? :worthy:
By NearTao Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:53 pm
What it is just trying to say is that if you load a program from disk, and make changes to the program or samples... if you save to the same disk, you will overwrite the original program because the names are the same.

You may want to do that because the program might be whack, or you might make some changes to your program/samples that were bad, accidentally overwrite your old program... and now be unable to bring it back.

So... they are basically suggesting, depending on the outcome you want... either rename the program/sample names to avoid overwriting content, or swap out the disk and write to a new one so you still have your old programs.

For these devices basically you are expected to implement whatever steps in your workflow to be the backup system. The devices make no such decisions or claims on your program/sample data.