Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By cre8tive Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:15 pm
Does anyone use or formerly own one of these keyboards? If so how does it sound in comparison to the SP-1200? Do you get the "ring modulation" on samples?

By RundFyrkant Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:14 pm
it has a very thick lowend sound to it within itself.
but i guess that sound can be made on any sampler with som proper EQing.
it was a **** to edit samples with that tiny little screen.
never comapred it to a SP1200 though.

i know that people with SP1200 is pretty particular about the sound in it but i personally never got the fascination for it.
imo the emulator 2+ should sound closer to a SP1200 than the Emax.
if that's what your lookin for
By roxstar Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:34 pm
I used the sp-1200, and I own the emax. The difference in sound is UN-NOTICABLE when you play the music. Sure you can tell a slight difference, but you can't notice anything when the beat is playing. I don't know anyone anal enough to need the exact replication of any machine.. if it sounds good, it sounds good. Nahmean?
Anyways, the emax has a choice of different sample rates. from 10,16,20,28,31 and 42khz. How dope is that? It can sample clean, or dirty. 10 is almost too low, 16 has the ring mod sound like the sp-1200, but the 20 is a nice dirt sound, but not too clean.. nice for drums, and 28 is nice for longer samples that you basically want to add a lil character too. Anyone that tryies to convince you to get the SP-1200 over the emax doesn't know what their talking about. I would buy the sp-1200 for it's sound and the sequencer, but since your using the MPC, all you need is the sound. AN SP-1200 will hit you for at least $1000.00. I got my Emax for $125 on ebay. So if your willing to spend an extra $875.00 to get the exact sound, then go ahead, but like I said before, no one will notice.
In fact, I've been using lots of samplers, and the casio RZ-1 is a cheap but perfect percussion sampler. The memory is so limited that there is no need to edit your samples.. as soon as it begins to sample, it stops. I really enjoyed that box. The emax, I would never sell. Not because I own it, but it's so flexible. The analog filters are a beast. A third party OS would be great. There is a SCSI hook-up inthe back, but the OS is so old you can only save 20 megs on a 100 meg zip disk. I usually just sample into the mpc tho.
It's a nice sampler.. hands down the best dirty sampler I own. If I could cram more internal memory into it, I probably wouldn't need anything else.
Last edited by roxstar on Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

By peezie Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:23 pm
all of em do.
erkl wrote:which emax has the analog filter ?

By rokuez Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:52 pm
peezie wrote:all of em do.
erkl wrote:which emax has the analog filter ?

emax II has digital filters

By peezie Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:27 pm
regular emax's. SE, hd. emax2's 16bit so theyre not the same.

By dfacedxa Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:42 pm
what happend to your ring modulator?

By cre8tive Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:41 pm
sold it for $500.00 on ebay---and got a used Korg Kaoss KP2----it's ILL!!! I really like it. Paid $150 for the KP2

I was looking 2 purchase the Emax HD SE off ebay but it ended up selling for more than I was willing 2 pay--the Kaoss is DAMN good--Im finally satisfied.
By goldenmean Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:18 pm
one of the problems with all the old emu gear is that its a real pain to maintain once things start breaking.

if you are looking for a variable rate gritty sound for the mpc, try the first dr sample, sp202 (not the sp303 or 404, they only have one lo fi setting). it has 4 different sample rates and sounds pretty good. my homie uses that as a front end on a 2000xl, he puts his vinyl samples in that thing along with breaks, and then samples into the mpc. it sounds dirty and good. plus if you **** up the sample in the mpc, its real easy to dump back in because its already stored in the 202.

i hate to be the millionth person to say it, but theres no proper emulation of an sp1200. that minimal old box is the shit in every way if you are going for that sound. but like i said, servicing that old gear can get frustrating as ****.

i wish someone would manufacture an effects pedal box that could digitally emulate lower bit rates and resolutions in real time!

By DFENS Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:01 am
what are these EMAX samplers like to program/tweak samples? good workflow or just good sound..? never seen one up close, just wondering how well the're interfaces work.

By c.toon Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:36 pm
If I were you id just cop one.
You can always sell these things again and the emax has an incredible sound.
The reason its been in the dark for so long are all these ignorant dudes being anal about the legendary 1200. Of course its an ill machine - but damn all of you are fooling yourself. As dude above said, you can get these for 100-300 bucks. This is a fukcing steal man! Of course it doesnt have the faders and of course it doesnt have that dope sequencer and the quantizing the sp has but damnn 200 bucks? I'm still wondering what most of you ppl are waiting for.

.toon

By dfacedxa Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:55 pm
toon-how about copy sample?