Share tips, tricks, gear set ups and videos relating to the use of MPCs in live performances including MPC finger drumming, MPC scratching, using MPCs with decks, computers and other instruments.
By mr_debauch Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:51 pm
hey just do a little look into the BK models around the forum.. I read someone mention that.. the mpc1000-bk could have the old pads... but when they made the switch and started selling them with the new pads the model serial number was also updated to something else like mpc1000-bk(and then a number I think.. I forget exactly) someone here said it in a thread.
By Je Hones Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:15 pm
Yeah, I actually came across that thread the other day. The seller with the used MPC said they bought theirs in 2010, and it was manufactured in 2009. The recall was in 2007 right? The seller with the new MPC said that they got theirs about a month ago from Akai (it's a shop), so that one should be fine too, I'd think. It comes with a warranty anyway.
By mr_debauch Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:26 pm
well I would go with the shop one then... it's worth paying a bit extra to guarantee you the new pads... cause that would suck needing to drop an additional 200 bucks on that.
By Je Hones Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:17 pm
Well I asked the used seller and they said "It's a second generation MPC with the new pads. It's the blue one with the defect." But, I'm aware it's not just the blue ones, so I just replied and asked him to check the serial number for BK-N, and if it was just a BK, to wiggle one of the corner pads to see if it moves the others around it.

He does accept returns though.
By mr_debauch Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:29 am
oh good move! great that you got that covered... it is damn rare to get a new person trying to get involved in the world of MPCs.... and they do their research... this is simply the only reason I have been this involved with this thread for so long.
By Je Hones Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:40 am
Haha, thanks. I'm glad I've not been taking your help for granted then. It's in my best interest to be on top of it though, hence the onslaught of questions I've fired your way.
By Je Hones Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:32 pm
The used seller got back to me and admitted that he didn't know if the pads were the new model ones, just that they were fully working and that until I told him otherwise, it was only the blue ones that were defective.

He said the model number was BK, but when he wiggled the pads, the ones around the ones he was moving did move, suggesting they are the new pads. Is this enough confirmation to buy the MPC off him do you think?

If I did get it off him it's not like I'd have to pay for replacement pads, because he does accept returns.
By mr_debauch Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:11 pm
Je Hones wrote:The used seller got back to me and admitted that he didn't know if the pads were the new model ones, just that they were fully working and that until I told him otherwise, it was only the blue ones that were defective.

He said the model number was BK, but when he wiggled the pads, the ones around the ones he was moving did move, suggesting they are the new pads. Is this enough confirmation to buy the MPC off him do you think?

If I did get it off him it's not like I'd have to pay for replacement pads, because he does accept returns.

grab it then... I mean if it seems like it's not too worn out.
By Je Hones Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:31 pm
Sweet, and thanks.

It should come to about £320 including 128MB RAM + an extra stick of 64MB and postage.
By Je Hones Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:41 pm
Thanks a lot! Nah, that's my friend Chris singing. We wrote the track together, and are putting together an album which that track will feature on.

Ohhh, cool, you're from Manchester too? Where abouts?
By Je Hones Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:58 pm
Ah, nice. I'm doing a masters at Salford at the minute. Yeah, I don't live in the city, I'm about 6 miles away/a 25 minute bus journey.

Will do; I'll probably post the next track we upload from it in the 'Your Music' forum on here.
By Je Hones Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:27 pm
I ended up going for the brand new one instead. Got it for about £412 including warranty and postage (actual price was £458 but with the 10% Paypal discount it came to £412ish). I figured the other guy already had his for 2 years, and I'm intending on keeping this MPC around for a bit, by which point it would be crazy old, so I figured I'd just fork out the difference and buy new, and £458 new is a good price given that I've only seen them at £499.

It should be here on Tuesday, but it's a Christmas gift anyway so I won't get to play with it for a week or so.

Again, thanks for everyone's help.