Share tips, tricks, gear set ups and videos relating to the use of MPCs in live performances including MPC finger drumming, MPC scratching, using MPCs with decks, computers and other instruments.
By cajunnate Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:10 am
Hi everyone, I'm kinda new to the forum, been lurking for awhile though.
I've been making beats for a little while now but mostly on my computer with Ableton. I got an mpc500 earlier this year and have slowly been figuring it out.
I was recently invited to do a live set in November so I'm trying to get at least 30 minutes together using mainly my mpc.
I'm going to try to post videos of the process of creating the set. I've found that by giving myself a deadline I've already learned a lot more about the capabilities of the mpc500. I'm still very much a novice though and would love any constructive feedback, especially tips for live performance. My goal is to find a good middle ground between finger drumming and automated sequences. I want it to be improvisational and engaging but also have something of a safety net so I don't rely completely on my own timing abilities.
Here's a video of me working out a beat for the set.
I'll try to post another soon where you can actually see what I'm doing.
By inflict3 Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:25 am
nice!! wheres the show?? what state??
By inflict3 Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:54 pm
cajunnate wrote:The show was in Baton Rouge Louisiana and it went great. I'm looking forward to tightening up my set and doing some more shows

nice, yea, I'm up in seattle, i know peeps who do live beat shows, they ask me if i want to, i always am so picky about my beats, i never do.. lol.. I've dj'd out before back in the days of just vinyl.. i too have toyed with the idea of doing live beats on my 500, i **** love my 500, but i make beats with so many different tools its crazy! i love chopping on the 500, i know I'm weird like that….ive thought about sampling my beats i made else where into my 500 and chopping em up for some live pad pushing… I've got a kaoss quad now and am really considering signing up for one of them live shows with that and my 500..
By inflict3 Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:27 pm
yup, it is, i mostly use the lp filter for sweeps and the looper for glitchy beat repeats..
By inflict3 Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:33 am
HouseT wrote:Can I create a live set with any mpc?

yup.,. I've been creating a beat set….well, i know u can on a mpc1000, 500, 2500, 5000, 4000,. I'm not sure about the rest.. the older mpcs don't have very much sample time, so I'm not sure how far u can get on those, but so far on my mpc500 I have 10 beats so far in my beatset program and i have 3min of sample time left. i started with like 12min or something like that..