Share tips, tricks, gear set ups and videos relating to the use of MPCs in live performances including MPC finger drumming, MPC scratching, using MPCs with decks, computers and other instruments.

By Phatz Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:41 pm
good luck on the family visit....... my advise to you is to keep trying until you find it and it sounds good to you. I am more than sure your brother wont mind. Also it will be fun for the both of you. I sample my cousins drums often but his are completely mic'd up and all I do is plug into his board then capture his grooves........... There are many ways this can be done but you have to find what works for you best..........

Good Luck

By jontakiff Sat May 01, 2004 4:55 am
mwalker wrote:yo season what is your friend/bro name? is he famous? well, there are a lot of great drummers that can not keep time. FACT. your best bet is to keep it simple, just hihat, snare and bass drum.

question, how many times have you recorded a beat on a mpc and the timing was off? by the way it has quantizing :D

I don't know of any GREAT drummers that can not keep time. Some people say Keith Moon can't really keep good time - but of course those people are idiots.

Look, whether the guy is rock solid or not doesn't matter. You want him playing to a metronome so that you A) know the tempo of the beat and B) can get a stack of beats at various tempos for use later. In my experience, it's very difficult to get recorded drums that really sound ill enough to work for hip hop, but if you can get the sound, then you're on to something special, especially if you got a good drummer around. It's taken me years to achieve a good live drum sound, and one or two tips ain't gonna do it.

By elmacaco Sat May 01, 2004 5:18 am
Damn that's real.

By jonloc Sat May 01, 2004 6:59 am
jontakiff wrote:
mwalker wrote:yo season what is your friend/bro name? is he famous? well, there are a lot of great drummers that can not keep time. FACT. your best bet is to keep it simple, just hihat, snare and bass drum.

question, how many times have you recorded a beat on a mpc and the timing was off? by the way it has quantizing :D

I don't know of any GREAT drummers that can not keep time. Some people say Keith Moon can't really keep good time - but of course those people are idiots.

Look, whether the guy is rock solid or not doesn't matter. You want him playing to a metronome so that you A) know the tempo of the beat and B) can get a stack of beats at various tempos for use later. In my experience, it's very difficult to get recorded drums that really sound ill enough to work for hip hop, but if you can get the sound, then you're on to something special, especially if you got a good drummer around. It's taken me years to achieve a good live drum sound, and one or two tips ain't gonna do it.

Exactly, that is why I said just sample the sounds seperatly. but hey, whatever floats your boat. rock out with your c0ck out

By jontakiff Mon May 10, 2004 8:09 pm
yeah but you aren't getting the same flavor sampling the hits as with a live drummer

By Mindtravel Mon May 10, 2004 8:33 pm
people that cant tell the difference between live drumming and a beat made on an MPC should not be allowed to use the MPC untill they can....

By boywithpez007 Wed May 12, 2004 10:15 pm
I'll second that, its time to hand in your MPC Mr no ear....
Enjoy.BoyWithpEz