Share tips, tricks, gear set ups and videos relating to the use of MPCs in live performances including MPC finger drumming, MPC scratching, using MPCs with decks, computers and other instruments.
By tapedeck Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:34 pm
Neko Neko wrote:Do people load each song into a bank of pads then use all four programs and all four banks for a whole set of different songs?

that's what I do. i try to convert all my programs to 'live' versions that i can then preload for the entire set. this means making things mono, cutting out the fat, reducing quality here and there...it really takes a lot of planning and a lot of button mashing to get it all right.
then, i set up tracks 61-64 to load the pgms into the appropriate DRUM slots by using the 'pgm' field.

its just the dues you got to pay working with vintage samplers. my biggest problem is that i often hit the max number of samples allowed in memory (256), because i have learned to utilise smaller samples vs larger loops.

your only other option is to get a 2nd mpc (maybe not a bad idea with prices these days) and load up one while the other one is playing. almost no sampler will let you load another program while you play a different program...the eps is an exception to this but that has a whole slew of other limitations you have to work around.

devote a night to 'housekeeping' and just get on it, it goes a long way to turning your machine into a live instrument vs a strictly studio tool.

Neko Neko wrote:Tapes rule.

amen.
By Neko Neko Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:16 am
tapedeck wrote:
Neko Neko wrote:Do people load each song into a bank of pads then use all four programs and all four banks for a whole set of different songs?

that's what I do. i try to convert all my programs to 'live' versions that i can then preload for the entire set. this means making things mono, cutting out the fat, reducing quality here and there...it really takes a lot of planning and a lot of button mashing to get it all right.
then, i set up tracks 61-64 to load the pgms into the appropriate DRUM slots by using the 'pgm' field.

its just the dues you got to pay working with vintage samplers. my biggest problem is that i often hit the max number of samples allowed in memory (256), because i have learned to utilise smaller samples vs larger loops.
Neko Neko wrote:Tapes rule.

amen.

Cheers for all the tips. Going to give this methord a whirl and see if i can get a set together.