Share tips, tricks, gear set ups and videos relating to the use of MPCs in live performances including MPC finger drumming, MPC scratching, using MPCs with decks, computers and other instruments.
By sidestalker Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:02 pm
Heya..

In regard to the MPC 1000.
I'm looking to perform live with a sampler based unit on stage.
I intend on sampling whole backing tracks (around 4 mins per track and up to 10 tracks per set)
and wish to trigger each one of these simply by hitting a pad (or other midi device).
I also wish to sample single hits from my VSTi synths on PC and play them on a connected midi keyboard along to the sampled backing track.
I realise that it is only using JJOS2/XL that I will be able to play full instruments on a midi keyboard attached to the MPC 1000 from one single sample.
My question is would this all be possible at once?
I would need to change the synth samples maybe 2 or 3 times during each track, all whilst the long backing track sample continues to play. Will need to assign seperate midi channels for each sound etc.
Should I just settle for an old S5000 sampler on stage instead or could the MPC 1000 be pushed in this way?
Was really trying to avoid heavy rack mounted devices on stage..
All samples will be pre-edited and imported from PC to hardware sampler.
Have also been looking at the Roland SP-555 etc, but not sure that any of those will do what I'm after either..
I have loads of other outboard synths and effects for live but just needed to sample up VSTi's for performance and wanted to avoid using ADAT for backing if I can run it all from one unit..
Hell bent on NO laptops for live...! ;-)

Can anyone offer any advice?
Thanks..
By jimmie Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:10 pm
sidestalker wrote:I intend on sampling whole backing tracks (around 4 mins per track and up to 10 tracks per set)

Maximum of 128mb RAM = 11m44s available stereo sampling time. So, maybe have a separate project for each one or two songs (each track in the mpc contains event data, sample program, and much more. A song contains a number of sequences, a sequence is comprised of tracks).

sidestalker wrote:I also wish to sample single hits from my VSTi synths on PC and play them on a connected midi keyboard along to the sampled backing track.

Sure ting.

sidestalker wrote:I realise that it is only using JJOS2/XL that I will be able to play full instruments on a midi keyboard attached to the MPC 1000 from one single sample.

You mean by creating an instrument program and mapping samples chromatically? This can be done easily on JJOS2 and JJOS2XL.

sidestalker wrote:My question is would this all be possible at once?
I would need to change the synth samples maybe 2 or 3 times during each track, all whilst the long backing track sample continues to play.

Sure.. Just assign your different programs and audio track to different tracks in a sequence, then switch between them and/or mute/solo, etc.

sidestalker wrote:Will need to assign separate midi channels for each sound etc.

Set your mpc to receive midi on ALL channels and then to change the synth samples you can either switch tracks or change the sample program for the track you are on, which is quick and easy from the front screen and works whilst it is playing.

The mpc can send MIDI program change commands, programmed or live. It can also send MIDI CC. Both of these are useful for controlling your outboard gear, either programmed into your sequence, or with live tweaking :)
Note that the mpc is much more versatile with the sending of midi data than with the receiving of it. 2 X 16 midi out channels on the mpc1000. If you are looking for a sampler that can play more than one voice with two different, incoming midi channels at the same time then I think you'll have to look elsewhere.

N.B. This is all theory stuff here, because I've never actually done all this in a live setting in front of a crowd, so best to see what any1 with live experience has to say :P