Share tips, tricks, gear set ups and videos relating to the use of MPCs in live performances including MPC finger drumming, MPC scratching, using MPCs with decks, computers and other instruments.
By pituchez Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:45 am
damn shon.
this shit is **** dope as ****!

did you make it using samples? or vat?

i mainly got mpc to try a nd make beats. this is a good song. id jam it on ipod if there was mp3.

but im starting to like this live mpcing stuff.

might get into it
By NigelWindman Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:59 pm
Sorry dude! I've not checked this forum for a while

Glad you like it man thanks a lot :D

I used samples for the vocals and the drums (vocals I ripped from Youtube, drums were samples that came free with the MPC software)

Everything else I made using synth plug-ins through the MPC software (I don't know what MPC you have but this one only works through a computer with the Akai software - bit inconvenient but it does mean you can do a bit more). In fact I'm pretty sure that I only used one synth - The Bank (free with the MPC), it's pretty good.

If you want an mp3 for this tune I have it up on soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/4-squared
By NigelWindman Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:12 pm
I will DEFINITELY put some tutorial videos together in the future, but I am about to leave for Spain until some time in November and I won't be taking my MPC with me (unfortunately)

But start simple, it takes time and practice until you can start to get a bit more technical.

Start learning basic finger drumming (for a simple hip hop beat I usually have a kick on pad 2, a closed hihat on pad 3, and a snare on pad 7, but put them wherever feels more comfortable/natural. The Ren and Studio come with lots of cool drum samples). Jeremy Ellis has some good beginner finger drumming lessons on Youtube.

I often put bass notes on the top row of pads
Do you know how to use vst plugins in the MPC software? (e.g. The Bank etc.)
You can make bass notes through a vst by programming in a long note (eg. 4bars or more), then export as a WAV or MP3, then you drag that sound file into the software and put it on one of the pads. If you switch it from 'One Shot' to 'Note On' in the Program menu (located in the Lfo Mod tab of the blue MPC screen, or under Pad Play Modes in the computer software) it will only play for as long as you hold it down.

Now you can try dropping really simple one-note/two-note basslines over a beat. My tip is to start ultra simple and just drop one bass note at the sametime as the first kick-drum in your simplebeat. It's tricky to get both hands working at the same time at first but gets loads easier after a while.

I hope this will help you get started and sorry I couldn't post a vid explaining it just yet but I really don't have the time right now. If there is anything on here you don't understand just let me know. (And anything else you want to know I'll do my best to explain)
By NigelWindman Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:24 pm
Also, check "Live MPC Dub Loop" on my Youtube Channel (you can get there through the Election Dub video in this thread), it's simple and really sketchy because I'd only been playing the MPC for 2 weeks but it will give you an idea of a simple beat and bassline and how to combine them.
(The drum layout is slightly different than the one I described above, it is Kick on pad3, hat on pad4 and Snare on pad7)
By Star One Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:24 pm
Pituchez Luchez wrote:selektas? wtf u talkin bout

Originaly, Selector (Selecta) is the one who selects and passes the records (vinyls) to the guy that is playing them on the soundsystem. It originated in reggae/danchall music, but nowdays the word is used to describe a DJ (wich is wrong - but accepted)

So I showed it to (Using the term for Dj) some dreads from another Sound System over here.