Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.

By monogee Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:58 pm
The S-950 was my first sampler back in the day. I bought it when it first came out. Is it the weakest? It never sounded weak to me. As you read through these forums, some will say, it all depends on what you put in it and I agree. My studio engineer would eq all my samples before recording it into the S-950(some will say that is a bad technique) and my samples never sounded weak.

By Nojus Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:19 pm
by weak i mean low in gain, somehow dull and with no character. like mpc2kxl and sp12 sounded big and more punchy. i basically wanna know how it sounds on its own, without samples being processed before they hit s950.

By fobedafied Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:20 pm
eq'ing and panning are fundamental parts of quality sample recording...

By rickrock305 Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:47 pm
the best part about the s950 is the sine wave bass

By fobedafied Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:49 pm
rickrock305 wrote:the best part about the s950 is the sine wave bass

actually the best partof the 950s sound is the filter... without the filter the "tone" sine wave wouldnt be a bass at all... :wink:

By jimey Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:05 pm

how do i get that bass sound? the only thing i figured out is to transpose it in the edit program section. but there must be other ways. the same with "real" samples. don't see where i can kill the highs and boost all the lows
i'm new to the s950, sorry for this question :oops:

By 950skweezyotitties Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:32 pm
actually the best partof the 950s sound is the filter... without the filter the "tone" sine wave wouldnt be a bass at all... Wink

pitch it down, no filter needed to get a bass tone. get ya game up

the sine wave aint nothin special either. very basic sound. far from the best part of the sampler.

best part of the 950 is the way the sampler sounds imo. i love the filter and stretch but it would be useless without dope samples to apply em to.
also the os is one of the best aspects of the machine.

By fobedafied Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:28 pm
950skweezyotitties wrote:
actually the best partof the 950s sound is the filter... without the filter the "tone" sine wave wouldnt be a bass at all... Wink

pitch it down, no filter needed to get a bass tone. get ya game up

the sine wave aint nothin special either. very basic sound. far from the best part of the sampler.

best part of the 950 is the way the sampler sounds imo. i love the filter and stretch but it would be useless without dope samples to apply em to.
also the os is one of the best aspects of the machine.

my bad for the misinfo... i stand corrected... its been over a year since ive had my samplers up and running, but thats no excuse for forgetting about pitching samples... :lol: i guess your right, i need to get my game up.... :oops:

By rickrock305 Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:24 am
fobedafied wrote:

actually the best partof the 950s sound is the filter... without the filter the "tone" sine wave wouldnt be a bass at all... :wink:

actually you are wrong about that...go load up a signal generator in your favorite DAW, set it to a sine wave somewhere around 50-60 Hz and tell me there's no bass there...no filter needed.

By fobedafied Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:39 am
rickrock305 wrote:
fobedafied wrote:

actually you are wrong about that...go load up a signal generator in your favorite DAW, set it to a sine wave somewhere around 50-60 Hz and tell me there's no bass there...no filter needed.

im sure you are right about a sine wave at those bass frequencies... :lol: i was referring to the "tone" "patch" that is in the s950, before any pitching or filtering... i dont think that the "tone" "sample" is around 50-60Hz unless you manipulate it... :wink:

By kebzer Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:23 am
I guess the best part about the 950 is that it's a pure 12bit sampler man. If you throw some nice drum samples in there, you don't need any filters at all, like in the 2kxl. You simply get the same effects, purely from the core of the machine with no filters or effects at all. Just, mids and lows punching the shit out of your speakers! :P

By rickrock305 Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:54 am
fobedafied wrote:im sure you are right about a sine wave at those bass frequencies... :lol: i was referring to the "tone" "patch" that is in the s950, before any pitching or filtering... i dont think that the "tone" "sample" is around 50-60Hz unless you manipulate it... :wink:

youc ould be right about that, i don't know the machine that well. but i do know the sound of it, and i like it.

By fobedafied Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:34 am
rickrock305 wrote:
fobedafied wrote:im sure you are right about a sine wave at those bass frequencies... :lol: i was referring to the "tone" "patch" that is in the s950, before any pitching or filtering... i dont think that the "tone" "sample" is around 50-60Hz unless you manipulate it... :wink:

youc ould be right about that, i don't know the machine that well. but i do know the sound of it, and i like it.

yea, i figured you werent that familiar with the machine... but to be more clear in what my post said, "tone" is the name of the "preset patch" "sine wave" that is loaded with the OS upon bootup... maybe my other post will make a little more sense with this understood... :lol: i dont feel like looking it up at the moment but if i remember correctly, the "tone" sound is a 10Khz tone in its original key...

By winz Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:55 pm
Nojus wrote:by weak i mean low in gain, somehow dull and with no character. like mpc2kxl and sp12 sounded big and more punchy.

---> the s 950 has no character???
---> the 2xl sounds more punchy???

no, man. no way. never ever.
had to say that.

i stopped sampling with tha xl since i bought tha s950.