Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.

By switch18 Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:09 pm
metafor wrote:Check out Jel and his album "10 Secs" all done on a Sp-1200....

Thats a great example of just using the SP-1200 and nothing more.

I've never done a track with just the SP, but I really want to make a few songs with that and just one of my synths. Its hard when you have a few options to pick from though.

By tbiggz Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:16 am
Aghh.. it's so easy getting mp3s to the web with a mac. jeezus, I feel like an archaelogical find. Anyway, this is some SP-only stuff. This is definitely "keep-your-chops-up" type stuff now now that I listen to it... (pun intended this time)

Some "let's rap" sh1t: Push-Pull (BK Affect)

In betweenment: Interlewd

Subaquarian: Nautilous (sp.)

By Jacpot Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:12 am
tbiggz wrote:Aghh.. it's so easy getting mp3s to the web with a mac. jeezus, I feel like an archaelogical find. Anyway, this is some SP-only stuff. This is definitely "keep-your-chops-up" type stuff now now that I listen to it... (pun intended this time)

Some "let's rap" sh1t: Push-Pull (BK Affect)

In betweenment: Interlewd

Subaquarian: Nautilous (sp.)
Nice beats :!: :o

By Teletran1 Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:57 am
Willis Reed wrote:You don't have to be a genius, roxtar. You can make perfectly good beats with just an Sp12 turbo.
I've done it myself and I'm far from a musical genius or something like that.
Check the track called "Khaki" at the following link; all SP12 Turbo

http://my.rawkus.com/profile/Daveone

I'm loving that Khaki joint. Ish is fresh. Keep that up.

By Jacpot Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:10 am
Teletran1 wrote:
Willis Reed wrote:You don't have to be a genius, roxtar. You can make perfectly good beats with just an Sp12 turbo.
I've done it myself and I'm far from a musical genius or something like that.
Check the track called "Khaki" at the following link; all SP12 Turbo

http://my.rawkus.com/profile/Daveone

I'm loving that Khaki joint. Ish is fresh. Keep that up.
that sunday joint is one of the best beats I heard in a while

By kingmob Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:20 pm
any of you sp12 users realise that you could copy your samples over rom sounds and then delete the original sampled sound and free up the sample memory again....and ....if you have a sp12 try typing 23 /yes/yes for some disco fun!!,its the first drumbox i owned and would never part with it....

By Mr Guiness Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:49 pm
That's what I was talking about in the original post.I was asking does anybody track out the beat in a multitrack, pro tools etc. , then delete most samples ( I would keep a hi hat for timing ). Like you said you could do this over and over again.I did read somewhere that Pete Rock made "Mecca And The Soulbrother " like that. Oh yeah ,nice beats that you all posted.

By soup wonder Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:42 pm
I (and tons of people) have made beats like this with SP's or with other samplers or with turntables. It's a lot easier now that you don't have to stripe timecode or a click to your four track or adjust the pitch when the tape stretches.

I prefer protools ... though there is a lot to be said for not having an undo.

By emc156 Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:48 pm
yo, here is a beat i made with just the sp1200 and old records.

www.soundclick.com/mnp

track - "tons of pride"
Last edited by emc156 on Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By deck daddy Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:20 pm
It's not hard to make beats on the SP1200 alone. I even make my bass lines inside that beast, playing around with short bass tones. I'm so into using it right now that when I used my beloved 3000 yesterday I thought it sounded boring and weak. And I really love the sound on the 3000 too! But maybe it's just a phase I'm going through. But everything just sound beautiful but ruff gritty and hard knocking on the 1200.

Me and my homie Fredfades makes 1200 beats together all the time. Peep some of them at
http://www.myspace.com/deckfades

Check two of the beats we have done on YouTube too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXVOy8mdeLE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgy1LGEIg6c

These are pretty standard beats, but we have worked one some new stuff that really uses all that sampling time possible. And of course, it's mostly 1-, 2- and 4-bar loops we make, but you can stretch that memory a whole lot, and use very short samples creatively. If you sample synth tones you can do a lot of stuff with them.

If you need that extra time you should get a S950. It's not expensive but it's a top quality sampler. But you probably know that already.

By DJ Supreme Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:11 am
[quote="deck daddy"]It's not hard to make beats on the SP1200 alone. I even make my bass lines inside that beast, playing around with short bass tones. I'm so into using it right now that when I used my beloved 3000 yesterday I thought it sounded boring and weak. And I really love the sound on the 3000 too! But maybe it's just a phase I'm going through. But everything just sound beautiful but ruff gritty and hard knocking on the 1200.
If you need that extra time you should get a S950. It's not expensive but it's a top quality sampler. But you probably know that already.[/quote

I agree deckdaddy! I just got my mpc3000 and im lovin it. I tried to get rid of my sp but i cant do it. I started with the sp/950 combo and it produced the best quality. So Im just going to keep the sp to run drums through b4 they hit the mpc3000. I will never get rid of the sp1200 its my baby. But i must say I rather make beats on the sequencer of the mpc3000........ I

By deck daddy Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:38 am
Word, the sequencer in the 3000 is great! I love moving notes around and using all those tracks. I love that the 3000 has a dedicated Timing Correct button too. Makes it fast to choose between different corrections and of course turning the quantization off.

But the 1200, with its basic sequencer, is great too! And I'm totally in love with it.

By DJ Supreme Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:20 am
Yo you and fedfades make me want to go back to making beats just on the sp!! You guys are dope !!! :D

By 950skweezyotitties Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:37 am
kingmob wrote:any of you sp12 users realise that you could copy your samples over rom sounds and then delete the original sampled sound and free up the sample memory again....and ....if you have a sp12 try typing 23 /yes/yes for some disco fun!!,its the first drumbox i owned and would never part with it....

if you sample a sound, then copy it to a rom bank(1-3), then delete the original you DO NOT get the sample memory back. you just lose the ability to chop this sound. if you copy a sampled sound and use it on a rom bank you do not use up any additional memory. maybe this is where you got confused. you can use a rom sound's note allocation but you can not use its sound memory hence ROM. if you havent parted with the machine try booting it up and see what im sayin.