Discuss Akai's iOS apps iMPC & iMPC Pro
By STRATEGY_510 Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:54 am
I saw a video online and it looked like they connected iPad to MPK Mini (Mk 1) via camera kit, without having a powered USB Hub?

My questions are:

Can you connect MPK mini to iMPC and/or iMPC Pro without a powered hub?

Can you connect one or both with a powered hub?

Do either have decent built-in mapping, or is it some **** you have to map out manually to make it work?

Lastly, is $60 a good price for a slightly used MPK Mini Mk 1?

PS If it matters, I have iPads 2 & Air

Thanks in advance, really appreciate it!

STRATEGY
By Metatron72 Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:44 am
Not sure.

But if the power draw does need a hub should work. It's I believe a class complinat USB device/ no driver like the rest of the MPK/MPD series. (MPD16 only exception I believe)

You'd be putting the hub into the CCK the MPK into the hub.

****, unless the MPK has a MIDI map for MPC that is the classic Roger Linn map which is not chromatic nor a GM Drum Map.

They are $99 USD new so sounds good.

App mapping is as follows

Bank A

49 55 51 53
48 47 45 43
40 38 46 44
37 36 42 82

Note # 37 is pad 1A, Note # 53 is Pad 16 same grid as an MPC.

The rest of the MIDI notes needed to match the app are here on Tim Webb's Disschord site

http://discchord.com/blog/2014/7/11/imp ... tails.html
By coolderb Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:46 pm
I had to use a mini USB hub to get the MPK Mini MK2 to work with my Air. Without the hub (which is non-powered) I was getting a message that the device required too much power. The hub tricks IOS into providing 100ma out of the CCK instead of the paltry 20ma it sends to devices connected to the CCK when not connected to a hub. The hub is small and thin so not too inconvenient and has the added advantage of allowing me to plug in other devices at the same time such as my audio interface and Element.
By duustyfingaz Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:23 am
HI peeps
just joined this forum
purely out of frustration and was wondering if somebody can help.

I recently purchased MPC ELEMENT to use on my iPad mini
(which in the advert for the device says it works on ANY iPad)
I'm greeted with this device draws too much power!
I am using official lightning camera adapter and have tried a usb powered hub which
then told me device not supported.

What I'm asking has anyone else experienced this and what was the solution?

Confident this will be resolved so i can continue to enjoy what else this forum has too offer.

THANKS
By Ocular Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:46 pm
@coolderb: What is the make and model of the usb hub that you are using? I might have use for one also.

Edit: Reading is fundamental.
By coolderb Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:12 pm
duustyfingaz wrote:HI peeps
just joined this forum
purely out of frustration and was wondering if somebody can help.

I recently purchased MPC ELEMENT to use on my iPad mini
(which in the advert for the device says it works on ANY iPad)
I'm greeted with this device draws too much power!
I am using official lightning camera adapter and have tried a usb powered hub which
then told me device not supported.

What I'm asking has anyone else experienced this and what was the solution?

Confident this will be resolved so i can continue to enjoy what else this forum has too offer.

THANKS

You have to start the Element in low power mode: connect the cable to your iPad. Then, while holding hardware "TAP" button, connect the cable to the Element.
By coolderb Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:16 pm
Ocular wrote:@coolderb: What is the make and model of the usb hub that you are using? I might have use for one also.

Edit: Reading is fundamental.

I've tried a few. All have worked. including this one:

By duustyfingaz Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:36 pm
Thanks for the tip
All has been resolved.
You can put the mpc element into low power mode by holding down the tap tempo button whilst connecting the usb lead this works well without need for usb hub.

Thanks again
By coolderb Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:32 pm
Akai needs to slow down with the schizophrenic product releases. They designed a low-power, IOS mode into all of the larger MK2 series controllers but not for their most portable controller, the MPK Mini MK2. Their product support guy just sent a response that he would submit it as a feture suggestion:

Dan R (Employee) 13 minutes ago
You may have success with a powered hub and the Mini MKII for iOS devices. Apple's devices just don't provide enough power as it is.

I'll forward a feature request(s) for an Mini MKII low power mode for everyone here!

Thanks for the feedback!
By Ocular Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:40 am
coolderb wrote:I've tried a few. All have worked. including this one:

Good to know, thanks!