Share tips, tricks, gear set ups and videos relating to the use of MPCs in live performances including MPC finger drumming, MPC scratching, using MPCs with decks, computers and other instruments.
By Polido Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:14 pm
Hello everyone,

I've been using the MPC2000XL for little over 2 years now and I absolutely love it to chop samples and program drums mainly. I've never been too kean on using much software and the MPC does everything I need. Although lately I've been using Ableton a lot, still hate to program drums on software though.
I have a chance to play some gigs this year and been thinking alot about live performance and how I can incorporate my MPC 2000XL. I should mention that the kind of music that I make is Hip-Hop and am starting to introduce more electronic effects into it so I'm really interested in using effects live.
The main question: Can I play my MPC together with Live, launching clips and effects? Or are there too many latency issues?

If I had the chance to buy a MPD 32, should I do it? And this way I would be using the MPC solely for production and the MPD for performances. I've seen so many people using the MPD live and it seems really fun although I can't quite figure out how they set up their set in Ableton Live.
I leave here the perfect example of what I want to do (I am aware that he's using the m-audio trigger finger):

I know this may sound a bit confusing but I would really appreciate some feedback on this dilemma.

Thanks!
By MPC-Tutor Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:30 pm
The advantage of a controller is that you can map knobs and sliders to specific Live functions, but with an MPC2000XL you'll be much more limited into what you can control in Live.

It really depends what you'll be doing when performing, but I suspect you'd be better off with a controller based on what that guy is doing in the video. But if you intend on utilising more MPC-specific stuff (e.g. sequencer, 16 levels, note variation etc), you might want to rethink, or consider both the MPC and a controller for Live.

Off topic - but that guy should think about facing the crowd when he's playing, rather than twiddling away in his own world, all those filter cuts and whatever, each time he does it, it completely kills the dance floor, the crowd are like 'WTF?'.

He does it far too much, you need to use these things in moderation and also play to the crowd, not yourself :)

I'm going to move this to the new Live Skills section, as it's a more general Live performance question.
By Polido Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:36 pm
thanks alot for the reply! I think I'll just create a Live performance setup first and then watch out for mpd or trigger finger deals on ebay.

REFERRING TO THE VIDEO - that's just how Boiler Room performances are, the artists are invited there to play for the camera basically. It's more of a private party. I also feel that some effects were too exaggerated.