Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.

By renegadebliss Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:46 pm
moyphee wrote:Unless you a have 24 bit sample source or an analog source with very broad DR employing 24bit resolution at the input stage is only cosmetic. The 16/44.1 makes perfect sense. Only a few guys on any machine have input sources that need that kind of dynamic range. If your lifting from vynil, CDs, common line sources,or 24bit just looks good on paper.

Oh see, I don't rip off other peoples works, so I don't really sample from Vinyl or CD... 99% of my samples comes from Analog Synths and they benefit quite a bit from the extra dynamics...

Cheers,
Dave

By renegadebliss Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:58 pm
SonicLabsAudio wrote:the v-fire turns rolands rbus into 16 chans of firewire alot of people use it on the mv 8000 and im sure it will sell alot on this unit as well. Have 8 analoug outs plus 16 over firewire.

That is incorrect!

V-fire DOES have 16 channels, but NOT when used with MV. It is 8 channels per R-Bus and the MV only has 1 R-Bus if you buy the expansion.

So here were go. Looks AGAIN like Roland is catching up to us.
Now you can finally with Roland buy the optional Output Card and then buy the V-Fire and you can have 8 channels going into your PC via Firewire.

On the MPC 4000, I can buy the ADAT output card and then by ANY market ADAT --> Firewire card/box and I have the EXACT same thing on my MPC 4000, but instead of having to use proprietary roland R-bus technology, i was able to use the ADAT standard and have it connect up to ANY number of things that accept ADAT...

Cheers,
Dave

By moyphee Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:48 pm
renegadebliss wrote:
SonicLabsAudio wrote:instead of having to use proprietary roland R-bus technology, i was able to use the ADAT standard and have it connect up to ANY number of things that accept ADAT...

Cheers,
Dave

The biggest problem with Roland R-Bus is that it's really the cable and connectors that makes it proprietary . The R-Bus cables/connectors are cross inverted so you can't use a standard SCSI cable regardless of the data content. This has always upset me and i see it as a scam more than anything else especially when the R-Bus cable cost $50 compared to $5 for standard cable.

I built my own cable for $13 but it was a pain.

This is why nobody but Roland would support it until recently. R-Bus is not seamless technology either. You can't use the MV either the 2480 without problems because of the two different recording methods. Roland does not disclose this to the buyer. It's misleading to make someone think that you can use anything with anything with R-Bus.

Still got my MV but my VS-2480 is long gone because of this.

By TheFirstJimBo Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:09 pm
drop that MV, drop it many times! :lol: Looks cool, nothing I would buy though

By moyphee Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:37 pm
TheFirstJimBo wrote:drop that MV, drop it many times! :lol: Looks cool, nothing I would buy though

Can't do that brah :) I've actually been using it more than my 4K the last few weeks.

By jaem Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:59 pm
i was at the show and got a demo...the 8800 looks serious....

prolly selling all 3 of my current samplers to get one.....

pads are super ill, not only velocity sensitive but they also have after touch

real time pitch and time stretch are ill, not to mention the amount of sounds the box ships with (damn near every drum machine, ever!!!)

By SonicLabsAudio Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:21 am
sorry i sold my mv before the v fire dropped. thanks for the clear up its been a min since i followed it.

By shrednar Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:50 am
jaem wrote:i was at the show and got a demo...the 8800 looks serious....

real time pitch and time stretch are ill, not to mention the amount of sounds the box ships with (damn near every drum machine, ever!!!)

I just pre-ordered mine. I might sell my 2500 if I end up using it more and if Akai fails to drop a new OS soon.

By adl1 Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:57 am
like said it got released because of the lead elements that can't be used due to euro laws... same for the V Synht GT

I worked with the first MV, dope machine, lots of possiblities, but I preferred the sequencer on my MPC... a new 4000 would be dope too... we don't need no fancy color screens, just a **** bug free machine

By jaem Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:44 pm
shrednar wrote:

I just pre-ordered mine. I might sell my 2500 if I end up using it more and if Akai fails to drop a new OS soon.

i talked to akai @ the show, they'll be dropping something new by summer namm

By McSmooth Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:41 pm
Looks like Roland dropped the ball just like Akai keeps doing in regards to improving their sample engine. It's too bad, if they worked veriphrase into it, that thing would be a monster. Instead they mostly add gimmicky features (like a color screen) that people think they need. Not saying the MV is a bad machine, just that their new version is not much of an improvement... just like the last 3 MPCs.

It's clear that to stay in business in the gear industry, you have to add bells and whistle's people think they need rather than inovative ideas. I do however give Roland props on their V-synth line (even though I would be willing to bet 80% of its buyers get it for the presets).

I completely agree with moyphee on the 4ks adat making more sense than roland's propietary firewire setup. ADAT has been a standard for years and the firewire interface you probably already have supports it (as well as tons of other hardware). Not to mention you can work with your 24/96 material and skip the whole D/A process people were complaining about earlier. The vfire method sounds like a crappy mLAN (and its a damn shame the industry didn't just go with mLAN or some other standard by now).

By batteryboy Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:37 am
i am not MPC owner

but i would say that Roland is the only competition AKAI has and with this MV they have push the limit.

the only thing roland now need to do is come up with some 1000$ - sampling station. which can go along mpc1000

i think roland lower the cost of MV right..?

i think it used to be 3000$ some. may be i am wrong.

By mpc4000xl Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:32 pm
jaem wrote:
shrednar wrote:

JAEM....................UR CLOWNIN AINT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :!:

By jaem Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:20 pm
mpc4000xl wrote:
jaem wrote:
shrednar wrote:

JAEM....................UR CLOWNIN AINT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :!:

no I'm dead serious.....

I asked about it and the akai rep mentioned how they never do releases at winter namm but to be on the look out for something in spring/summer 07