Discuss Akai's iOS apps iMPC & iMPC Pro
By Coz Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:56 pm
Also, are people happy to have a £500 screen (the iPad) that has to cope with thousands of small vibrations from hitting the pads? I can't see how they will isolate the pad section from the screen housing.
By scoobylol Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:03 pm
Coz wrote:Also, are people happy to have a £500 screen (the iPad) that has to cope with thousands of small vibrations from hitting the pads? I can't see how they will isolate the pad section from the screen housing.

Will the vibrations really be any worse than tapping on the screen for general functions though?

Regarding the Fly casing, there's nothing stopping them adding a little fold out foot section like on a drawing board, which when not being used would be flat, but otherwise could support the screen at an angle. I know the picture doesn't show it, but that could be a prototype unit?

Not sure weight should be a concern for anyone either, unless you have osteoperosis or no arms. I mean come on, most of us here are coming from a background in rackmount gear, big workstations and crates of vinyl. People need to man up, I'd sooner carry this in my backpack than my S3000. :lol:
By Coz Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:16 pm
scoobylol wrote:Will the vibrations really be any worse than tapping on the screen for general functions though?

It's the vibrations that will pass through the whole iPad, whereas in normal use you're supporting it with your other hand and not really tapping it in the same way.

It'll probably be fine, but I wouldn't be surprised if heavy users eventually work a few internal components loose.
By psr Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:50 pm
DJ Hellfire wrote:
JamesJeffery wrote:Here is the MPC Fly. Leaked images by me. Say thanks.

Don't know if anyone mentioned this, since I only skimmed this thread. But the iPad is pretty **** heavy. The pad section is gonna have to be a bit heavier and just about the same exact dimensions (or slightly bigger) than the ipad to keep the thing from tipping back. Obviously (at least I hope), they have took that into consideration. But now how heavy is this **** gonna be together? And is the weight of the iPad gonna wear out whatever mechanism they use for keeping it in the tilted position?!

the ipad 2 is like half the weight of ipad 1
By DBM Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:10 pm
Vibrations ?
The iPad does not track vibrations it's capacitive so barring Akai do the object coding and follow the API's correctly should be no issue with triggering only what you intend .
Other than fingers going in the wrong place , but to be fair that can happen on an MPC or any midi pad just the same .
Edit : Never mind I misunderstood the dilemma there .

I have been using ShinyDrum ( free app ) for sometime now not to mention a few other " drum/midi pad " apps and I have never had any issues .

As for the weight the iPad 2 is 601 grams / 1.34 lbs ... Most of the Binder style cases are cardboard inside and they hold just fine .
Last edited by DBM on Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By modaly Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:39 am
If this is for real then the only facts I want to know is does the app support. .seq, .pgm, .aps, .snd files if so then the name fits.

I was expecting a similar product like the mpkmini, but will it have midi I/o.

27 hrs to go.

www.akaiprompc.com
By Ill-Green Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:27 am
temetrepo wrote:so, when is this one going to be finally announced or at least we can watch a teaser video?
NAMM is this week right???
shit can't come soon enough

Tomorrow will be the verdict.
By konc3pt Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:29 pm
JamesJeffery wrote:Here is the MPC Fly. Leaked images by me. Say thanks.

dude I'd hella buy this!!!

JamesJeffery wrote:
Blue Haze wrote:Damn Jeff you are on a roll with the info.

I got a old g iPad so I guess the mpc fly is out of the pic if I couldn't just use the app itself. :evil:

I got the first gen iPad too. I don't know about these newer iPads .

http://www.buyric.com/tech/2011/09/apple-ipad-vs-ipad-2-the-complete-comparison-025/
By JamesJeffery Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:29 pm
konc3pt wrote:http://www.buyric.com/tech/2011/09/apple-ipad-vs-ipad-2-the-complete-comparison-025/

I spotted a fault on that straight away. It says iPad 1 has no Java, but iPad 2 has Javascript Nitro Engine. Java is not Javascript :/ I know this is nothing to do with you he he, just silly article writers not clued up on the differences. So still, the iPad 2 don't have Java.

In all honesty though I really can't see any major differences apart from the RAM. But it's still not a massive difference.

Thing I hate about Apple is they could have added all the iPad 2 upgrades to the iPad 1. I mean iPhone Gen 1 had camera support etc. But, they know they could release an iPad 2 add a few additional features (camera, tethering, bit more RAM and processor speed etc.) and people will be lapping it up. They do it all the time.

Cheers anyway though. Was a nice read never the less :D
By konc3pt Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:43 pm
JamesJeffery wrote:Thing I hate about Apple is they could have added all the iPad 2 upgrades to the iPad 1. I mean iPhone Gen 1 had camera support etc. But, they know they could release an iPad 2 add a few additional features (camera, tethering, bit more RAM and processor speed etc.) and people will be lapping it up. They do it all the time.

Cheers anyway though. Was a nice read never the less :D

Ram and dual core processor are prolly main differences

yes that is very typical for them...camera on ipad2 sux, I dunno why it's even on there...