Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.

By TicToc Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:04 am
Something Like That wrote:You can just sample all the sounds you want into it, put them on a zip and move on with your life.

...except for the fact that the sp1200 has no scsi (for saving to a zip), and doesnt save as .wav files (for using later in another machine).

By dennison Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:48 am
HYPE!!!!!!! Not worth the cash.

okay I'll brace myself. :x

By Something Like That Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:15 pm
TicToc wrote:
Something Like That wrote:You can just sample all the sounds you want into it, put them on a zip and move on with your life.

...except for the fact that the sp1200 has no scsi (for saving to a zip), and doesnt save as .wav files (for using later in another machine).

That has not stopped me from putting all my SP sounds on zip.

By Antonym Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:49 pm
HYPE!!!!!!! Not worth the cash.

agreed

find yourself a workaround and save a grand

move up, on and beyond. good machien for the nineties, and some peopel still use it well today (jel) but it's time to move on

By d_loc Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:04 pm
yaweh is spelled yahweh I think

By Antonym Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:33 pm
thanks dloc! actually, it's spelled YHWH since hebrew is a written language without vowels

but i'll update!

By aliengroover Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:45 pm
The appeal of an SP is the whole thing, but mainly the sound. It's a classic piece with rare electronics, and thus worth every dime you pay for it. Features-wise? The year doesn't matter so long as it does what you want. MPCs are so-called ancient "relics", but I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world, despite all the "power" in other gear. You have to use one to understand it.

If you just want the sound occasionally, look no further than the SD2100 plug-in. Trust, it doesn't just sound a LOT like an SP, it simply just sounds good. I've had people listen to the blind test I did and swore that the SD file was the SP. That's pretty damn impressive. Most lo-fi plug-ins aren't very good. The SD, and it's effect only sibling (the FX2100), are the closest you're going to get without getting an SP or old Emulator or Emax. Otherwise, nothign beats the SP for that sound
Peace

By c.toon Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:54 pm
erkl wrote:u could go with one of these too

They can also be fitted with SCSI if your machine has the right board.
More sampletime, completly adjustable filters on the outputs. Changeable sampling rate.

All stuff the sp doesnt have, but still an emax is just an option and never a replacement due to the faders / OS / sequencer on the SP

.toon

By dfacedxa Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:17 am
emax is no sp
dont gass these kids go back to **** fam matters..... hahaha
nah serious aside from the kid with glasses askin did i do that. i got sp and emax sittin next to eachother. they sound diff
buy an sp or get off its nuts

By switch18 Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:52 am
its true, the SP1200 is limited from a technical perspective (no zip, SCSI, etc), but its still a great machine. Its expensive too. However, the same thing can be said about older analogs. They are limited. Some have no memory, MONO & go out of tune, but its all about the sound. The sound makes it all worth while. Maybe the average person won't know the difference between an SP or an MPC, but the producer always will. Ultimately thats all that matters as its the producer that shells out the money for the gear to make the beats, etc.

By kersey Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:38 am
it sounds def but is really a luxury.... for the same price you can have an MPC3000
I think I'll only get one with money made from my other machines
the sp12 turbo is also much cheaper.

from what I read, some of the guys like lord finesse, pete rock, that only swore the by the SP/950 combo have now moved to other machines (but they did not dump it)...

By switch18 Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:43 pm
Everybody eventually moves on. I just read in a magazine that even DJ Shadow has kinda moved on! He uses Battery for many of his sounds and does most of the editing on the Mac now. He uses the MPC3000 to trigger the samples from the computer. Like that pad thing from Akai...whats it called?....Yeah, that one.

Pete Rock says you can't quite duplicate the sound of the SP. You can do it on the MPC with some techniques.

By thegreatmuffin Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:44 pm
Actually, it is not that strange if you think of it. If you sample a lot than using Battery could pretty much do the trick. With the right audio interface and a couple of nice pre amps or analog mixing desk or... Hell why not both. Where I'm heading to?

Well, rework the sh!t, route it through your audio interface to the mixing desk, into one or more valve preamps, add some outboard effects if you like and back and get it all as one stereotrack back into your computer. Burn that on a disc and you should have a nice sounding cd :D

If you do it right, that is...