Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Mr Guiness Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:01 am
I've been temperarely seperated from my MPC for about a month but I still got my SP.Being who I am ,I cant stop making beats for any long period of time.I've been making my beats just using the SP and my keyboard .I was wondering if anybody out there just uses an SP ,tracks the beat out, then delete the samples ,then add more samples in sp,then overdub.I'm just curious to see if anybody has tried this before.Only reason being is because there's only 10 seconds total in the SP,maybe close to 20 if you sample at 45 .If I'm not mistaking I think Pete Rock made his early beats like this.

By J.Daniels Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:58 am
The whole fun of it is using the limitations of the sp. I used to make full length tracks with the sp-12 turbo which only had 5 seconds.

By roxstar Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:33 pm
"I used to make full length tracks with the sp-12 turbo which only had 5 seconds."

Me too! haha, I started getting "Sequencer overload" messages a few years ago tho. I don't think it can handle more than 5000 notes. You have to be a genius to make beats on a SP-12 and nothing else tho. 5 seconds, 8 pads. By time you have a kick, snare, hi-hat and a bassline, you have about 3.? seconds of enormous sampling time and 4 pads for as many samples you could possibly desire! I just sold my SP-12 on Ebay for $475 +$40 shipping (japan) :)
p.s I won't miss the clunky pads! But today,I just bought an Emulator 1 for $100, so I'm kinda in the same boat again! :)

By J.Daniels Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:04 pm
woah sequencer overload! im pretty positive i never saw that. I always deleted the sequences after i recorded them.

I miss my SP-12 and i dont at the same time. It was too much a luxury, and was starting to show its age through faulty functions. so i sold it and never looked back.... and i made mad profit!

By BeatznBooze Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:21 pm
i agree, i love the sound and all but with today's technology, unless you have that kinda of money to throw away or you're into collecting vintage shit, money could be wisely spent elsewhere.

By LvngDead Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:55 pm
any of you wanna get rid of your sp-1200, I'll take it off your hands FOR FREE!! NO CHARGE AT ALL! (suckers, ehehe)

By Willis Reed Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:55 pm
You don't have to be a genius, roxtar. You can make perfectly good beats with just an Sp12 turbo.
I've done it myself and I'm far from a musical genius or something like that.
Check the track called "Khaki" at the following link; all SP12 Turbo

http://my.rawkus.com/profile/Daveone

By rokuez Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:28 pm
when i had my sp i made one tune only using the sp strictly. after i got all the drums in the sp i only had enough sample time for like a horn stab or a one note kinda sample.

when i get back to my main pc i'll see if i stil have it and post

By roxstar Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:43 am
"Check the track called "Khaki" at the following link; all SP12 Turbo"

Props on that! Sounded dope! I did a few joints on the SP-12 also. It definitely takes a different type of producer to max out one of these machines. In todays world, most people need more options even when their MPC has 128mb ram, an 80gig hard-drive, and a dvd drive! :)

By v00d00ppl Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:19 pm
roxstar wrote:"I used to make full length tracks with the sp-12 turbo which only had 5 seconds."

Me too! haha, I started getting "Sequencer overload" messages a few years ago tho. I don't think it can handle more than 5000 notes. You have to be a genius to make beats on a SP-12 and nothing else tho. 5 seconds, 8 pads. By time you have a kick, snare, hi-hat and a bassline, you have about 3.? seconds of enormous sampling time and 4 pads for as many samples you could possibly desire! I just sold my SP-12 on Ebay for $475 +$40 shipping (japan) :)
p.s I won't miss the clunky pads! But today,I just bought an Emulator 1 for $100, so I'm kinda in the same boat again! :)

how did u get that good deal on the emulator I? did you know that stevie wonder was the official owner of serial number 1 for the emulator 1? knock out some good sounds then.

peace

By tbiggz Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:59 pm
Hmmm... full tracks. I guess I could make a few full tracks with my SP1200 but I'd have a hard time making an album with just that. There's not enough sample time and ways to modify timbre...

SP-only tracks are made possible if you can generate a "stone-cold groove"--basically, a loop that sounds amazing over and over again. It's not that hard to make, but it's hard to pick a winner (no "pun").

On the other hand, I *do* make a LOT of SP-only grooves etc.. just to keep my chops up. I'll post a couple in a bit if I can...(I'm still not so great getting beats of my DR16 rigs into MP3.) But I will TRY goddamn it.

Dave-one's joint "Khaki" is representative of what happens when you push the SP to make music... you can transpose up and down to get notes but you'll find you get a lot of 16t-quantized 3-note rhodes licks with horn and guitar stabs. It sounds good too (and props to Dave-one btw), but it can also sound a bit like a "canned" formula.

I dunno, I use my SP more than anything else, but yeah, I don't think Mecca and the Soul Brother is in any way representative of what 10-seconds on an SP alone can be used to create. The S900 is all over that record, and there are some huge 4-bar loops.

By metafor Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:25 pm
Check out Jel and his album "10 Secs" all done on a Sp-1200....

By jonnyscratch Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:39 pm
DJ Signify did his Sleep No More album with just a SP1200 and an 8 track . . . .

and a coupla rappers :lol: