Share tips, tricks, gear set ups and videos relating to the use of MPCs in live performances including MPC finger drumming, MPC scratching, using MPCs with decks, computers and other instruments.
By MPC-Tutor Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:34 pm

'The Dirty Drummer MPC Finger Drumming Kit' is a fully velocity-switched multisampled finger drumming kit created specifically for Akai MPC samplers and perfect for live performances.

Featuring the killer vintage style drum sound of Timmy Rickard, this kit is features full velocity switching with up to 3 timbres per pad and (where supported by the MPC OS) random timbre cycle, all giving you an incredibly realistic sounding vintage drum kit that can be used to create your own authentic sounding classic breaks!

A lot of time has been spent optimising this kit for many different MPC models to take into account the different program features available, differing pad sensitivities and in the case of the MPC500, to create a special 12 pad version.

The kit layout is designed for finger drumming, with special care taken to ensure multiple timbres are available to you even with 'FULL LEVEL:ON', including dedicated 'ghost' snare pads for easy to perform, realistic snare rolls. Check out the video of me performing some live breaks using many different MPCs:

Instruments included: kick, snare, rim shot, closed hat, open hat, ride and crash - everything you need for creating classic 60/70s breaks using only your MPC (80 samples in total with up to 16 timbres for each instrument available).

This kit works in all MPCs!

For more information, go to the product page:

http://www.mpc-samples.com/product.php/ ... mming-kit/
By DSTR / deStar Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:56 pm
I love this kit!

However, I'm wondering why it clips on the Renaissance.

• Should I lower the level of the main master?
• Or should I lower the level of the program?
• Or should I compress/EQ the program?

On the MPC 1000, the Master Level is set at -12 dB. So nothing ever really clips. But it's not the same on the Ren: as soon as I play with the kit (or start composing a beat in general), everything distorts and clips all the time.

What don't I understand?

Thanks!
By MPC-Tutor Tue May 07, 2013 11:39 am
Sorry, I only just saw this.

I'm not getting any distortion here - I set the kit up in the Ren to assume the master level was on maximum - even if I'm playing a few of the sounds simultaneously, it stays in the 'yellow', so not sure why it's acting differently for you. Have you got any effects running (vintage mode etc)? Also once you have other sounds in play, you'll have to adjust the track volumes as everything combined will push the overall output up.

But normally, I have the master level set slightly lower than the maximum set by the MPC.
By DSTR / deStar Tue May 07, 2013 9:02 pm
Hi!

Thanks for replying. Here's a video showing you the kit clipping: http://www.dstr.lafacade.com/mpcforum/red.mov

Both the MPC software (at 00:06) and my sound card "see" it (at the beginning).

I don't use any effects, and the master volume is full.

Thanks!
By QuentinB Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:04 pm
I've got almost all of the sample packs you've release except for the dirty drummer one. I'm thinking about picking it up but I'd most likely want to rearrange the pad layout to match the Quest for Groove layout. Would that break the layering or mute groups you have set up in this pack?
By MPC-Tutor Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:36 pm
In standalone, to move pads around in bank A I'll temporarily copy one or two pads to bank B, this frees up those pads in bank A. I can then copy stuff around in bank A and when I'm done I copy the pads from bank B back into bank A. Alternatively do this in the MPC Software, you can 'swap' pads by dragging while holding down CMD (I assume CTRL in a PC). So to swap pad A3 with pad A10, hold down CMD and drag A3 to pad A10 - the pads will swap with each other.