Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By ZnZerna Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:55 pm
It has a lot of quirks and importantly The Punch in Effects cannot be Sequenced. That almost kept me away from it, but it really does look fun and immediate like the PO line, which I enjoyed, but more robust, and goddamn gorgeous.
By mrmarbury Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:45 am
Lampdog wrote:The thread title could have stated:

“Teenage Engineering released the EP-133 K.O.II”

Could have. But in my defence ... it didn't :mrgreen:
My first thought when I saw this was exactly this ... Hey, it's the MPC mini.
By glide Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:56 am
Design and workflow are just another level

and I wish the Nukais would have this sound ...

the bass is clear and round, in the mids and highs everything is clear, detailed and has space .. things are airy and the sound feels dimensional , does not break up distort or sound flat / compressed like its dithered from softwhere on an ipad or 3rd party mother board ;) ... they seamed to have taken their time in tuning the frequency resolution it to internal clocking and pitch algos

it also has ``time`` (realtime) adjustable by fader as well as pitch ... so its basically elastic audio whereas you can find pitch and time of loop/sound in realtime..

FX are just full of sweet spots, very much alive .. not sterile

hope TE have a pro version following this quickly with step seq, resampling better hardwhere etc as this is absolutly a sensational release and makes other companies look like they are running lower degrees on craftsmanship ...

Only bad news here it seams is QC issues are already popping up which is a damm shame .. they should known as they made an absolutely sensational workstation conspectus with one of the greatest modern step sequencer ever: the OPZ, that sadly is known for having mechanical issues ... lets just say the OPZ 2 is the most anticipated workstation to date after what the did here with PO33 MK2
By jpeg Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:31 pm
glide wrote:Design and workflow are just another level

and I wish the Nukais would have this sound ...

the bass is clear and round, in the mids and highs everything is clear, detailed and has space .. things are airy and the sound feels dimensional , does not break up distort or sound flat / compressed like its dithered from softwhere on an ipad or 3rd party mother board ;) ... they seamed to have taken their time in tuning the frequency resolution it to internal clocking and pitch algos

FX are just full of sweet spots, very much alive .. not sterile

hope TE have a pro version following this quickly with step seq, resampling better hardwhere etc as this is absolutly a sensational release and makes other companies look like they are running lower degrees on craftsmanship ...

u say u would like a pro version but step sequence and resampling can be added using a firmware update? also what would u change about the hardware?

u made a good point about how lively the fx sound now as i compare the to how dry and boring the mpc fx sound for the most part.

also u mentioned the sound; and i was thing how great the pitch shift sounded on this thing, it had that retro chique type sound, somehow clean but vintage.

defo a buy and it has basically made me loose interest in the 404mk; u cant beat this ep133 for portable beats
By glide Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:35 pm
jpeg wrote:u say u would like a pro version but step sequence and resampling can be added using a firmware update? also what would u change about the hardware?

Ive got good experience in design UIs... and if you want a serious answear its going to have to be a detailed post, costing time and effort, it would need to be harmonious to the current flow and I would have to have experienced the flow 1st hand for at least some time before I would commit an answear, I don't know how they have implanted scenes nor loop, but sample loop and re-sampling goes without say'would make this a very powerfull box and program change feature needs to be there for syncing up with other sequencers .

but in short TE has some amazing code under their belt ... and creating a pro version would be a bigger / more outs, more poly, sound layering, propper envelope setting, fx engines per pad etc etc ... but also something innovative like being able to buy and load the PO as modules /card installs similarly as Akai charges for plugins .. or simply include them but that is stepping on their own business model as the PO are still good sellers and for a very good reason, they are cheap fun and sound good ..

I could definitely see the vocoder one in this 33mk2 though, allowing two sources/ group or pad (or input voice) to intermodulate ( vocoder = signal & carrier) ... step sequencer would be awsesome with Z step components but this might clutter up the UI and that is the alst thing you weant to do, rather see and xl or platinum version with the extra buttons/labeling to preform these features,..I assume they plan a few more in this line ... needless to say a Z in this format with updated synths, envelopes, velocity modulation, round robbins, lfos, ect would be stunning ..

TE also need to be commend on the price,.. its far more than just a competing marketing move, they literally expanded their Indy design brand to a global main stream player..
By Ill-Green Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:29 pm
The QC issues are from the way it was packaged.

Just saw 2 unboxing vids and saw the box to be thin as the unit itself without extra slack or protection. TE sending these in mail baggies too. Sliders are arriving broken and if not the slider, it was banged up pretty bad at shipping.

From EU to USA is a rocky trip. Someone fuktup.
By ShengTao Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:58 pm
Did anyone else manage to grab one? I think I got the last one on Friday via B&H around 9AM. Should arrive Wednesday. I tried to resist, but it just looks so damn cool. FX & workflow look like fun.. and the price was hard to argue with.
By ShengTao Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:04 pm
Ill-Green wrote:The QC issues are from the way it was packaged.

Just saw 2 unboxing vids and saw the box to be thin as the unit itself without extra slack or protection. TE sending these in mail baggies too. Sliders are arriving broken and if not the slider, it was banged up pretty bad at shipping.

From EU to USA is a rocky trip. Someone fuktup.

Looks like the fader knob was a bad fit.. too much pressure to instal leading to breakage. If mine gives any resistance I'm just gonna go knob free on the fader (or take a fader cap from an old controller).
I saw one guy (bobeats, I think) who's speaker just quit.
By glide Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:13 am
the fadergate is real .. :smh: saw it happen in a review .. also witnesses the speaker failing ..yep live in a review .. :shock:

good news on the MIDI side
It sends and receives MMC, CC and receives Program change ... :smoker:

step sequencing with parameter locks (would rock) and make this a formidable sequencer and in a world of ''you get a wopping of 4-8 bar groovebox trend'' it already is a big seq, allowing 99bars of midi loop recording

So upgrade the QC (fix the mechanical side) and add
song mode
resampling
sample loop
sequencing of punch in FX
step sequencer
Vocoder and EQ
= and its a mega star

in other news it look like the theme of these EP (with the album like cover packaging) is realted to Extended play (ala vinyl) bringing the assumption that there will be a LP version at some point :!: