Discuss Akai's iOS apps iMPC & iMPC Pro
By Lampdog Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:45 am
bm hd is a different app, different company, not even a consideration.

Gotta read.

By Ripper7620 Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:41 pm
Lampdog wrote:http://intua.net/products/beatmaker2/

Thanks, I looked through that already & found no mention of AB, never the less found out it does support AB & I downloaded it while it's still on sale :P
By MeSoHordey Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:29 am
I've had a chance to play with the iMPC pro for a bit now. I have to congratulate retronyms for doing a great job. There is still some weirdness but so far it sounds fantastic.

I like so far:

Chopping is fantastic. This is the way it should be done in every app. I think the only improvement so far would be a zoom feature. But the fact that end points are nondestructive and destructive changes automatically trigger a save is really nice.

I don't like so far:

Can't figure out how to delete samples.
Can't figure out how to load all of the samples in a program folder
I would like to audiopaste in the new sounds screen rather than straight to a pad
By Metatron72 Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:40 am
I'm not sure you can delete samples. I do not like how its a situation of load 100s of singles in iTunes then you have to scroll a huge list like in the previous app.

It's a RAM hog. (I watched it go up 300MB with one PGM loaded and 13 MIDI notes entered). 44.1kHz only on samples. No MIDI Out, no clock send, receive or sync.

Doesn't show up in Tabletop.

No latency adjustment.

To load all samples in a PGM folder, you have to tap the name of the PGM in the upper part of the screen. I was thrown off by that too. So then any PGMs you've saved will be accessible there. Not the most intuitive implementation method in my opinion.

To me they've simply added the things that should have been there in the old app. And I won't glad hand them for that and a better GUI layout. The old app has an average of 2.5 star ratings I believe. This is a 3 at best.

Beatmaker 2 is far better than this typical half assed Retronyms showing. Sad they can't even match an app that is about to be legacy. BM3 will reign over this one with ease.
By MeSoHordey Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:01 am
I agree with your other issues. I'm on an iPad Air and at 70% ram capacity with very little running. Hopefully they'll optimize this.

I guess I'm appreciating song mode and chopping so much I hadn't considered that these should have been included in the original.
By Lampdog Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:17 pm
Ripper7620 wrote: no mention of AB, never the less found out it does support AB

It's mentioned there, lol.
By Bomber4000 Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:08 pm
Did find some bugs already.

- If you are in the Mode where you can view memory, help files, etc the pads are active on the screen on their normal position

- erase button doesn't work on the FLY

Also the timeline editor could be a lot better. Deleting notes is cumbersome and it doesn't always trigger the edit selection. What's wrong with a big DELETE button somewhere on the screen as that that is the most used function. And and Copy/paste aswell.
Selecting these features has proven (in my case) tedious with small notes and time consuming.